Carry Age?

Great question, @45IPAC! And my answer is that depends. Has the person in the Constitutional Carry state done any training? I would think that someone doing optional training would hold more weight than someone taking a required course.

If the person in the Constitutional Carry state has not taken any training, I think it would be a horse apiece and based on the totality of the situation.

In a Constitutional Carry state would the jury be more Second Amendment Friendly than a state that requires a permit?

2 Likes

*Please remember my intention when I ask these questions. I’m looking to help strengthen your argument by getting you to look at it differently in a friendly environment. My purpose is not to harass or frustrate you.

:slight_smile:

Most of the time I agree with what you’re saying. Having dealt with trolls on our Facebook page for years, I know a lot of anti-arguments. I want to make sure you’re able to positively respond to those questions.

2 Likes

That is my intent as well. I say, give us Constitutional Carry, while I urge those who are going to have a gun for any form of defense, to train with those guns. If you can’t afford “professional” training, do the drills ANYONE can do. If you can afford “professional” training, get the best you can afford, as often as you can.

And document what you do! Even if it’s dry fire practice at home very night for 10 minutes. Or following the USCCA or another reputable training organizations YouTube Channel and doing the training suggested on there. Or it’s reading the different self-defense books/downloads you can get from reputable training organizations.

The more you document your training and education, the better your defense will be. Someone who trains and is continually educating themselves on the laws and means to protect themselves will have a much easier time legally defending any physical self-defense actions they had to take.

This is the same argument over drinking age. You can fight and die for your country at 18 but you cant drink or defend yourself at home until you are 21. There needs to be consistency in our governments laws both at the state and Federal levels.

2 Likes

I like your argument, but here’s mine:

18 years old will fight and die for his country (God Bless Them), but under a commanding officer who has the proper leadership skills.

Basically, he’s not making decisions, he is following orders.

God bless our Armed forces :us::us::us:

2 Likes

Playing devils advocate to that is their commander is rarely out with platoons as they go outside the wire, he disseminates tasks and they get done. It is still up to every individual soldier to turn the safety off and fire their weapon.

3 Likes

On a PERSONAL level, I feel it is vital that anyone who is looking to carry a firearm responsibly should take at least a basic firearms safety course. As far as legally mandating that requirement, I can see how that could be a slippery slope. There will be a large and vocal group of pro-2A folks who would call me a traitor if I ever advocated for government-mandated training. I am honestly conflicted as to which side of the fence I would fall on if this kind of law was ever proposed. I have some soul-searching to do there.

3 Likes

I used to be a fan of the idea of needing a class, but then thought about it this way, in constitutional carry states people aren’t shooting each other left and right. I also think that for somebody that is bad off financially and lives in a bad part of town, the course, gun, ammo, and holster might be far too much for them to afford. I also don’t like government intrusion either.

3 Likes

Those are many of the reasons why I have really not ever pushed for the government to get involved in firearms training. Plus they tend to screw things up in general. As far as my own personal recommendations to fellow gun owners, I will always tell them that good training is very important. It is also very enlightening.

3 Likes

I think I’m with @James on this one. People in Missouri aren’t shooting themselves or others just because we’re constitutional carry now.
I like the idea of requiring classes, but I think that’s just it… the “idea” of it is comforting. Like a lot of things the anti-gun crowd puts forward, it may be about feel-good not actual fact. I’d be interested in seeing if there are real stats on CC class effect on actual events.

1 Like

… that being said, I’m a huge fan of training and suggest it to people all the time. Plus I’m going to get certified to be a trainer this weekend, so I put my money and time in to be part of that whole process. Still would like to see the stats on actual impact on safety before I get behind “required”.
Oh, and definitely 18 on age.

2 Likes

Hell NO! Even though I have taken many classes and train regularly, I do it because I choose to. I do NOT want government telling me I have to. I stopped asking “Mother May I” when I was nine years old.

3 Likes

As far as carry age is concerned, the Constitution says that our right to bear arms shall not be infringed. So not only should you be able to conceal carry a pistol at 18, you should also be able to purchase a pistol at 18.
As far as classes… It’s best for someone who is going to carry to take a class or mutliple to carry so they become familiar with the laws and ways of concealed carry get.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, @Gluon! Are you required to take a class to carry?

1 Like

I’m largely a constitutional carry kind of guy but honestly I think research shows that 18 is simply too young.

The human mind is not fully developed until between 25-30 and if we simply look at age related statistics for crime and driving this certainly bears out.

21 to me is the lowest reasonable age for carry of a handgun as the consequences of even one poor decision or moment of lapsed judgement are staggeringly high and irreversible.

3 Likes

An 8-12hr class does nothing but give you a basic familiarization with the laws and provides you no real training whatsoever on the responsible use or carry of a defensive firearm.

State requirements are based on the lowest common denominator.

1 Like

Really? Do you drive a car off of your own property?

1 Like

I can see your point about driving statistics, @WildRose. However, I have an issue with someone being old enough to enlist and fight to defend our country, but not old enough to carry a gun.

People mature at different ages and using the latest maturing end of the spectrum hurts those who are responsible. Woman also tend to mature at an earlier age. They’re also more likely to be victims. Should they carry earlier?

5 Likes

@WildRose, Charlie, I’m not sure why you are asking about my Privilege to drive on public roads? My point is I refuse to ask “permission” of government to exercise my Rights! That right to keep and bear arms was endowed by our creator, not government.

Did you have to get governmental permission to exercise your 1A Right to make your statements on this board? I thought not. I hope we can agree Rights are not the same as privileges?

Having said that you should know I am a huge proponent of training and education in many fields, not just firearms. Furthermore it should NOT be mandated by politicians who fancy themselves as my Master.

Welcome to the community and be safe out there!

2 Likes