Can you believe this $HIT?

Seems like “illegal” has been dropped from the vernacular in this country. It basically means nothing anymore. It’s a null word.

4 Likes

I guess it depends on what part of the country you’re in :thinking:

3 Likes

Tony Stark? Isn’t he an Avenger?

3 Likes

Don’t think there’s anything “technical” about.

Was going to say that but Levi2 here beat me to it.

2 Likes

I will say only this. You need to know the whole story about Paul Whelan. Even his own family agrees that the trade was proper and unbiased. A lot of the disagreement replies in the community to Ms. Griner was based on race and those who made the comments know that is true. Her imprisonment was based upon a medication she used for pain due to her athletic activities and she would not have been arrested in the USA. I’m not going to bash Paul Whelan. I just ask that you read more about Paul Whelan’s story.

The only thing I will say is, you Sir, have not been here long enough to know any of us to make a comment like that. Be carful, your bias is showing.

6 Likes

The mainstream media and the government is pushing intersectionality big time. The fact of the matter is this: Griner checks a lot of intersectionality checkboxes. Whelan does not.

We see the President stating he will nominate a certain gender and a certain race to the US Supreme Court. He wasn’t touting a certain expertise in jurisprudence as the basis for his nomination. He was touting a certain level of intersectionality. He openly stated that.

And now we are racist by observing the intersectionality and lack thereof of two of the prisoners held in Russia. Don’t assume we are stupid and wicked simply because we see a pattern developing based upon the words the man has said.

If we have made wrong assumptions we made them with a strong rational basis for doing so.

And you’ll note that I have not passed an opinion on the legitimacy of the prisoner swap. I am simply defending the legitimacy of those who think there is more at play here.

What everyone fails to mention is Whealen was dishonorably discharged from the Marines and the Russians refused to consider his release. Even his family understands and believes the right decision was made. The former president had several opportunities to get him out and no one said a word. Interesting!

1 Like

I didn’t really know much about Whelen’s case. Maybe he’s guilty; maybe not. I just found it curious that I had never once heard of his name on Wednesday, but by Thursday everyone was yelling and screaming as though he was their favorite uncle.

I hope the attention helps his case so he can come home, but I find the sudden outrage a little disingenuous.

1 Like

Does guilt on Whelan’s part really matter now? Grinder was guilty, and she’s going home. Sure, we could examine his whole life, but if we do the same with griner, would she be squeaky clean?

In my opinion, it’s crazy how quickly they got her out compared to him. Some say, ah well his case is different, so it’s harder to get him out… I can see that, but look at all the things the government has done and has the ability to do… they couldn’t figure something out in four years? Seems like they might not have tried as hard as they want us to think they have.

5 Likes

Really, where are you seeing that Paul Whalen’s family thinks it was a good trade? As for the thc, more than likely she was briefed on what she could bring legally and what she couldn’t bring. Just because thc is legal in an American state does not make it legal in a foreign country. It’s not legal to transport in your luggage, let alone bringing it to russia. If you have a Concealed Carry permit in Illinois does not make it legal to carry in another country.

4 Likes

That is false. You are the only one that made this about race. Only one other person mentioned race and it was not a racist comment. @Brad, “In the new equality, a black, druggie, American hating lesbian is worth way more than a patriot…at least in America. Sick world.”

If you had any knowledge of us, you would know that there are a number of regular posters here that are minorities, women, etc. We are not a bunch of old white men. Granted there probably are a lot of old people here, but white is only one part of who we are. The fact that you continue to raise this issue makes it appear that you are the racist. Firearm ownership is not racist.

I am not sure of that. One story, linked above, states “Griner was arrested in February for possessing hash oil.” Unless I am mistaken, that is not the same as CBD (?), which supposedly does not contain THC. Regardless, she was not in the USA. If you do not abide by the laws where you are, you will suffer the consequences when caught. Your comment is like if I went to Maryland and got arrested and imprisoned, I should be exonerated because in Virginia I am allowed to carry. That is not a rational idea. States and countries have their own laws, break them at your peril.

She learned a hard lesson - one she did not need to learn. Her stupid mistake has cost this country at least millions of dollars - and the release of an illegal arms dealer.

4 Likes

I am tired of hearing this line. It does not matter one bit what would happen in the USA.
If you are travelling to a foreign country, the onus is on you personally to ensure what you can do here may not be something you can do there.

The lack of personal accountability these days is so depressing.

In my mind she is no more than a common criminal. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am personally disgusted by this whole situation.

7 Likes

I’m usually pretty cordial and congenial when the enemy has complete control over my loved ones life functions!
My impression is you would tell the kidnappers/jailers to F.O.?
You’ve obviously never had a gun pointed at your head. That’s when you learn the meaning of, YES and MAY I.
Never let your mouth write checks your body ( or the bodies of others ) can’t cash!

To be clear! A decorated Marine vs an anti American, she druggie. I don’t care if Mr. Whelan was her drug dealer, he served this country and signed up to give his life for she’s freedoms, what has SHE done for you or this country, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and deserves to rot.
Furthermore, I don’t give Flying… what color it is!
It was ANTI-AMERICAN, she/it whatever, don’t like this country STAY OUT.
Everyone is touting “we always bring AMERICANS home”, let’s get something straight,
SHE IS NOT AN AMERICAN! SHE’s ANTI AMERICAN! How many REAL AMERICANS ARE STILL IN AFGHANISTAN?

Now I know the meaning of a KI$$A$$, it’s when the most powerful, dumb dumb, trades an ARMS dealer back to the enemy he’s at war with!
I’ve seen a lot of bad movies, this rates a “rotten corpse” you can start counting them in the weeks to come.

“she would not have been arrested in the USA”.

EXACTLY, so she got EXACTLY what she wished for! Went to Russia thinking, “I HAVE RIGHTS” Only in the UNITED STATES of AMERICA do you have such wonderful rights and liberties ( that people like her/it/she take for granted) and for that she should be kissing my A$$ and Mr Whelans!

When and if the world is set straight on its axis, you’ll want to pray you never get imprisoned in a foreign land! We don’t negotiate with terrorists! Or do we?

This mistake is going to become ( Is ) a terrorists dream come true! You can’t have ISIS without Is! Maybe we can get a better definition of what “is” is!

6 Likes

Some times I think the Marine took an oath to defend the country and they don’t want someone who will fight if they try and take over the country.

1 Like

So who do you think we trade for Snowden! Whoopi?

3 Likes

I also think it’s sad that the USA no longer has the same level of strength in these negotiation processes. That’s relevant here at some level I assume.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, the USA doesn’t have a lot of things it used to, thanks to the people that run it.

9 Likes

Correction, he received a Bad Conduct Discharge. Nonetheless he was caught with information he should not have had.

4 Likes

Rather scathing comments from the Russan media. :thinking: We are the laughing stock of the world.

One comment.

“Of course, I was very amused but not surprised that Bout was exchanged for Griner and not Whelan,” a moderator said on the broadcast, according to the translation. “He is a hero, a decorated Marine covered in medals. He only has one… no two… no three problems. His first problem is that he is white. His second problem is he is a man. His third problem: He is a heterosexual. This is not something that can be forgiven today. It’s just a catastrophe. Yes, here Griner beats him in every aspect.”

Russian media brutally mocks United States for Brittney Griner (msn.com)

9 Likes