Can i purchase a shotgun outside my home state and travel home with it?

I attended a gun show in another state. I wanted to purchase a shotgun on display. If i do can i legally buy and travel with it or do i need to have it curried to a dealer back home?

5 Likes

Hello and welcome @Justin151
Buying at a show the same rules apply as walking into a store. 4473, background check, and then it would have to be shipped back to your state to an FFL as well as checking with your local FFL to make sure it is legal in your state.
Unless things have changed.
Which state did you see the shotgun and which state do you live in?

3 Likes

Welcome

2 Likes

The answer is depends on state and dealer. From a Federal perspective? Yes. But state laws vary tremendously and some dealers will only sell to in-state residents or might extend to bordering states only.

Ask the seller first so you don’t waste both your times.

9 Likes

More detail: Under Federal regulations, while a gun store may sell handguns only to residents of the state they are in, ATF Federal regulations allow sale of long guns (rifles and shotguns) to residents of other states. However, as @Enzo_T pointed out, a given dealer may have a store policy not to do so, and there may be state laws restricting the sale.

Reference is
27 C.F.R. § 478.99 Certain prohibited sales or deliveries.:

(a) Interstate sales or deliveries. A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector shall not sell or deliver any firearm to any person not licensed under this part and who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business or activity is located: Provided, That the foregoing provisions of this paragraph (1) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of a rifle or shotgun (curio or relic, in the case of a licensed collector) to a resident of a State other than the State in which the licensee’s place of business or collection premises is located if the requirements of § 478.96(c) are fully met, and (2) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes (see § 478.97).

7 Likes

Earlier this year. I brought a rifle in Florida. I am not a resident of Florida. I was able to make the purchase and take possession after the three-day wait. Going into the transaction. I knew because I am a nonresident Florida conceal carry permit holder. I could pickup the rifle. So that shows the specific laws from state to state vary.

5 Likes

‘Don’t ASK
Don’t Tell’
nuff said…

If stopped say ‘How’d that get under that blanket?’

Welcome Brother Justine to the fold.

2 Likes

Welcome Justin151.

Good for you, you are doing your homework first.

I’ve not yet purchased from out of state, where I was physically there, and traveled back with it. I have only ordered and purchased from out of state and had it delivered to my local/favorite FFL shop/dealer. The shipping and fees cost by my receiving FFL shop was not all that different or more than the cost of gas/travel.

But it sure was convenient.

To your situation, perhaps also read up on some of the laws of the states you’d be in, such as your own, the state where you are buying in, and as far as traveling, the rules on traveling with said firearm.

I too have found more flexibility of the laws on long guns as compared to handguns being more restrictive.

Keeping the ammo completely separate or none at all. Having a trigger lock on it.

Double checking with the seller, as they pointed out here, so as to save you time and trouble.

I might not like all the laws, but I encourage us to become familiar with them, for obvious reasons.

Some states are peculiar and even have rules outlawing certain types of firearms, so be sure to check if the model you choose is allowed in your city, county, and state.

I noticed that many states are adding new laws, usually beginning on the first of January each year. I heard some proposals on federal laws.

Not to add any pressure here, but your purchase might be timely, before the laws become too strict.

I heard that we will still be able to purchase, FFL to FFL dealer, even if out of state. But that private sales, and gun show sales will be more scrutinized in the near future.

It’s a great feeling knowing when one is within code, and can enjoy the hobby, sport, learning, and security.

Best to you.

3 Likes

Thank you for the welcome and insightful comments.

Did not expect that. Greatly appreciate it!

Be well, be safe.

7 Likes

@Justin151 Welcome to the community!

1 Like

Justin151,
Welcome to the community!
You’ll find great, insightful feed back to your questions. Remember, there are no truly dumb questions except unasked questions!
Chris278

3 Likes