Ask an Attorney: Cost of self-defense in Criminal Court?

Do you have a “truckload” of money lying around in case your self-defense actions are ever called into question legally? I know I don’t have the kind of money Tom Grieve talks about in his latest blog post.

How do you manage the risk of possibly needing criminal defense?

Multiple Choice

• Learn as much as I can
  • Train as much as I can
  • Document what I learn and how I train
  • Have a legal protection plan (example: having a USCCA membership)
  • All of the above
  • Other:_____ Please put your Other below

0 voters

What adjustments do you need to make to your legal self-defense plan?

@Dawn

It’s crazy you brought this up…

I was just talking about this on Facebook yesterday while sharing this video.
Short answer, "Truckload of money" - Grieve, Tom 2019

I’m hoping most of us can stay prepared and if not already, will purchase USCCA or something simlar(Not that I would recommend anything else, but the USCCA).

1 Like

Who is sponsoring all the costs of the Case, when I follow this hint:

You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you.”
:thinking:

Jerzy.

The question you have to ask yourself is, “Do I want an attorney with the caseload piled sky-high on their desk?” or “Do I want one that generally will have the time and devotion to my case as well as the needs that come with it?

Your choice! I’ll go with question two and know he/she cares as well as has the time for me and my case.

@Randall318,
I understand that choice is obvious… however only if you “can afford” the attorney.
There are thousands of people who live form check to check and would like also protect themselves and their Families.
Definitely having insurance is a must, but what about people, who don’t carry any weapon everyday (so they don’t have such insurance) and found themselves charged for a murder during home invasion self-defense action (let say using kitchen knife)…
So such person cannot afford dedicated attorney and has to work with provided one. Basically no choice…

1 Like

I do understand…

If it were not for being a USCCA member as well as having a few friend attorneys, I would be up the creek without a paddle.

In addition, even my friends will not do anything for free! I don’t blame them neither. My only other option is after the completion of law school would be defend myself. but wise people have counselors. So, even then I would still want outside counsel…no matter how good I might be or “think” to be.