Bobcat Self Defense

Nope, this isn’t about a Beretta 21A… If you haven’t read about this and seen the video, it’s worth a watch. (N.B. The web page itself, however, is a mess.) Definitely a display of a kind self defense we don’t discuss quite as much here.

6 Likes

Excellent story, I am glad these folks are OK (because I had seen a bobcat mad), and sorry they had to get the rabies shots, they hurt.

5 Likes

I bet pepper spray is a good option for a bobcat. I carry pepper spray when walking the neighborhood for stray dogs. It’s harder to miss with pepper spray, no risk of collateral damage and it’s less paperwork :joy:.

I would research it more, but it has been known to be effective on stray dogs.

I’ve seen multiple sad stories of people being mounted by dogs and attacked. Then someone tries to save them with a gun, but accidentally shoots the person, not the dog.

4 Likes

I wonder if it would be effective on an animal suffering from rabies, though? It’s like that perpetual conversation about how many shots it takes to stop an attacker amped up on PCP.

4 Likes

I thought they always landed on their feet? Musta been the rabies…

1 Like

It is a very shy animal normally, and would not pursue a human, unlike e.g. coyote. It also likes to ambush its prey, you wouldnt have a chance to prepare for an attack if it wanted to.

6 Likes

They’re common where I’m from. They’re also very brave in that they’ll get close. Fortunately I haven’t heard of any attacks, so I believe you. I definitely wouldn’t spray an animal that’s just walking by. But if it was being aggressive it might help, but I wouldn’t take my advice :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

The linked story wasn’t loading for me but I was just having dinner at a friends house tonight and we were watching a mother bobcat trying to teach her two kittens to hunt quail in an adjacent open area.

Wild animal attacks are incredibly rare, especially by bobcats. But sick or starving animals can be unpredictable and any animal acting strangely should be avoided. Many of the rare attacks that do occur happen because the people involved are doing something stupid.

4 Likes

My mom raised 4 bobcats when they were born, when I moved our here I had the opportunity to learn hands on how they are.
They love to play with rocks, like a dog with a ball. They have mood swings, lots of them!

3 Likes

We re hunting a fox.

I tried upload a video but this site doesn’t recognize the format. The fox rolled around in the spot you see. Smells awfull - skunk and death.

3 Likes

IMHO a bobcat is very quick. To shoot it while its on the move would be extremely difficult especially with a handgun. You have a better chance with a baseball bat or some sort of stick. Pepper spray may not work, you have to get close enough to deploy it and risk getting bit.

7 Likes

IDK–they look hard to stop, not hard to hit.

7 Likes

former coworker had a bobcat attack his turkey decoy while he was napping on it under a tree. I think yelling “what da fook!” while thrashing about worked pretty well, but last thing the critter said “maybe you shouldn’t take CATnaps!”
Had one pop out in front of my mountain bike 2 weeks back. Seems we were both surprised. Unlike the bear I spook, this guy didn’t hesitate vamoosing.

5 Likes

Good one @Aaron25 :+1::+1:

2 Likes

I just found out that it’s bobcats in Tennessee

1 Like

What did the fox, um, bear say?

1 Like

Most say “whatever”, but the last, well, I suddenly realized something behind the tree was looking back at me. Black bear, I estimate he went 350. Stopped my bike 15’ away, think I said “holy cow” and I swear looking at this guy, he was thinking “oh crap” as he stood there. Stare down for a couple minutes, then he thought about climbing the tree, and I mimicked a locally semi famous vid (girl telling a bear not to be scared as it kept circling behind her, and nipped her pants). I asked this guy if I could take his picture, and while digging for my camera, he said “nope” and headed into the woods. I tracked him, caught up a hundred yards down the trail, and now, on all fours and aware of me, he just said “whatever.”

2 Likes

Brother be careful playing with them bears. :joy:

1 Like

Had my trusty Glock 43 with me. Figured Bruno would get a chuckle out of that :rofl:
Didn’t need it, so I’ll never know.
Funny, carry a .45, never see a bear. Carry the baby Glock (my mountain biking carry) and sure enough, there they are.

1 Like