Rimfire Ammo is usually not the problem

2 Likes

I have a Ruger 1022 set up for Nancy with an AR type stock loaded with CCI Velocitor 40 grn. HP.
with Ruger 25 rnd. mag. Nothing to sneeze at inside 25 yds. Also installed the new Ruger trigger group with 3lb. pull and a Red Dot with Nebo weapon light.

4 Likes

Not by choice, but if it’s all I had available I would.

3 Likes

.22 by far accounts for more firearm related deaths than any other. Yes, that includes suicides, but that number also includes homicides. On the Coates murder, it was a freak shot that killed Trooper Coates. The round entered through his armpit, and hit his heart. That said, I don’t want shot with it. I tell the 4H kids it is still dangerous several hundred feet out, so they need to know where they are shooting, and what is behind it.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the new Ruger FCG is outstanding. Smooth and crisp. CCI has never failed me. And I’ve shot plenty of it. In fact, I’ve never had a misfire with any rimfire. I couldn’t even begin to guess how many rounds I’ve put down range.

2 Likes

What do you mean by freak shot?

2 Likes

An officer, wearing a bullet proof vest, shooting the assailant with a .357 magnum, and the bullet misses his vest, arm, and enters his armpit at just the right angle, missing his ribs, hitting him in heart. That would be a hard shot to engineer if you were aiming to do it. For it to happen in a firefight, with what amount to a moving target, constitutes what I would call a freak shot.

1 Like
2 Likes

My carry when I can’t carry anything else.

2 Likes

Exactly. Many people are leery of rimfire for self defense mostly due to the possibility of a misfire. Definitely a valid concern, but with the proper preventive maintenance and cleaning, that can be prevented. We all know rimfire is the leader in carbon buildup/fouling.

1 Like

Understood. However, More than likely the bullet penetrated and received help from the ribs. Not sure it’s possible to entirely miss the ribs under the armpit.

2 Likes

From this, I’m tempted to put my 10/22 in a quick access location with its 110rd Drum mag…

1 Like

Great information.

1 Like

Basically, I would never count out any .22cal weapon. I’ve used them for years to hunt various animals and have not failed to kill anything I shot at. I feel the same as a lot on here that shot placement is the key every time.

2 Likes

The vast majority of people would not like to get shot by a .22LR. Unless they are really determined or under the influence of something, being shot will quickly make you re-think your life choices.

I think especially now with some options like the Keltec PMR-30 (30 round capacity), Taurus TX22 (16 round capacity) in handguns, and the venerable Ruger 10/22 with common 25 round (and I think up to 50 round) you could quite literally pepper someone with .22LR if needed.

2 Likes

You’re going straight for suppressive fire!

2 Likes

22 is better than a pointy stick but it would be my last resort before grabbing a pointy stick.

1 Like

There is a blog post by Kevin Michalowski that asks what caliber you’d rather be shot by… my answer is none.

A .22 isn’t my first choice, but it’s better than nothing.

2 Likes

How’s the saying go, a .22 in the hand is better that the .44 in the gun safe?

2 Likes

Hey Patrick, I respectfully disagree. It can be minimized, but not prevented. I’m meticulous with my firearm maintenance, still experience a much higher rate of failures with my .22 semi-auto versus both of my 9’s. Even with CCI I get rounds with clean strikes that fail to ignite. All of that said, I train enough with it I would be totally comfortable using it for self-defense.

1 Like