Rimfire Ammo is usually not the problem

A .22 would never be my first choice for self-defense, because in my firearms they have never been as reliable. That being said, I have no doubt that well-placed .22 rounds will stop 99% of threats. They’re affordable to shoot often, and I do so, so I would be confident because I can quickly clear the occasional misfeed or misfire.

1 Like

Understood.

1 Like

The problems with .22 are two. One, it is not uncommon, esp with cheap ammo, to find a round with little or no priming compound in the rim. Sometimes if they don’t fire you can rotate the round in the chamber and it will fire. Sometimes not. Problem is less with quality ammo, BUT it can and does still happen. Second, .22 (even .22 mag) is a very low powered round. Will it kill? Sure. Will it get a quick one shot stop? Probably not unless you get lucky. Anything from a mid caliber center fire will pack more energy, deliver larger entry and exit wounds, and will be far more likely to deter a threat from a single hit. A .22 is fine if that’s what you can accurately handle OR if that’s all you’ve got, but it certainly shouldn’t be your first choice if you’ve got options. Ask yourself one question- you are in the toolies and are jumped by a large feral dog, ( or mountain lion, or black bear). You have time to get off ONE aimed shot. Would a .22 be your weapon of choice? Thought not😏

2 Likes