Best 9mm to carry

Welcome to the Forum! I need to try this CZ P-01 everyone talks about. I am not the most well versed in all the brands but I can pick up any and hit a target just fine. As you stated above, I agree with the 1911 vs Glock statements about alignment and muzzle rise.
My first carry gun was a Glock 19 and not because I was a Glock fan, I actually had no preference on hand guns at that point. After my time in the Marines I had zero experience with handguns but under the Glock blue label program, you could get them for about $100 off at a store. Now at my local police warehouse, they sale Glocks (duty weapon in my area) to military/law enforcement/armed security ect. I was able to get my Glock 19 Gen 4 back in 2015 with 3 mags and the Truglo sights for $350… That was my deciding factor to go with Glock lol.
Since then I have shot a handful of brands and as far as grip goes (so far) I love H&K. Then overall feel, I really enjoy the FN 501 combat. These are way more expensive and although I like them more, I can shoot my glock 19 better than most and over all, it doesn’t matter all to much to me.
That being said, I did recently purchase the MR920(War Poet Pistol, look up youtube reviews on the MR918 and 920). It is on back order and I hope that will become my new favorite gun. I know, you shouldn’t buy a gun you have not shot but… I trust the opinion of a few people I know, out of state, and well I really wanted it. We shall see how I like it once it comes in.

3 Likes

Well, if we are going to talk about ‘best’…

First, Welcome…

@Jerzees , yes it might be an interesting thread.

We can start with good ones in general if not always the smallest for concealed carry. Though I will mention some highly concealable firearms in the .32 or .380 caliber.

Bersa Thunder .380
Walther PPKs .380

Browning Hi-Power or it’s new replacement clone the Tisas Regent BR9
Beretta 92
and any number of others…

for more readily concealable

Taurus PT111
Kimber Micro 9
S&W M&P
S&W M&P Shield

But you can also look to a Makarov in either a 9x18 or a .380 or a TT-33 if you want to move away from the 9mm, and not use the .380… these are older and may be obtained perhaps at a lower price.

You can also look to a good .45 ACP…

But it is all open to debate.

If you want a small concealable 9mm, the Taurus is good, the PT111 or the new G3 has 12 rds in the magazine and are small enough and light enough to conceal and carry all day… the Kimber Micro 9 is small and light, but more expensive, and the S&W is between the two.

They are all good, all reliable, and it depends on what feels good in your hand, what you feel comfortable with, and will shoot at the range and practice with.

That is my .22 cents :slight_smile: inflation… and a good .22 is also an option.

5 Likes

Check out the Kimber Ultra carry .45, it is small and concealable. I went from my Sig 365 XL to the Kimber. You should check it out!

4 Likes

I carry a Glock 43 with a Pierce plus one extension. It’s a perfect fit for my medium paws and gives me 8 rounds. For me, the 43X grip is a bit too long for the extra three rounds. It makes more sense to me to carry my Gen5 19 for added ammo in certain situations.

4 Likes

Welcome @EUGENE15! Nice choice

4 Likes

@EUGENE15.
Welcome To The Community
Train Hard and Stay Safe.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family and god bless you.

2 Likes

I carry a Springfiel XDs 9mm and I love it.
Its small and easy to conceal. I have a IWB holster and it doesnt print. It has a 8 rounds in the mag.
Also whats nice about it is it has a dual trigger safety system in order to fire it.
There is a trigger on the back of the grip, as well as the trigger on the trigger. Both must be pushed in order to fire. This also lets you learn to get a good grip on your pistol.

I really love that dual security system, cuz imo it seems like it will prevent a discharge if something would snag the trigger. Even though that doesnt happen often or atleast rarely to my knowledge. But it was recommended to me by the gun shop when I was asking about conceal carrying.

6 Likes

If you have a smart phone you can use the where to shoot app to find a range.

4 Likes

I have two CZs My CCW is a CZ 9mm 2075 BD love it. Plus a CZ 75B. CZ makes a great firearm.

3 Likes

Ask 20 people that question and you’re likely to get 20 different answers. For me it’s my Sig P229 Legion.

