Are You Old Enough to Know Why This is Funny?

8 Likes

:man_shrugging: :woman_shrugging: Got me?!?

4 Likes

I believe he is referring to the earliest models. Robert Marinara wouldnā€™t allow some necessary featuresā€¦
Chrome bore being a big one. This caused it to become a jam-o-matic

8 Likes

Iā€™m not old enough to remember how AR15 was born and became a jam-o-maticā€¦

However this might be interesting for you:

A 2023-02-04 20-40-04

The man shows his never-jamming-rifle design to his colleagues. He doesnā€™t know yet how dangerous his product will be :wink:

4 Likes

IIRC the real problem was the powder usedā€¦

when they were testing them they used high quality powder that burned cleanā€¦

McNamara bought lots of crappy ammo that burned very dirty as a cost saving ideaā€¦

and then the jams startedā€¦ and many diedā€¦

got so ya had to carry around a cleaning rod to clear em just in caseā€¦

and then the army books on keeping you AR clean came outā€¦

later the forward assist was addedā€¦

9 Likes

If I remember correctly the early ammo also over gassed the action.

2 Likes

Yes.

Using powder they already had to use it up vs using the correct supplies for the job

4 Likes

Is that Kalishnakof?

1 Like

Yes, Kalashnikov

ŠœŠøхŠ°ŠøŠ» Š¢ŠøŠ¼Š¾Ń„ŠµŠµŠ²Šøч ŠšŠ°Š»Š°ŃˆŠ½ŠøŠŗŠ¾Š²

3 Likes

The following link is an interesting article on the M16.

4 Likes

In 64 when the ar was being issued the troops were told that they didnā€™t need cleaning and there were a lot of dead troops that died because their ar jammed,we refused them and kept the good ol M-14,it was a very good weapon and was able to reach out ant touch a person with love!

10 Likes

I donā€™t see a forward assist.

2 Likes

Sounds like the Viet Nam experience of someone in Marine Recon . . . ?

2 Likes

The forward assist never really should have been a thing, its actual correct use is rare circumstance

3 Likes

I carry a paint can opener to clear a stuck shell. My gas piston AR has never had a stuck shell even with steel case. Runs a lot cleaner. Stoner abandoned the DI in favor of a gas piston in later designs. Brownellā€™s picked up the AR180 design and is building them. No buffer tube required.

5 Likes

For me, old habits die hard, especially those ingrained by drill instructors into a post Viet Nam Army infantryman. I canā€™t speak to later versions like the M16A2 or M4, but I believe the forward assist (FA) was continued into the M16A1 to help dispell some of the lingering fear and mistrust from the Viet Nam experience. Our instructors spent a lot of time telling us we could have confidence and trust in the weapon if we took proper care of it and always performed SPORTS to clear a jam.

You probably already know the forward assist (FA) is required for the ā€œTā€ step when performing SPORTS (slap, pull, observe, release, tap shoot) to clear a jam in an M16A1. Nowadays having an FA might be a kind of security blanket for us old timers who remember the very poor reputation of the early Armalite models. I personally am happy the FA is still there, not having one might make me a little less confident even with the newer, more modern AR models I now own.

5 Likes

McNamara was truly a evil person. From all accounts of F105 pilots he is a reason a lot of their brother pilots never came home. A bunch of them would have beat the tar out of him if given a chance.

3 Likes

Yep, there was a powder issue also. When I was active in my earliest days, We still had the M14s in our arms room. I dont know how many times I ask my 1SG next time we go to qualify if I could shoot one while out. They sure had my interest. Would like to own one :us: Well semi auto version at any rate

2 Likes

of interest IIRC

the M14/M1A REQUIRES about 24? lbs of down pressure on the front of the barrel where it exits the stockā€¦

this is accomplished by bending that thin metal piece that sits in front on the stockā€¦

we were told to NOT dissemble our M14 during range qualsā€¦

reason it changes that downward pressure at the front of the stockā€¦

so if you purchase an M1A remember the downward pressure thingā€¦

makes it very accurate if properly done!!!

1 Like

The first time I saw McNamara was at a base in Japan a few weeks after Kennedy was killed. It was a rainy day and someone was holding an umbrella for him. The funniest part was this guy had such greasy hair, he didnā€™t need an umbrella, he would have shed water like a duck.

2 Likes