Out of state purchase

as an permanen Ohio resident with FL CCW I can purchase handgun in Florida since I have a residence here also. Question is…can I legal transport that handgun purchased here back to Ohio

1 Like

Hmm. It’s real odd to have 2 different states residency… but once you fit requirements to purchase a firearm in Florida you can legally do it.
You shouldn’t have any problem with transporting it in a car:

• firearms may be transported legally if they are unloaded, cased, and locked in the automobile trunk or otherwise inaccessible to the driver or any passenger.

Different story, if you are going to fly… that is something I’m avoiding all the time :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

You don’t require residency to obtain a FL CCW. A non-resident can get one, so long as the individual can provide proof of a local address. My friend from WI has a second home here in FL and is planning to get his FL CCW.

1 Like

I know…I have FL CCW as I stated…was not the question

1 Like

don’t have 2 permanent residences. I own condo in FL and can purchase firearm. My full time legal residence is in Oho…I am trying to figure out if that firearm purchased in FL is legal for me to have in Ohio where my permanent residence is

1 Like

@James347 - understood. I was replying to @Jerzy.

1 Like

I will be legal once Florida’s gun store sell it to you. They are responsible for your purchase, so once they find out you are eligible and sell it to you - it’s legal.

2 Likes

If you can legally purchase the firearm, transporting it to a different resident is not an issue as long as you follow all of the applicable laws regarding interstate transport and the state in which you reside (Ohio).

3 Likes

WOW…thank you…great info…exactly what I needed to know

2 Likes

Attorney always gives the best info :ok_hand:

1 Like

Different issue perhaps, but dealing with purchasing in different states.

If we must pass a background check, and have a valid ID, and the background check is a federal system…

Why can we not purchase a firearm, a handgun, in another state?

1 Like

Yes, we can. But how you get the firearm depends on your State of residency.

I live in IL and one day I was on business trip to Austin. Local gun shop offered me good deal for a handgun.
It took 5 minutes for background check then I needed to tell them my local FFL address (for handgun delivery) - that was it. Easy Peasy.
I eventually turned it down. I didn’t know the Law that time and was afraid if that purchase was legal.

1 Like

Perhaps I was less than clear.

You may be able to purchase, and have it sent to someone with a FFL, just as you can purchase on the internet… but it MUST be sent to a FFL holder for the background check.

If you did a background check in Austin, why would you need to tell them your local FFL address?

If it is a federal system, and all states use it, if you pass in Illinois or Georgia, you pass in every state.

So, why can you not go to a neighboring state if they are having a sale or a gun show, and purchase with a background check and carry it home in the trunk of your car… or if you have a permit and the state has reciprocal agreements, in your holster?

1 Like

That is the part that I do not understand either. If it a national system and complies with state law of the selling state, why does it need to be shipped to your state of residence.

They wouldn’t allow me to take the firearm with me. I was told that even the purchase was in Texas, I was under IL Firearm Law, which required 72 hours period between the purchase and having the firearm.

And actually I confirmed that few days later in my home Town.

1 Like

I’m not good with all these complexities of Law… and because of that I’m not making purchases on Gun Shows out of IL. Less stress for me :laughing:

1 Like