Bulletproof Vest Saves Clerk's Life During Shootout |

Seattle area! :crazy_face: :grimacing:

Thatā€™s crazy.

Still wondering how we know what that man makes per hour, though, and that he had other ā€œbetterā€ (in our opinion, of his life) employment options

1 Like

McDonalds is hiring for $18.00 an hour and line cooks in Seattle are getting offered $21,00 an hour.
Of course, rent is $2K a month.

2 Likes

Banning the use of bullet resistant vests by law abiding citizens makes as much sense as taking guns away from us because criminals use them in committing crimes.

5 Likes

But itā€™s necessary for the IRS to have them along with night vision.:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

From several relatives in LE: often an individual who applies for an armed security job is either waiting to join the police academy, or has been rejected (usually for physical reasons) but still has the desire to ā€œserve and protect.ā€ Very rarely are those individuals so desperate that they choose that job because itā€™s the only one they can find. The pay is not enough to overcome the possibility of one getting shot on duty.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s one problem with open carry. They all knew he was armed. If heā€™d have complied completely, they would have disarmed him then possibly shot him anyway.

3 Likes

I have seen incidents where the intended victim, in the video, was clearly carrying, but the perp did not notice. Just because you noticed, does not mean everyone will.

Even if the perp did know he was carrying, the perp still decided to rob the store. Likely they were going to shoot him, regardless, as there did not appear to be any real hesitation once the first perp drew and decided to shoot. Whether that was due to seeing the firearm, who knows. Many clerks get shot first without ever having the chance to comply.

In my limited experience, other firsthand accounts I have heard, and crime videos I have seen, perps knowing that you are armed will make them change their minds about doing something stupid. That does not mean some arenā€™t still going to try.

6 Likes

And some people just want to wear a uniform, carry a gun and boss people around, all of which are dumb things. Hopefully, they do not live to add their genes to humanityā€™s gene pool.

Who are we talking about, here?

I did go to high school with one kid who fit this description to a T and went on to be an LEO. Have also run into a couple LEOs and Security folks who also seemed to fall into this group. But also know several people who went into those lines of work because they really did want to protect and serve.

3 Likes

Yeah, he drew with a gun in his face, but there were 3 other guns coming up at him at the time, so he had nothing to lose. Once the bullets were aiming at the perpsā€™ direction, they shat and ran. Glad the clerkā€™s alive, but itā€™s too bad there werenā€™t 3 more Darwin Awardees that night. Those guys looked pretty comfortable doing the robbery, so it was likely their dozenth time. Recidivism sucks.

5 Likes

Iā€™m definitely not saying he shouldnā€™t have drawn. That was a judgement call only he could make based on a gut decision of whether or not they would have just taken the money and run.

Though I would hope to remember my training and add in some lateral movement during the draw if I chose to go that route.

1 Like