Back Pack CCW?

I’m not a big fan of off body carrying, but I see a backpack as an option in some situations. What’s y’all’s holster recommendations or set up recommendations?

I’m running a Rush 2.0 with a CCW spot with velcro. Honestly it’s tight enough for me to wedge my current gun in holster in as is and it’s tight and secure, but if I need the gun I’m going to have to pull the holster out first and then rip the holster off the gun.

Kydex with Velcro? Velcro holster with straps? Carry without one in the pipe?

Again, I prefer on holster on the hip, but a boom stick in a bag is better than not having a boom stick at all. Safety is of course the main concern. I am aware that off body carry means the bag is with me 100% of the time. I got little ones, I’m not going to be letting them dig around in it.

5 Likes

What situations?

Backpack as in…worn on your back?

How would you retrieve it when you are being attacked?

4 Likes

Accidentally hit post before I finished!

1 Like

Sling bag. You can pull on the bottom strap with your right hand and pull the bag across your chest and open the zipper to access the pistole, I marked the zipper pull with red tape to find it easier, Chamber loaded. :+1:

6 Likes

There are also fanny pack type solutions. I have a Galco one that has a pullstring that will swing the internal holster up while you pull the zipper with the other hand. It is pretty nifty for the times you don’t want to have a holster attached to you.

4 Likes

I carry a 357 magnum with either a chest holster or that thigh holster we used in the Marine Corps. Either one has easy access but is very secure. I tend to be out where Mountain Lions like to roam and bear. I hear about Bigfoot out and about, but I have not ever had any encounters with one yet! I would prefer not to have to deal with any of them but when you go out on their turf you never know what you will run into.

4 Likes

@Scoutbob I use a Crossbreed PacMat in a dedicated compartment of my 511 11L sling bag.

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/pac-mat-holster-only.html

The PacMat series also had mag carriers. All of which use hook and loop backing on hybrid kydex and leather.

USCCA offers a 10% discount for members to boot.

6 Likes

That looks perfect and reasonably priced. Thanks Paul!

2 Likes

For now the CCW pouch is going to be a place I can wedge my CCW when in the car for long periods of time. I’ll just clip it on when I’m about to go in places.

1 Like

The VertX bags for this are really cool. I ended up with a Rush 2.0 because I simply thought it was a really solid bag for price. It’s very rugged. I don’t think I’ll be using much for conceal carry. I’m planning to use it for my EDC backpack for work. (I cannot bring my CCW to work anyway).

For edc conceal carry the VertX bags look better.

4 Likes

I use something similar to this in my quick access safe so I can’t accidentally hit the trigger when grabbing for the pistol in the middle of the night. Attach the other and of the cord to something sturdy in the pack and it will pull off when you draw. You might have to modify the pack if it doesn’t have a good connection point where you need it.

You could also drill a hole on any kydex holster or just attach the cord around a screw or belt clamp to accomplish a similar effect. Just test it to make sure it will hold up as well as release the pistol without hanging up your draw.

4 Likes

Back pack would be the 3rd firearm I carry. Would have no problem with it :us:

4 Likes

@Scoutbob
Independence day sale; site wide through July 4th… More reasonable than you thought :wink:

4 Likes

x2 … actually one for each lock box that I have

4 Likes

I carry 24/7 in a velcro shoulder holster and at night is under the pillow never will carry in a back pack with the exception of extra mags,carrying in a back pack,when seconds counts you have already lost the confrontation,I always think about WHAT IF confrontations and think of how to counter the WHAT IF

5 Likes

Practice. You know, that thing we all do.

3 Likes

I tried carry in a small sling bag for a while. It worked well for me, and my usual IWB holster fit and attached to the loops inside the bag. Draw time compared to IWB was only a fraction of a second worse.

Depending on your concealment and physical activity needs, you may find this useful. Zipped backpack with level 1 holster retains like a level 2 holster. Pickpockets are a concern with off body carry, make sure the bag is on your chest where you are at risk from pickpockets.

2 Likes

When you practice drawing and engaging the threat/target from your backpack, what is your typical time from beep to rounds on target? With two hands, with one hand only?

1 Like

I pocket carry.
I can draw from a pocket faster than having to unzip or un-velcro a backpack, then draw.

5 Likes

I use a PacMat in my Berne CCW jacket. Works like a charm.

4 Likes