Bill drill competition 2024

The Bill Drill is a simple and important drill to practice.
Six rounds from the draw into the A zone at 7 yards.
This replicates a defensive reaction to stop a threat.
Using a timer show your timed shots and show your target.

Good luck!

10 Likes

I am training at home right now with a SIRT. I can print this out on a piece of regular sized paper (8 1/2" x 11"). Should I put this at seven yards for that size or do I need to adjust the distance? Thanks.

5 Likes

It would be pretty impressive If you print that out to 8.5” by 11” and could keep all your shots in the A zone at 7 yards while shooting as rapidly as you can with live fire. Though with a SIRT you don’t have to deal with recoil so it probably can be done fairly quickly.

4 Likes

@John1505 , simple math can help you:

If your original IPSC target is 30" tall and you shoot it from 7 yard, you can use 8" tall copy of that target and shoot it from 2.5 yards to simulate the same distance.

However @Shamrock is right, using SIRT you get advantage of no recoil so your time will be about 20% - 25% shorter pressing laser trigger, not a real one.
I would go with proposed challenge and shoot 8" target’s copy at 7 yards.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Soooo,…

Where do I get those targets to take to my local range?

I certainly don’t have a 30’ printer!!!

1 Like

or if you have any full size target you can simply use the back of it and draw A-ZONE using this chart:

2 Likes

Most ranges should have a target with an A zone like that.

The USCCA Universal Shooting Target has, among many other things, an A zone box you could use for this.

$10 for 10 targets and of course free shipping as a USCCA member. You’ll be hard pressed to beat this price.

4 Likes

I usually order them by the case off of amazon

https://a.co/d/4rQ4Mit

2 Likes

My local stopped carrying the full size ones, only have the 75% ones now.

I followed Matt’s idea and ordered some off Amazon.

Looks to me like the USCCA store ones are half the price…just sayin’

$1 each USCCA and $2 each on the above link

@Shamrock @Jerzees
Thanks, good advice. I am not so concerned with time right now as grip, accuracy, trigger control, and sight alignment, etc… Even with no recoil the SIRT helps, in particular, when ill or on the road and unable to attend a range. I have not been to the range for a while because of several situations.

2 Likes

Yeah, not sure why but that listing has changed. I just ordered a 100 pack for $65 not that long ago. I dont even see them offered in the full 100 pack atm. I have a bunch of the uscca ones as well but try to save them more for doing drills and insteucting other people.

1 Like

Completely agree. I use my SIRT pistol a lot for dry fire practice as well as get to my gun and retention drills with my martial arts coach.

2 Likes

Agreed. No speed needed for SIRT drills. Non failure consistency is the base for being a good shooter.
That’s why we practice fundamentals over and over again.
I was just referring to @Todd30 competition… :wink:

4 Likes

2.1 seconds with one miss

3 Likes

second try at 7 yards
one more miss
2.4 seconds

3 Likes

5 seconds

What did I see? Speed = misses
What did I learn? Need to practice and train more, Allergies are not helping, my eyes are really bothering me.

2 Likes

I like Bill Drills, it’s a good way to work on controlling the gun. My fastest run ever is 1.57 seconds from a OWB holster. I’m not sure what my time would be with my carry rig, I’d guess about 1.9 seconds. Most of the time lost would be the draw, plus I tend to split a touch slower with the EDC vs range guns.

Speed in itself doesn’t equal misses. When you’re speeding up something is breaking down. Slowing down isn’t the fix. Looks like you’re over returning the gun. Can you see it, or feel it when it happens? Pay close attention to what your hands are doing.