CA upcoming CCW requirements

Got this letter from my Sheriff’s office. Pretty nuts what CA is imposing on law abiding citizens when the criminals just have to buy off the black market.

3 Likes

“ 1. Restricted Areas: To include, but not limited to, privately owned businesses. There are specific locations where carrying is prohibited; please refer to our CCW website at PlacerSheriff.org. This list is extensive”

I bet it is extensive!
You can only carry in your own bathroom?

7 Likes

Guess now I need to take “mental Health training”. And, I have to provide references for my CCW process.

Come the New Year, all CCW instructors will not be able to teach either. Apparently there are three classes of instructors allowed to teach CCW starting the new year. First, military fire arms trainers. Second, police fire arms trainers. Third… Well one sheriff inquired up the chain and apparently no one know what that third level of classification is. My local range I use to recert has stopped all CCW classes until instructor qualification can be determined.

Also, requal classes are now 8 hours instead of the 4. Not sure what to talk about for those additional 4 hours except how the CA democrats are making it harder for common folks to protect themselves.

6 Likes

That’s enough to make me relocate

8 Likes

And people are complaining about FOID in Illinois… :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

My permit is up for renewal in January 2024.
I might no longer renew because of the prohibitive requirements.
References? It’s not a job application.
Could be their intent and expected outcome.

6 Likes

Move East young man! :grinning:

7 Likes

Just finished reading Judge Carney’s 43 page opinion. Quite interesting how he wrote this so quickly. He addressed each of the State’s claims for SB2 and shot them all down with the same basic tenet. I recommend everyone to read to get a good understanding.

1 Like

This is exactly what the anti-2A folks want people to do. The restrictions on trainers essentially eliminate over 90% of qualified trainers. Thus making it extremely difficult for anyone to find a CCW class to take. In this regard, numerous sheriff departments have queried the DOJ about the qualifications and the DOJ has no guidelines for instructors to follow that would not put some type of severe burden on qualifying as an instructor.

I heard one video note that there are over 400,000 CCW applicants in the back log.

4 Likes

Reading a 43-page opinion is frustrating for a non-legal expert like me, especially knowing legislature doesn’t care what it contains.

4 Likes

Let me guess, it says one thing 43 different ways?

4 Likes

Yep. The Judge addressed each item one by one. One video noted that it was like reading a children’s book. “See Spot Not Present Any Valid Historical Evidence”, “See Spot Restrict Citizen’s Rights”.

5 Likes

build a wall around ca and only let out the gun owners never let the commies out or their ideas ever!!!

4 Likes

Don’t you just love the last bit where it says he supports and will defend your 2A rights!

3 Likes

I applied on 1/1/23. A freaking YEAR ago. And whenever I get it, it will be practically useless. Worried about getting carjacked at a gas station? Too bad, they sell lottery tickets so it’s a “sensitive place”. Need to go to your FFL? Sorry, but it shares a parking lot with a bar, so “sensitive place”. Want to go run errands? Only if every store owner specifically allows and posts signs, else you gotta disarm in your car. Get your weapon stolen because it’s mandated to be in your car, too bad, lose your permit for being “a careless carrier”. Post stuff on social media the tyrants don’t like? Not getting the “right” to protect yourself from criminals or tyrants.

7 Likes

Fortunately Cpgumby, this part of SB2 was shot down by the judge. But it was the attempt by the anti-2A libs. If you started your CCW application, you should be good. Question is, when you get it since there is such a huge backlog of people waiting. Keep on top of your sheriff about the status.

4 Likes

True, the sensitive places part of SB2 was challenged and temp injunction issued. But of course Commiefornia has already used more of our tax money to challenge it and continue to infringe on our rights. The CCW issuance issues haven’t been challenged yet. They are still going to radically reduce the number of instructors, double the cost and time, require psychological evaluation and access/review of social media accounts. This SB2 is an abomination. Worse is they have the advantage of a practically unlimited amount of (our) money to do this. Even if they eventually lose years later, they just write another slightly different version. Rinse/repeat. Yes, my Sherriff has said my current application (already waiting for a year) will proceed under the current rules. But it will have taken a gross amount of time, cost almost $1000, be practically useless as to where valid and only good for two years.

4 Likes

Looks to me like they are taking a God Given Right and turning it into an industry, fed by Government/X-Government employees.

4 Likes

Not sure why police or especially military trainers would be allowed to instruct civilian CCW classes when civilian instructors are not or must go through some extra training? Police and military have very different problems to solve and rules and regulations to deal with than civilians.

Obviously the law was written to significantly reduce the number of instructors and therefore the number of people able to get licenses. There is nothing in this law that makes anyone safer.

4 Likes

Exactly. Any method to prevent citizens from protecting themselves.

5 Likes