Background Check Unresolved

Hi folks,

I’m a new gun owner in Nevada. Took some safety courses after receiving my gun and also plan on obtaining a CCW permit; have already signed up for class.

What’s bothering me though is that I purchased my gun with an unresolved background check. I’m worried that ATF would be knocking at my door to confiscate my guns that I’ve spent $$$$ on. I’m confident that I don’t have any major red flags in my history. A little confused why my background is unresolved.

Will USCCA be able to help my case and get a attorney to make me the rightful owner again if suddenly I’m in a position to give up my guns to ATF?

I’m a responsible gun owner just wanting to protect my family.

5 Likes

If you bought it recently, it may just be backed up March was the biggest NICS check in the history of it. I wouldn’t jump out of any buildings, just yet.

6 Likes

You should probably obtain a copy of your record. This can often be done through a police department or Sheriff’s office. It may give you an indication of what is going on.

6 Likes

This was maybe 5 or 6 years ago, (no firearm hording or back logs at the time) I went with a buddy who just got out of the Army to buy a few firearms. I have a LTC here in TX and was basically rubber stamped, no problem for me. My buddy, they said he had to wait, even after submitting the NICS check there in the store he was told some sort of unresolved thing or hangup as well. It was about 3 days later they called him and said all is cool and he could come pickup his firearm.

Were you just recently in the military or something along that line maybe? Have you moved recently? He was just back from overseas as well and didn’t really have a permanent residence established for more than about a month.

5 Likes

Yes, this was recent. Purchased early this month.

4 Likes

Thanks, Mike. I will look into that.

4 Likes

That’s interesting. Gun shop told me the same thing after 3 days, I can pick up, but then didn’t say I was cleared with my background, just told me it’s unresolved but I was allowed to purchase anyway.

I’m not in the military.

Been in Nevada for 10 years. Moved from California. I might have something on my record from when I was a teenager, but judge told me it’s been sealed. Never been to jail or committed anything violent. So technically, I don’t have any other record that I know of besides this little incident when I was a minor.

4 Likes

Background checks flag for all kinds of strange reasons. Even being too clean. I was in the military and had a standard Secret clearance and had no problems buying guns. When I got my TS + other letters I got hung up every time. Got rid of it and I was back to 10 minute wait time. Just no telling.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

If I remember correctly NV a few years ago passed new gun laws. And in the new laws it was that the NICS was to start being done by the Federal system. But there was a problem. NV used their own Background Check system and was not connected to the Federal system. So therefore background checks were not able to be done on the National System. And I never heard if they got it fixed or not. This might also be part of the issue. Just thinking it might be a reason but not sure.

3 Likes

Question.
If it is unresolved, you can still purchase the firearm after a specified number of days, or hours? Depends on state perhaps.
The unresolved category may be a name similarity or some other issue that prevents a clear search result?

A good idea to request a copy of your record.

3 Likes

Had a TS / SCI + and special programs but that was over 20 years ago, and never did have a problem.

The only issue I ever had was DMV pulled two driving records… but … well never mind.

3 Likes

I’ve seen background checks come back after 5 min and after 5 days. Most states have an unresolved background check status that they will release the firearm if the background check doesn’t come back in a timely manner.

It sounds like you’ve purchased other firearms as well (“confiscate my guns”), if you’ve been through background checks before, I’m thinking it may be the timing of the purchase.

The purpose of the USCCA membership is to help our members after they’ve had a physical self-defense incident. This situation doesn’t sound like it would qualify as a physical self-defense incident.

Hope that helps, @JeepCaliber!

4 Likes

I have spoken to 2 people over the last 2 weeks that had issues arise. One was an older gentleman who served in Vietnam and after returning home was cited in 1971 for possession of marijuana along with 9 other people who were in the beach house where he was. After review, he was approved.
The other is a man in Louisville whose relative filed for a Mental Inquest Warrant against him in mid 2000s. The MIW was served and he was picked up by police at 4:00 am and was taken to University Hospital where they discharged him 3 hours later noting the allegations were unfounded. The case was dismissed a few days later but it still remains on his record. I am working on getting his rights restored.

While these is not self defenses incidents, USCCA will help you find an attorney. The 1971 case is a relative and the 2006 case was referred to me by USCCA.

2 Likes

It’s not a big deal at all. I went through this less than 2 years ago. I bought 3 guns in 2 days so I had B2B NICS checks. After 3 days I picked up the gun and all is fine. The dealer said it can be a number of things that are pretty meaningless. I have a pretty generic name and DIDN’T use my SS # on the form. There are a number or people with my name on the no buy list with the ATF and that was likely the cause. I always use my SS now.

How generic is my name??? I got up one morning to see that I died. Every single person I knew locally called me just to make sure it wasn’t me. I also received a warrant for my arrest in the mail and that I should turn myself in.
Fun times.

2 Likes

I had my first trouble(s) a month ago or so.

My whole entire life, BOOM, done, go home with a new tool but this time he came back and said 30 DAYS.

Don’t worry, I got it MUCH quicker but I complained to my representatives for yours and anybody else sake pleading your EXACT case. People must be able to obtain firearms according to their state laws[Not that I believe in gun laws but just stating fact] but people could have died from this FBI nonsense. I was fine, plenty of tools around here but INFRINGEMENT will not be tolerated.

2 Likes

Some states allow records check online. I live in Washington State which recently enacted I639, there is a training class we need to be certified first in order to purchase a long gun (rifle) however not for a pistol? (Rhetorical) I’m all for it, as long as gun rights Aren’t infringed. Reports Are generally a small fee and may charge per page or by transaction. Hoping it’s just time with everything back logged. I picked up several guns, wait times varied based on establishment. Pond shop was 12 days, sportsman’s warehouse was 5 days & I picked up several rifles & 2 different pistols. Best wishes sir, stay patient and diligent, always ask for your NTN # if delayed and you can submit for an appeal directly to the FBI and request a “upin” if you feel there is felonious info on your background. That UPIN would be indicated on your form 4473 & allow your transaction to be processed faster. Best wishes

2 Likes

I too just recently got delayed for 3 days when usually the check just goes right through. I’m here in Arizona. What chaps me is I already owned the shotgun was attempting to pick it up from pawn. The clerk stated for me to come back the 9th of may no matter what happens. I too was wondering if USCCA provides help if for some unknown reason I’m denied. I have never had a felony.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Keith25. My understanding of the USCCA Member Agreement is that protection is provided for self defense incidents. It does not provide assistance with delayed background checks or prior or mistaken criminal or mental health records that may cause a problem.

3 Likes

Thanks for your responses and comments everyone. This has been helpful.

I still own the guns I purchased with my unresolved status. Hopefully after the 90 days I can feel a little better - I believe that’s what it is - they’ll void or cease to pursuit research of the background check is what I heard.

1 Like

I live in Nevada and going through the same issue with a unresolved on my background check, what gun shop did you buy your firearm from