22 LR discussion / video

I’m new here, new to the discussions group not USCCA. I found this video interesting. I’m not trying to convince anyone that they should carry a 22, just found the video/discussion interesting. I do know people that could/might benefit from carrying a 22 due to strength and injury issues.

3 Likes

Welcome @Gary5!

Good insight and definitely something to think about.

A few things probably needs to change before I would consider this option. 1) Availability of smaller 22 handguns ( have a smaller frame and a G43 or similar is what works for me); 2) reliability of 22 handguns; 3) reliability of 22 ammunition. I’ve run through a lot of different 22 ammunition and having a few FTFs each trip is generally expected even with clean firearms and supposedly good ammunition.

Maybe people starting to seriously consider the 22 as a self defense weapon will push technology to catch up.

2 Likes

I have no issue with the .22lr as a self defense round, except that .22lr is notorious for not being as dependable as center fire. Maybe a .22 centerfire cartridge?

3 Likes

Yeah, maybe someone should make it, like Winchester, and call it .22 Hornet :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I love my .22M, but again, rimfire.

1 Like

I may be able to get my hand around a 22 hornet pistol grip, but just barely.

The Hornet is a centerfire round, but the problem is the round is long, so a .22LR can be a BUG for CC, but a pistol in .22 Hornet would not easily fit that role. I don’t even know of any in a CC style/size.

I seriously considered a 22 for CC. But my instinct or confidence level pushed me towards a G43. I still will seriously consider buying a good 22 pistol but that’s going to take a lot of research. Right now I’m working on research about 80% builds.

2 Likes

I use CCI Stinger and Velocitor for Hunting and SD for many years and I can say I have never had a misfire.
I have taken game as large as coyotes and up, out to 100yds. :+1:

3 Likes

It seems people are missing the ‘22 elephant’ in the room; 5.7 x 28. This is a centerfire cartridge that does hold a “22 diameter” round and is already fit to at least two handguns in the open market. High velocity, ricochets, and spalls within the human chest cavity, can cause mortal damage.

Or are we trying to fit this all within a North American Arms micro revolver?

4 Likes

“if”, someone was to decide to carry 22 for Self Defense because of recoil sensitivity, injury, strength issues, or any other issue then that person should spend time practicing malfunction drills, we all should really regardless of caliber, along with regular target, shot placement, practice. And experiment with different ammo so that they know what/which ammo works in their fire arm. Know your fire arm and know your abilities.
The same applies for anyone that carries a 22 for backup.

4 Likes

I found a Glock 44 and think I’ll buy it. I just need to compare it’s size to a G43

Good video…and a lot of facts that people were missing.
I bought M&P 22 Compact to save on training sessions and to be honest started to feel very comfortable with this handgun.
It’s like carrying M&P Shield.
It’s also very reliable using good ammo.

But… it’s always but here… how to be sure 22LR will work the same as 9mm in self defense if I have never seen such situation.
I’ve heard that Israeli Defense Forces used it but those guys were smart asses…

2 Likes

I have G44 and G43. G44 is same size as G19 - much thicker, longer & wider than a G43.

2 Likes

Agreed, and I sure hope someone (Ruger) makes a carbine 5.7x28 in the near future. Or one could get a P90 if they had the money.

2 Likes

I agree with everything he is saying in the video. Back a few years ago when I was shooting 550 rounds of 22 thru the Ruger MK III and the S&W AR 15-22 every day 7 days a week for around 5 years. You would not want me around up to 50 yards with the MK III with just hard sights which I did not use or 100 yards with the AR out to 100 yards with a small trophy red dot. At the time about one inch group at 12 yards just as fast as I could pull the trigger with the Ruger. No one else in my shooting group could even come close to that. All of them were target shooters. Even today the Ruger is close by in the house with at least 3 mags.

2 Likes

Welcome Gary5…

.22LR is a good rd. If you have good shot placement, a .22 can be a viable self defense rd, though I would prefer at least a .32 or .380 or larger.

Some are small and carry a high capacity of rds, and may be easier to handle for some who are either elderly or have weak hand muscles.

It just depends.

Not a bad topic… though you may find some who poo-poo the idea totally.

1 Like

.22LR has been used in special operations for decades,… and is easier to suppress.

The Hi-Standard HD or HDM is an excellent firearm, and has a solid feel to it.

4 Likes

Ok, if you want to go to a small caliber centerfire cartridge, how about the. 25 acp? It was specially designed for short barrels, and kicks the same as the .22 lr.

think you’ll like this: https://www.guns.com/news/2013/02/21/the-high-standard-hd-22-pistol-dirty-deeds-done-dirt-cheap

1 Like