Armed Chicago man follows, attacks woman on video before stealing her car:

There is a case here for Women’s Handgun and Self-Defense Fundamentals. This may have been avoided if only a little vigilance and preparedness had been applied. Not faulting the victim, only advocating for their holistic training as it pertains. She is fortunate to be alive. I hope the aggressor is caught and receive his just recompense.

5 Likes

I couldn’t tell for sure, did he have a gun or a knife?

2 Likes

@Mike164 it appears to be a knife.

2 Likes

It kinda look like it may have been a baton. I’m couldn’t make it out, either.

But if you look at it again, it looks like she ends up with it! lol

3 Likes

A major thoroughfare near where my daughter lives is notorious for attacks on unsuspecting women.
She once had to call her boyfriend when she noticed a shady looking guy in the parking lot as she was leaving a store. I’m starting to believe I trained her well.
Better be safe than sorry.

6 Likes

It looks as though she otherwise was entering into a secure building but had taken for granted that she wasn’t being followed or stalked. Note how she flings the door open but does not ensure its closure behind her. For the strangest of reasons, we are so prone to condition white. We deny the possibility that any bad can happen to us. Condition White paints us as easy victims, because we’re just not paying attention. Assuming bad stuff happen to other people but not them. Until…

5 Likes

Good on you, sir. You think she may want to practice with you sometimes; you’ll get to break off some more wisdom that she can tuck away, and later practice on her own.

5 Likes

True.
One recent change I made to strengthen my routine was, when opening the door for my wife or daughter, I put one foot in first to scan the place. Then, I hold the door for them to enter when safe to do so, “ladies first.”

4 Likes

@BeanCounter, if you wouldn’t mind, walk me through what you just described and how it benefits the ladies, thanks so much in advance.

2 Likes

Hi @David237
Chivalry isn’t dead. I open the door to ladies and old folks.
However, I saw somewhere recently how it’s old school good but may not necessarily be completely safe.

For example, by letting my wife in first, she would be the first to see the layout of the place and who’s inside.
If there’s trouble already afoot, I might be a couple seconds too late to react.

So, what I’m doing now is open the door, one foot in, then take a peek at what’s going on inside.
I think it’s close to what pros call “clearing a room.”

4 Likes

Got it! That’s what I thought you were conveying. Makes sense. But in so doing, what would have been your solution if something had gone awry, or what would be your contingency should such a thing occur? For example, would you push the wife or ladies back, and close the door locking them out, or what? What do you see as a solution, other than or in conjunction with presentation?

4 Likes

Hmmm… now, you’re picking my tiny brain :brain:
Only one foot in gives me a tiny window to get out.

2 Likes

I do the same type of thing with my wife. I’ll open the door and “clear” while opening. If there is clear danger in the establishment, I give her a low stop signal. She knows to back up and to call law enforcement if I enter. Depending on what I observe, I make the decision to enter, or retreat.

3 Likes

This is exactly why I tell people to not feel bad for pulling that door closed behind them if it requires a keycard. If the next person is a tenant, they should have one too. I have to visit apartment buildings a lot, and people will offer to let me in if I am standing out front.

1: I explain some of the dangers of letting strangers into your secured building. :disguised_face:
2: That lets me know where I can solicit my training experience and reach out to the building management to see if I can host a class there on situational awareness and self-defense. :wink:

6 Likes

It’s too cold out to hold the door open😀

2 Likes

LOL! Well, I’m a big guy, so, excuse me. I stick size 13 through the door you may get an eighth of the body. For me it would take more than my foot entering the door in order to clear the room and/or the house. I guess home configurations would be a factor as well. Though it wouldn’t take much for me to know something just isn’t right. And my wife knows if I close the door it means for her to do something else.

3 Likes

Oh wow, now that’s minimum, lol.

2 Likes

How Chicago exists as the blight on the planet as it is really beyond me.

yeah 6’ 4" 275 14 shoes I am not slightly looking anywhere but when you feel up door frame and all my scars rooms usually go silent any way when I walk in hate to go to bars or restaurants people just set there and stair I even had one lady tell me I shouldn’t go in public looking way I do

1 Like