Carrying at the Gym

I’d like to carry everywhere it’s lawful. This includes my public gym. However, lifting weights while carrying has proven difficult. Certain exercises either expose my gun or push it into my gut, which makes good form difficult on some movements. Does anyone have any experience with this and solutions that have worked for them? Is it as simple as tucking a shirt over it? Or buying longer shirts specifically for carrying while lifting? Just want an idea of what people are already doing.

1 Like

In practical terms, it’s just not practical to carry while doing all the things at the gym.

Lock it up and don’t carry while lifting.

It’s possible to have it in a bag and have the bag right next to you and within sight at all times but practically speaking, it also isn’t. When you’re, say, doing freeweight barbell bench press as an example, you physically literally can’t be watching the bag. When you’re doing all kinds of exercises, it’s just not practical to do the exercise properly and safely and with focus, and also be responsible for a firearm somewhere.

Lock it up and do your workout, my opinion/experience

Longer shirts aren’t going to do anything for concealing while wearing a lifting belt and doing squats…etc

7 Likes

When I’m at the gym my firearm is locked in my vehicle or left at home if I have several gun free zone trips to make.

The only way I can think of to maybe have it on you while exercising without being very uncomfortable would maybe be in a fanny pack that you could shift to front, back or side depending on the exercises you were doing. A belly band that you could shift around might work also. But either one of those is likely to draw attention especially if you are constantly shifting around.

One other option could be ankle carry. But that would require long loose fitting workout pants or probably even baggy pants with an ankle cuff so the handgun wouldn’t be exposed if you do any exercises with your legs above the rest of your body.

Regardless of method you would need to make sure you have a very secure holster that keeps the handgun in place with all that motion.

7 Likes

That’s what I do, I even sewed Velcro in there ( thank You for the Idea @Johnnyq60) so when the holster was in there I could make sure the muzzle was always pointed at the floor. I put my bag close to me, in plain view as far from the doors as possible, just in case someone decides to come snooping around.

3 Likes

I can’t recommend anything practical for your gun pushing into your gut but move it to your side. This would be a problem in a public gym. My next advice might not be as helpful unless it is an option. That is to build your own gym. Best I can do. Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the advice. Since I posted, I’ve been considering wearing a fanny pack as a chest sling that I can shift around my body as needed for different movements. I can AIWB on days I do cardio only (which I’ve been doing), but even then, the chest sling would be much more comfortable. I’m not really comfortable leaving my gun behind at home or in my car. It’s the same with leaving it in a gym bag that isn’t on my body. No judgment if you do either of those things. I just don’t like those options.

I was looking at packs marketed for concealed carry:

But they’re kind of expensive, and some of them look more tactical than I want. I would rather look like a harmless hipster who has an eighter of weed in his manpurse than an operator-wannabe dude with a concealed pistol in his tactical chest sling :joy:

I think I might just get a cheap one from somewhere that will fit my holstered gun. I just need to figure out how to attach the holster with some heavy-duty Velco to the inside of the bag. @Mike164 can you tell me what you did so I can give my idea a try? And I don’t know how to sew lol

5 Likes

Provided you can shift the bag to somewhere do-able for every exercise, this is probably the sole effective solution, for the reasons you seem to be thinking

2 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes

I have one of the Vertex fanny packs that also works as a sling. They are a little pricey if you don’t find them on sale. They have Velcro accessories you can get that make it very easy to attach different holsters to the inside of the bag. Several of their options don’t look at all tactical. Even less so if you get them in one of the none tactical colors. There probably aren’t many “operators” out there walking around with blue fanny packs. Well actually I suspect a few of the real ones probably are since they would rather blend in when in public settings.

1 Like

Maybe I missed it above, but what size gun are you trying to conceal? Maybe consider a micro 380 or ultralight J Frame revolver. The little Smiths have smooth round soft grips, so even if they press into your side, it’s not painful or uncomfortable.

2 Likes

I agree brother @Mike164 but the idea should be credited to brother @Nathan57 :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

I agree with @Shamrock and @Nathan57

My family joined a gym together last summer. I keep the gun in a locked, hard-sided case in my vehicle. The gym is one of the few places I go where I don’t carry.

If you can find a practical, works-for-you solution, that’s wonderful.

I see physical fitness as a great compliment to the gun carrying/preparedness lifestyle.

5 Likes

I stand corrected, but I do remember you were in the conversation…

2 Likes

i have what i need at home no need to go to a gym so i cant help with that

4 Likes