ENOUGH, Already!

This is a General Complaint Department subject - in spite of how you others think or feel, I’m SICK of the add-ons, doo-dads, gimmicks, and cutesy-fartsy features that pistolmakers insist as must-haves on their guns. This makes up a hefty list - grip safeties, decockers, loaded chamber indicators, action-locks, and magazine-disconnects - can the “wonder gun” be in our near future? - you know, the handgun that loads, aims, and fires itself by mere force of WILL??? A case in point is the Springfield Armory XD - the plain-jane, “Tactical”, 5" version. When I read of a second model, I was again disappointed - the grip-safety was STILL there, along with the asinine loaded chamber indicator cut into the top of the slide. I HAD hoped I could acquire a “matched” PAIR of these in .40 and .45, after 20 years - all three in 9mm , .40, and .45 use the same frame-size - but NOOO! I e-mailed Springfield, voiced my complaints, and told them to wise-up, or go get kicked in the head by a horse. Two other guns I’m stuck with are the Beretta “Storm” and the Magnum Research “Baby Eagle III” , with their slide-mounted decockers. Although I anticipate responses from “but-monkeys”, the ONLY external safety that belongs on ANY pistol is a FRAME-mounted, positive THUMB-SAFETY. Two cases in point here are the Jericho 941 and the S&W M & P 2.0 in .45 - the Jericho is basically the same as the “B.E.”, but it has this safety. S&W makes 3 models of this in their full-size version - two WITHOUT, and one WITH - and this is a striker-fired pistol! My last comment refers to the loaded chamber indicator on the XD - NOTHING should compromise the integrity and strength of a pistol’s slide! If you want an example of overkill in a pistol design, look at current STEYR models - if you include the action-lock, it has no less than 5 safeties! They ought to just sell shoes. You may think external safeties are unnecessary, but they beat suddenly missing your “naughty-bits”, or acquiring an additional hole somewhere else - my blood-pressure is now down from the roof - AMEN.

4 Likes

:rofl: No different than any other sport, hunting, fishing, bow hunting and cross bows are the worst. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I have no issue with a de-cocker on a DA/SA, as my Berettas have them and it makes hammer-down safer - the act of putting it into hammer-down, as I carry hot, but hammer-down. The rest of the non-sense, I fully agree.

5 Likes

When I’ve reconsidered the XD, it’s almost a case of baffled rage - it seems that gunmakers have the attitude that those of us in the shooting public know NOTHING, while they know EVERYTHING! I DO know that many makers have LOST several K’s of $$ from me as a result of these add-ons. Basic gun-handling skills should always override convenience - NEVER should you depend on ANY mechanical device for safety. Am I ever GLAD I was held back - due to expedience - from getting into the gun business!
Two other theories I’ve entertained over the last 40 years is that fishing lures are designed to catch more fishermen than fish - and if you insist on wearing a ballcap backwards, your I.Q. immediately drops by 50 points.

2 Likes

Definitely, firearm safety tells us that mechanical devices will fail. That is why I prefer firearms with the least number of safeties, etc., such as the venerable 1911 with the slide safety and grip safety as opposed to even a Glock with no external safeties, though I dislike striker-fired. I do love the trigger and recoil of the 1911, though.

2 Likes

I agree with you that a number of “improvements” gun manufacturers incorporate into newer models. Some of the things you mentioned I consider a good improvement such as the loaded chamber indicator for the simple reason if I hear someone trying to break in during the middle of the night it’s an easy way to determine if my gun is fire ready.

2 Likes

I never have to question that, if it isn’t in my safe and it is near me or on me, it is ready.

2 Likes

Mine is too but I try not to take anything for granted.

2 Likes

I verify that a round is chambered after I perform that function, after that it sits happily in its holster awaitng further commands. None of my firearms have ever done anything without my forcing them to do it, whether or not they would have willingly complied. :rofl:

3 Likes

I have long considered that my gun was not functioning correctly, someone was trying to kick my door in one night so I screamed at it shoot him! shoot him! But it just lay there.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Does your door bell sound like a shot timer? :grinning:

3 Likes

I want to get one that sounds like a Rottweiler!

3 Likes

My Gun Yelled @ me the other day after work!
He said: " It’s 102 degrees out and I’m stuck in the phucking ‘Belly band’
next to your fat ass man! I’m sweain’ my boolits off ! give a Gun a break
once in a while you dumbazz! sheeesh!

I was depressed the rest of the night…

3 Likes

Did you have to sleep on the sofa? :grinning:

2 Likes

Naw man, In my truck the other guns banded together in solidarity and locked me outta the house!

2 Likes

In my opinion, no manual safety belongs on a pistol. Pull trigger, it fires. Don’t, it doesn’t. That’s it.

2 Likes

Happy Anniversary @Dave17 ! We sure appreciate you good sir. Have a terrific day.

5 Likes

Well, she was bored, just wanted to be taken out to the range and fingered a little

2 Likes

I carry my Beretta in the same condition. I can live with the de-cocker on a Beretta which also acts as a trigger disconnect. The beretta does also have a chamber loaded indicator I do not use, I know the chamber has a round in it. I do not hand my loaded weapon to ANYONE, so no one else needs to know until it is showtime.

I see all the bells and whistles on weapons now day and view them with the same dis-interest as I do with all the “safety” advancements being engineered into automobiles. I didn’t grow up with them, so I learned to drive without them. I learned to shot without all the new stuff, so I don’t need any of it.

1 Like

I’m curious…what bells and whistles are being referred to?

I’m looking at, well, all, of my handguns, and…they are point and shoot.

They have a trigger, a magazine release, a slide stop, and generally some kind of a takedown lever or tabs. That’s it.

Pull trigger to fire, release magazine to release magazine, use slide stop to stop or release the slide…that’s it.

Glock, S&W, Walther, H&K, FNH, all of them. And they are all new models, so new they are already red dot compatible from the factory in most cases.

What bells and whistles am I missing?

2 Likes