Carrying Between States, Reciprocal and Not

Agree 100%.
Of course, our Transportation Department can’t even sort out the 52 flavors of toll passes that truck drivers have to contend with on our Federal highways, so I don’t hold out much hope that they’ll ever figure out interstate firearm reciprocity (even if it’s already in the Constitution).

1 Like

If you live in a duty to inform state, there are two things you need to be aware of: 1) What does the law say? 2) What is local law enforcement doing? Finding out about the law is easy. Getting up to speed with local law enforcement can be a little more trying. For example, I live in a duty to report state. At the range where I work, we teach that if stopped in your car by a LEO to do the following: Pull safely out of the flow of traffic while turning on your overhead light (even during the day) and rolling down the driver’s side window 1/2 way. After stopping, place both hands near the top of the steering wheel with your fingers extended towards the windshield. If you have passengers in the car they should put their hands on the dashboard, or if in the back seat on the back of the seat in front of them. When the officer approachs your car you need to be aware that he already knows you have a carry permit (it’s tied to your car’s license plate number). Let them give you their opening remarks, which typically will be “Do you know why I pulled you over?” At that time say…

"Officer, I have a legal firearm (never ever say “Gun”) carry permit. My firearm is in a holster on my right (or left) hip (or wherever it is). My permit is in my wallet along with my driver’s license in my rear pocket (or purse or wherever it is) and my registration and proof of insurance is in the glove box (or wherever it is). Please tell me how you would like to proceed, and I will comply completely as you ask.

We developed this response in concert with local law enforcement (city, county and state). I only know of two people, legally carrying, that were pulled over. After going through this routine, the office informed them to “slow down and have a nice day.”

I know several guys that have this written on a 3x5 card taped to their dashboard…just in case.

Lastly, make sure you are not out cruising about with a car full of drunk fools (if you get my drift).

2 Likes

20 years ago I drove a big truck. there were times when I had to load and unload in some sketchy areas. one I can remember well was a place in NJ.

1 Like