Can I keep my CC if I've been evaluated by a psychiatic doctor

Hello everyone, I have a question? I am a retired veteran of 22 years service. I have alway owned a weapon and trained to be a responsible gun owner. Over 9 years ago I spent 7 days receiving psychiatric revaluation. The doctor did not tell me I had to get ride of my gun. It was was not in the state I live in new. My worry is losing my license to carry?

9 Likes

Welcome to the community John. As long as you’re not psycho, you should be fine even if you are psycho. As long as you’re not the type that kills or scares innocent people you should be fine.:wink:

3 Likes

@John1365 Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you with us. :slightly_smiling_face:
After nine years why are you worried? Unless you were adjudicated mentally ill by a Doctor and or a Judge I wouldn’t worry, don’t ask, don’t tell.

8 Likes

The Lewiston shooter had his weapons despite being INVOLUNTARILY COMMITTED for a two week period last June iirc. Personal experience, deeply personal, leads me to the following sentence.
I’d say you have nothing to worry about.

9 Likes

John Welcome to the Uscca Hotel Continental,
You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave!

My serious advice is : “Don’t tell, don’t ask”.
YOU ARE FINE!
That time you were (re) evaluated was a long time ago.
Do you feel OK?
Are you solid?
Just climb aboard and enjoy the ride.

Thank you for your SERVICE John 1365 !

Warriors welcome here 24/7! OORAH!

WWG1WGA

6 Likes

It seems like a question for the issuing authority.

If there’s anything I’ve learned during the application process, answer only questions they ask, and answer them honestly.

6 Likes

Welcome

3 Likes

Not psycho, thank you.

4 Likes

We all heard about the mass shooting in MAINE. For some reason news media always paint a veteran as a threatening factor in these cases. And no, I was never been adjudicated as mentally ill.

8 Likes

Thank you Don102, that’s sound advice yet it could get a person in trouble if ever involved in a incident with a gun. I’m better than okay and solid, thanks for asking. I appreciate that.

One other reason I ask that question is, we have to know the laws of the state we live in. Many of our brother and sister veterans don’t.

Thank you for your SERVICE Don102

OORAH!

4 Likes

Thank you BeanCounter,

To my understanding and research, I’m good because I was need forced to go, or labeled as crazy by a doctor or judge. It was just a conern given what happened in MAINE.

3 Likes

No one can say for sure as the classification is arbitrary and driven by the subjective determinations of your psychiatrists. I would not ask the question.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @John1365 and we are happy to have you here.

2 Likes

You should take a look at this thread. Seems that the VA will strip you of your right to possess firearms if you appoint someone to handle your affairs.

Kennedy amendment - Legal & Second Amendment - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

3 Likes

Yes, that is partly true and partly not true. The key words concerning any situation like this or remotely close are (involuntary & forced) by a judge or doctor.

Because there are hundreds of mental health issue and diagnosis. It’s so very common for people to put everything into one category. Which is the big problem.

Also, I am not going to ask the question because of that underlined fact and how it is used against law abiding gun owners and veterans.

Thank you Mark697, I appreciate you taking out the time to reply.

2 Likes

Yes, that is true and something I will never do.

2 Likes

Then you have little to worry about, that is what we are trying to say.

4 Likes

.tc
ojty

1 Like

.tc
ojty

O.K.??? May want to try that again. :thinking:

4 Likes

Was that a butt text?

3 Likes