Bragging about carry

I have a good friend really nice guy and good intentions why he carries BUT he brags about carrying no matter where’s he’s at or who he’s talking to … I personally think this is a very dangerous thing… what do you all think ??

9 Likes

Is your friend a new concealed carry permit holder? I can recall when I received my first CHL in Texas about 20 years ago, and the novelty and excitement of being permitted to conceal carry a pistol had me blabbing to friends and acquaintances for a few months. After the novelty wore off and I wised up, I realized that carrying a concealed firearm is “Need to Know” information only.

Your friend may also be seeking some kind of social respect or validation for carrying concealed, or he may be attempting to shock or frighten people.

You should have a sincere talk with him and try to discourage his behavior.

13 Likes

Sounds like a very bad idea. I’ve legally carried in three states for more than 25 years now. The ONLY people who know I carry daily are my wife, my son, a buddy who owns a local gun shop and my priest. Nobody else has a “need to know”. Bragging/ talking about it draw attention to yourself, and it may very well be adverse attention. Why ask for problems. Reminds me of the dudes on certain bikes who immediately install straight pipes and dress up like pirates so they’ll be noticed. Problem is, in this case it concerns a deadly weapon. I don’t know about others, but if I need mine it will definitely be a surprise when it shows up, not something the bad guy is looking for/ready for because I’ve been bragging about it.

7 Likes

@Timothy3 This what you are describing is very dangerous behavior. I can see many many ways that could go sideways. First if he is a braggadocio then he’s not really concealing anything. Some people could take it to the next level of mentally brandishing, and would call the law on him imposing Extreme Risk Protection Laws aka Red Flag Laws into play citing that he’s a danger to himself and others. I think your friend is very foolish doing what he’s doing and saying what he’s saying.

9 Likes

Sounds more like OC than CC to me… or maybe OLC - “Out-Loud Carry”.

Going with this… “dude, your mouth is printing…”

My hubby will discuss carry with anyone, but he’s almost always OC… the OC does open conversations on a frequent enough basis that it’s useful - I may have a new client shortly because a fellow approached my hubby about his OC, and a conversation ensued, including my being an instructor.

That said, if you conceal because you want the element of surprise, discussing it may not be the most successful way to maintain that strategy. :woman_facepalming:

9 Likes

That you recognize he may have a problem, indicates there is a problem. Is it possible he regards the opportunity to carry a weapon a passage into his adulthood? Like a car, a weapon is also a significant investment. For a nefarious type, his pride and pleasure would be a challenge in line with their life goals. And, if they are practiced, seriously easy money. That type might consider your friend a walking ATM and not a person at all. It’s a big world; a nice thing is monsters aren’t as regularly in our direct environment as all that… on the other hand, sharks have been feeding regularly off the east coast this year… just saying…

Hopefully, he’ll take a friendly hint, maybe you know a LEO who understands and could relate a tale? Otherwise, he might have a very serious lesson in life coming.

3 Likes

one more thought on this… maybe ask him if he were walking around with a roll of hundred dollar bills in his pocket, would he be telling everyone he sees about it? No, because someone, sooner or later, will try to take it off him. Aside from being a defensive weapon, that firearm represents hundreds of dollars of value, and in general bad guys would rather steal one than buy one.

He’s definitely inviting someone to try and take it off him.

Maybe the roll of hundred dollar bills image will help him get some brakes for his mouth.

9 Likes

I’m of the mindset to not to talk about my CCW. No one needs to know and I don’t see the benefit of announcing to the public. If it comes up in a discussion with friends/family, I answer yes and tell them the reasons why I carry. If it helps the cause or helps someone feel more comfortable with the idea, I’ll certainly discuss.

8 Likes

That’s why I am a firm believer in CONCEALED carry. Hey bad guy SUPRISE…Tim

7 Likes

Be a good friend and tell him to shut the hell up.

Sooner or later it’s going to get him into big trouble and very likely someone is going to try to take it away from him.

15 Likes

There are many great comments here. The idea of carrying “concealed” means to me that nobody knows that you are carrying. The only ones who need to know you are carrying are the ones who you are carrying for (to protect). Does that make sense? I don’t even like discussing that I have my CCL with people who don’t need to know. I don’t think in this day and age (political environment) that you can trust anyone who you don’t know really well. Even discussing gun ownership nowadays might come back to bite you (red flag BS!!)
Be responsible… stay alert… stay safe!

12 Likes

I’m with @WildRose on this one. Take your friend aside and as forcefully as possible, in a friendly way, tell him to SHUT UP! It not a question of IF it will end badly, it’s just a matter of how bad it will be.

I have to fall back on my fundamental position: Concealed Carry means CONCEALED. Your weapon should not be easily detectable by sight, sound, smell, or, most especially, verbally.

If I were to find myself in a public place with a guy like that, the first thing I’m going to do is tag him so I can keep an eye on him, then be sure to keep some distance between us. It’s only a matter of time until the trouble starts and I don’t want to be too close when that clock ticks down to zero.

Regards.

12 Likes

There is no shortage of people that just feel better about themselves when they have something to brag about. Sad but true. What I think they are really spin to themselves is I am special. Maybe gently alerting them that they are telling potential thugs where a firearm is when they are in public. My good friends know that I often do but never know if today is one of those days. They do not need to know.

Randy, Reno NV.

8 Likes

I hope he’s a USCCA member and reads some of the conversations posted here. I’ve carried for 40 years now and I still learn from what others have to say.

10 Likes

“Concealed” loses its meaning if you tell everyone you’re packing, lol!

7 Likes

It’s called “concealed carry” for a reason. I carry EVERYWHERE, but I do not tell ANYONE but my wife that I have a firearm in my belt holster. I do NOT want to use it, but I want even less to NEED it and not HAVE it. No gun-grabber in the US wants to have less to do with a firearm than I do, but they, the gun-grabbers, are irrational and I am not, so I carry every day and everywhere…just in case.

6 Likes

I would rather keep the element of suprise.

4 Likes

That’s why I’m here

3 Likes

You walk into a gas station to grab a pop your getting ready to pay a bad guy walks in behind you to rob the place… sees your weapon gives you a round in the head takes your weapon and robs the place anyway…

3 Likes

I carry daily. Concealed. Open carry is legal here but whenever and wherever I see it is scares passers by. Then they are inspired to join the irrational 2A haters and they demonstrate and they vote. Open carry is a bad idea. You can’t educate a fool and even if it were possible the irrational nut jobs will always outnumber the few we might hope to educate.

4 Likes