Are Smart Guns Dumb?

Ah, but that’s the catch

6 Likes

Why on earth would anybody ever not have a gun?:joy:

4 Likes

I would hazard a guess that a playbook might go something like

Step 1: Introduction with some media/social media emphasized placement claiming to be proofs of concept
Step 2: Provide benefits for purchase/ownership, like exempting ‘smart’ guns from certain restrictions or passing new restrictions that exempt smart guns (would not expect gaining anything, absolutely not 50 state reciprocity for one, many states would never have that)
Step 3: Do more of step 2, passing tighter regs on real guns but not smart guns
Step 4: Declare state of emergency and use __ to disable all smart guns within __ area.

Maybe. If it works properly, or if you get a psychological stop from the mere sight of it. If it doesn’t work, though, and the attacker(s) isn’t stopped by seeing it, wasting your time and putting your faith in the thing that doesn’t work is probably worse off

7 Likes

The benefits are that kids can’t accidentally fire it and strangers can’t diss arm a guy and use it against him. I’m sure if it were stolen it could be altered for the new owner eventually. I could definitely see why a dad or mom might want something like this for a night stand or something like that. In my opinion the best way to avoid kids accidentally shooting a gun is responsible ownership and early education and training. Teach them to respect guns and life. Teach them how fragile and precious every life is. Slide safety, electronic finger print safety, hand print safety. To me they’re all like steroids or Burger King. It works and it’s much faster but eventually, it’s gonna get you killed. Best to just put the work in and get long lasting safer results.

3 Likes

Dumb. One more thing to not work right when you need it. EMP’s, Hackers, wet hands, water and oh yeah, a battery that can die. A smart attitude, respect for the firearm, training and education all work together. Besides, there are possibly as many as 400,000,000 firearms in the US. They are not smart guns. There are a lot that will never be replaced with a smart gun.

5 Likes

Are Smart guns dumb? Yes, as soon as the batteries die- and that point will most likely come when you need it most. I’d prefer to have a “dumb” gun in the possession of a SMART, well trained individual. But that’s just me…

5 Likes

I might seriously think about them when law enforcement and the military are forced to rely solely on them.

Until then, yeah, I’ll stick the analogue version.

4 Likes

Great post! It may be the only one to truly bring wheel gun and semi-automatic gun owners together. lol

In all seriousness, I don’t think I would ever trust a gun that relies on any electronics to operate. I love my cell phone, but it’s not always 100% reliable to be there when I need it. Technology is great…when it works.

6 Likes

Precisely.

And I’m a huge fan of a ton of technology that lets us do things we could not do without it. Like, I couldn’t ask my wife what to get at the store on the way home from the range in 10 seconds wherever…etc…without tech.

But firearms work without electronics. Hell, I put ACOGs on my rifles to avoid electronics.

Now if only I could fashion an ACOG onto my EDC…

5 Likes

Having briefly owned a smart phone, there is no way in hell I’ll ever own a smart gun.

4 Likes

There are certain people who have mental or anger issues that are good reasons. Maybe they should make a smart car that can detect road rage and shut off for a period of time for that person to “Cool Off”.

4 Likes

That’s coming. The American Rescue Plan had a section on that. Camera’s inside the car and sensors to “detect” compromised driving.

3 Likes

Those would be like children I think. That kind of goes along the same line as responsible ownership. Don’t let children play with guns no matter how old they are. Maturity is not an age but a state of mind. Teach children early to respect guns and life. If they’re too young, mentally, it’s not time for them to be around guns and act accordingly.

2 Likes

Wow, SMART GUNS, NOW ABOUT SMART PEOPLE? For the most part most of us have guns. We know how to handle our guns, know the laws & are very responsible gun owners. The way i thinking , our smart phones don’t always work right do to software. Same with our laptops & pads.Also all the smart 4x4 's we drive. Things do break down. And i would hate to think I drew my weapon to defend my family & I had to fool around with a finger print, ot punch in a code or pass word to get it ready. And what happens if the finger pad goes read the print or pass word is not right. What if??? And we all know the more stops and go buttons we have on something the more likely something will quit working. Well i like keeping my weapon ready with out worrying about thinking about a smart gun to save my life.

4 Likes

IT person for years but smart technology is great but not on my weapon that i use & carry daily, to protect my family. Things go wrong with all this smart stuff all the time, I know, that’s why they need people like me to fix it. And I can see it, you have a smart gun, & someone broke into your home with guns. you go for your smart gun, and the fingerprint reader just quit. ( Now what) You don’t have time to call for repair. No thanks

4 Likes

Not a good thing at all

3 Likes

Dumb like a fox. Remember, your guns chip can be shut off just like on star if your car is stolen. It can tell anyone monitoring where you are. If those in charge choose, they can render your gun useless at the push of a button. If there are riots or whatever in a city, can they shut all smart guns down in the name of “public safety”? Something to think about.

5 Likes

In my opinion🤔, the only smart gun is a Glock😁

3 Likes

First, it’s just an electronic safety.

Second, I just can’t imagine how these things would ever be affordable, available and work 100% of the time under all conditions. And let’s be honest, that’s what’s required if you’re going to carry it or have it for home defense.
Anything less is useless at best.

The Anti’s will love the idea. If it saves just one life. Never mind the cost in lives due to failure. To them, that’s irrelevant. As is the Constitution.

These things must not see the light of day.

6 Likes

Can you imagine having to call tech support when your gun doesn’t work? “You are number 57 in line, would you like a call in an hour and a half?”

When you do get a hold of someone:

1. “Is your gun turned on?”
  2. “Do you have ammunition in your gun”
  3. “Is it the right type of Ammo”
  4. “Have you checked your batteries”
  5. “Oh, that is a known error, please take your gun to an authorized retailer or send it to…”
7 Likes