3 Likes

While everything already said here is true…there is one more aspect which is one you can find.

4 Likes

You say, the smaller guns are hard to shoot? Maybe a longer learning curve but certainly not hard for a seasoned shooter. And recoil for a experienced shooter is nothing on them. Weight matter in carrying every single day of your life and takes a toll. I shoot many Pocket guns and shoot them well. Have been for years. My Favorite is the Kahr CM 9 and the Beretta Nano. I carry the very light weight Kahr more. At 15.8 oz it is on of the lightest in class and a great shooter. The Nano is One very Well built 9mm. Shoots extremely mild. But weighs 4oz more.
I recently tested the Sig 365 against the Nano. 200 rounds of mixed ammo through each gun then 25 rounds of defense Plus 9 through each.
Hands down the Nano was top dog. At the end of the session my hand hurt with the 365, but the Nano was so mild I could have gone on all day.

Recoil Rating

Diamondback-DB9—9.28
Keltec PF-9------------9.79
Kimber Micro9--------8.02
Kahr CM9---------------7.7
*Ruger LC9S------------7.24
*Sig 365------------------6.99
Sig 938--------------------6.99
MP Shield-----------------6.8
Springfield Hellcat------6.78
Glock 43X------------------6.93
Beretta APX Carry/Nano–6.18

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @David609 and god bless you.

2 Likes

I’m curious as to what the values associated with a recoil rating mean? I’m admittedly novice on the math/science end of shooting, but I’ve not seen a value assigned like that. Thanks in advance if you can give explanation.

3 Likes

well clearly he is not a seasoned shooter and smaller guns still have more recoil than the larger of the same model… there is no argument there. a Glock 19 will shoot with less recoil than a glock 43… that is just basic. I never said that you couldn’t shoot the smaller gun and as an instructor, I know you can train with them and become proficient with every single gun regardless of size> .

Example is your IWI Masada which would be a full with 17+1. If you have only ever shot that gun then jumped to a Glock 43 or a Sig P365 ect… Your rapid fire shot placement would be all over the place. (many will argue this point but those who do, forget they are experienced shooters).

As you progress, you will be able to pick up pretty much any handgun and hit a target regardless if you have ever shot it before.

I never said it was “hard” to shoot but it is harder if you are new and are still learning. I have taken many people to the range and I have yet to see anyone shoot better with the micro model of any brand better than the compact size. The 1 time this was not the case was my buddy shooting his Hellcat and that is because it was the first gun he had ever bought and spent about 500 rounds training on it(was training wrong). He shot that better than my Glock 22 for about 3 mags… once I taught him from the ground up ( 15 minutes of lessons) he shot much better with the full size glock and my full size Canik Tp9 when shooting in rapid succession at a further distance.

I don’t see what point you are trying to prove saying seasoned shooters don’t have problems shooting smaller guns… A Sherlock level argument, If I ever did see one. Also providing the 1 gun that is a micro and smooth and comparing it to a micro of another brand has nothing to do with the fact that a micro in a specific model/caliber will have more recoil than the same model in a full or compact. Literally every gun book/ trainer will tell you that to be true. Yes could I get a super smooth gun like the Nano and claim it applies to every micro? no… that would make no sense.
There will always be exceptions to any rule based off of parts/weight/ new technological modifications/ advancement in gun making/ ect. put into the firearm.
site your source for those ratings.

4 Likes

I run a Glock 43 with flush mags, plus 1s, plus 2s and a plus 3 extentions, taron tactical. It’s on my hip at three thirty at all times, on my bed stand within half an arms reach at night, next to my Glock 19, with a POF frame and a plus three mag extension.

I run the Glock 19 for home and truck.

Try to shoot monthly if not weekly.

Welcome brother!

6 Likes

Welcome to the family and God bless you brother @MW1

3 Likes

Steven147, Have you received you handgun Shadow systems MR920?
would you share your insights and shooting experience?

Thank you

2 Likes

@David609.
Welcome to the community.
COBRA01
Train Hard and Stay Safe

4 Likes