CCW denied

Can a CCW be denied based on “full-time” residency? I have two homes in California. I am registered to vote and live part-time in a CCW friendly County, work and live part-time in a none CCW friendly County. I put my legal address on my application , responded to all the questions, including my business address in the none CCW friendly county. I was denied CCW from the CCW friendly County based on not full time resident. They did not explain how they determined my residency. Also, they sent the denial letter to my second home and not the address on my application.

3 Likes

Well,… there you go!

6 Likes

Cali. Gun laws sucks for 2A. Citizens

5 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about this, but it is California. Personally I am a native born and raised person from SO California, I moved. Anyway, I want to say this first, I’m not a lawyer or anything. So take this with a grain of salt.
From what I understand if you have multiple homes in a state, you need to claim one home to be your permanent residents. You said you claim the residence that’s in the friendly county as the permanent address. So all correspondence should of been sent to that one. Being it is California someone may have a personal prejudice against gun owners.
I hope I’m wrong. Sorry I’m not much help.

4 Likes

I’m just curious, when you complete a Form 4473, which address do you use?

5 Likes

Maybe it wasn’t clear that the home you have in that county is your primary residence? Which one did you claim as your primary residence in your taxes? How about homestead exemption? Mortgage documents also ask if the home is your primary residence.

I am a registered voter in the CCW friendly county, I vote in every election, my driver’s license shows the address, I went through the rigorous process to get my Real ID. I receive jury duty notices. I have utility bills, bank statements, and credit report…

3 Likes

My CCW friendly county address.

2 Likes

They did not ask for any documentation. I have a California Real ID. I had to show, bank statement, US passport, social security card, utility bill and property deed. Not sure what else they would want. They did not ask for anything. They took my application, waited until the deadline and sent me a denial letter.

2 Likes

I am new to this forum, where is the ask a attorney section? I don’t see it in the list.

2 Likes

I’m not saying you did not provide the required documentation, but just mentioned what they may have used in their research to validate your residency in the county you applied for your CCW in.

1 Like

Could it be that the two County sheriffs compared notes?

I agree with everyone only a lawyer can clear up this matter.

3 Likes

Since they did not ask me any questions, I would not know what information they have and how to correct it.

2 Likes

Here’s a list, not necessarily an “ask a lawyer” section.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/attorneys/?_gl=1*g7pmcw*_ga*NzkwODE1OTQuMTU5MTYzNzY0Ng_ga_MFZ3H4HBX9MTYxOTI5MjA1MC41NzAuMS4xNjE5MjkzODgwLjMw&_ga=2.72526483.1865646545.1616991392-79081594.1591637646

1 Like

@sffdib Welcome to the community! Sorry hear about your denial. Is there a review process? Also, how does CA law define full-time residency?

2 Likes

Communism at its finest, escape Kalifornia! Better to live on the streets armed, than live in a home that is technically not your castle to defend! By Kalifornia standards!

3 Likes

@MikeBKY i believe is an Attorney in a different state. He may be better able to direct you to someone who can help though!

2 Likes

I wish I could help you @sffdib but you are going to need to speak with a CA attorney to figure this out. Have you called the Sheriff’s office to ask them why since it seems that you gave them all the info for your primary residence?

3 Likes

I reached out indirectly to the department and was told in confidence that the person who reviewed the application would have found any reason to deny me and to wait six months and reapply, but I did not want to take chances without solid ground. I have three federal and state licenses that require me to have clean record. The letter was threating and it says. "This denial is based upon a totality of circumstances identified during the application review process including but not limited to you are not a full-time resident of … County.
"California Penal Code Section 26180(a) states: Any person who files an application required by Section 26175 knowing that any statement contained therein is false is guilty of a misdemeanor.
“As of January 1, 1994, according to State law, we are required to notify the Department of Justice of all CCW Permit denials.”. The letter did not say anything about an appeal process or to contact anyone for questions.

4 Likes

You should contact a local attorney familiar with the CA process.

5 Likes