Buying a handgun for my wife

My wife and I recently got our CCW’s in the state of Ohio. I want to buy her a handgun as a present. We have looked at many and she knows what she wants. She wants a Shield M&P EZ in 9mm. Can I legally purchase it for her or do I need to take her and have her buy it?

8 Likes

YAY!!
I’m glad she knows what she wants. Why would you buy it for her instead of her buying it in her name?

Can you purchase it for her? It depends on the state where you live. I would suggest checking with a local FFL to ensure you are able to purchase it for her (as some states consider all of your property as her property as well). I’m assuming you’re trying to avoid a straw purchase (which as you know is illegal).

Personally, I’d take her and have her buy it as it’s a great experience to be able to discuss with those who ask about purchasing a gun.

13 Likes

You are correct. I do not want to make a straw purchase. I do know that Ohio is not a community property state. I will take your advice and have her buy it. Thank you for your quick reply.

7 Likes

First of all I want to congratulate her on her choice of firearms. :+1::+1: I believe if she’s going to carry the gun they will want to do her record check at the gun store or through an FFL. If you purchase it for her and transfer it through an FFL I believe you can do that also. Either way I believe will work. Carry on.

11 Likes

I agree with @Johnnyq60, nice choice. My wife qualified with the same gun, borrowed from her instructor, and decided that was what she wanted. I bought the gun for her online as a present, but had her do the FFL transfer under her name.

9 Likes

@Seth70, that’s so great gift :+1:

No matter what State, I’d suggest to let Her buy it. Especially these days.

If you want to make a surprise, just create a “voucher for MP9EZ”.
What I mean by that is firearm’s picture print out with some nice words. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

The words can say HONEY I LOVE YOU THIS GUNS FOR YOU, IF THEY TRY TO ROB YOU YOU GIVE THEM WHATS DUE. :joy::joy:

4 Likes

I’m sorry @Jerzy you left that door open.

2 Likes

I have bought 2 guns for my wife, the first one was a tiffany blue SCCY CPX-2, the 2nd, which I have not given to her yet is the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield EZ 9mm. I live in Tennessee where there is no gun registration and private sales or gifts are not subject to background check.

5 Likes

Take her with you and surprise her by going to the shop and telling her to get it and you pay for it and tell her you love her so you are buying it as a present.

3 Likes

FYI - https://www.uslawshield.com/given-a-gun-ohio

3 Likes

Thank you Mitch. That is great information to know. I think I am going to take her to purchase it so that she can experience it. I know that several of her friends have now expressed interest in getting their CCW. My wife can be a resource for them.

2 Likes

You’re welcome Seth70 - Best of luck - still trying to get wifey to buy into the whole gun thing -

I need her to come to the range I use https://shootpointblank.com/location-merrillville where they offer “couples night” weekly.

stay safe my friend

Stay safe my friend

2 Likes

Straw purchases are something we need to prevent, but there are times when someone purchases a firearm for someone else as a gift.

I received a shotgun as a gift, I will not say how many eons ago, but I still have it and it still works as well as it did then…

Is there a big difference between purchasing a long gun and a handgun in regards to gifting?

2 Likes

Still some breath in the Constitution in Tennessee…

2 Likes

My wifey wanted to buy her own gun, I have to sneak it out of the house if I want to shoot it😁

3 Likes

Possumslayer1, I just might have to do the same thing. I took my wife shopping last night and had her purchase her own firearm. She chose the M&P EZ in 9mm. It feels like a fantastic firearm. It was much easier for her to use then my Sig P365. We are going to the range this weekend. She is excited. Thank you to all of you for sharing your experiences and advice.

2 Likes

Hey brother @Seth70 that’s all you need to know, shes happy with it and it feels good and comfortable in her hands and it’s reliable.

2 Likes

I don’t believe Ohio has any registration or permit requirement to purchase a weapon. Private treaty transfers are not regulated by state or Federal law except it is unlawful to sell to a prohibited person. So, you should be able to purchase the weapon for your own use, however short that may be, then transfer the gift to your wife who is not a prohibited person. You can query the internet on this topic re: Ohio law on firearms transfer. Here’s one link https://www.cashmyguns.com/blog/how-to-sell-a-gun-in-ohio/

2 Likes

This question is one that may depend on what state you live in and if there are local laws are legal and enforceable. A castle doctrine state protects your right to self defense by legal means.

Randy

1 Like