AR Or Shotgun for home defense

I tried this with an improvised rest and 3” slugs to help my cousin get his setup sighted in. I’ll buy somebody a cheap rifle before I go through that again…

3 Likes

I had a close friend that had a 12 gauge ported and he said it made a very big difference. This shotgun thing came up in another topic and on top of everything was “ the way spousetts run all over the house like a fart in a skillet doing a bunch of stuff a shot gun is impractical and you’d have to lock it up or take it with you if you went out, it might be easier for hear gust to put her EDC in hear jammies you think “ :question:
PS: good excuse to pat hear down.

2 Likes

Me personally I would have an AR for home defense over a shotgun just for me it’s easier to shoot an AR mor accurate and controlled.

4 Likes

My wife is fine us getting any type of weapon, except an AR :pensive:

That being said when we first started gearing up this year I picked up a Mossberg 500 Retrograde. Love that thing and it looks fantastic IMHO.
For some reason, shottys and I have gotten along since I fired my first shot with one back in my Coast Guard days.
The plain bead sight works just fine, and I do aim, but can aim very well just looking at the barrel end.
This works for me.
However it is not practical to carry around the house and will be carrying my pistol when in the other rooms.

My wife has tried and she just plain won’t use it. She has her 9mm.

For the shotgun I have bought Federal with Flight Wad. Leaves a nice tight pattern at the distances a house encounter would be.

2 Likes

Get an AK pattern rifle then. You can still use reliable 30 round magazines and it’s small enough for women and youth to enjoy too!

2 Likes

Another option is a Ruger mini 14. Even the hoplophobic anti gun politicians don’t seem to be afraid of it for some reason. It usually gets exempted from most of the proposed assault weapon bans.

4 Likes

Maybe she would prefer an AK? If she is a 9mm fan there is also the Sub2K.

2 Likes

Does Remington still make the pump action 223 that uses stanag magazines?

1 Like

I haven’t seen any of those in quite some time. Maybe they will make a comeback if the anti gunners succeed with their ban plan.

My first hunting rifle was a remington 7600 in 308. Handy little pump rifle. Unfortunately only had a 4 round mag option from the factory and the aftermarket 10 rnd mags were not the most reliable. With a reliable 10rnd mag it could make a viable self defense tool.

2 Likes

I doubt we’ll see them again now that the general public has been conditioned to seeing LE with the rifles they [general public] are being told only belong in war zones.

Which is to say that, as i recall, the main reason tgsoe pump rifles existed was to give 223 ammo and ballistics to cops without the overt rifle appearance

1 Like

We have a smaller house. For tight spaces, Mossberg 510 Youth Mini Super Bantam. 20gauge, 18.5 in. barrel. 3+1. Inexpensive, still makes a good “deterrent” sound, still makes big enough holes, in a large enough pattern, with a good bit less recoil. 9mm as backup.

1 Like

But if they pass a law saying only police can carry “war zone” weapons then the pump rifle becomes a likely next best option. Their obvious goal is to eventually declare all semi auto weapons as only being acceptable for government enforcers to carry.

The rest of us will eventually have to settle for sticks and stones. Unless we go the England route where defending yourself from an attacker is a potential crime.

1 Like

Another option may be a lever action rifle, if you are interested in a rifle for home defense. However a pump or semi auto shotgun is a great defensive firearm. Without knowing more about why she doesn’t like the idea of an AR 15, there is no way to really suggest alternatives. I think my wife would be okay with a minigun for home defense if we could afford one, however I would be the one wielding it due to the shear weight.

4 Likes

Consider a .22 WMR Kel-Tec CMR. Lots of energy close in, ammo available in HP, very light weight. And very fun to shoot - training/practice friendly.

4 Likes

Just looked it up. Wow! Leave it to Kel-Tec to come up with something else unique and yet practical. Now I want one.

2 Likes

Might as well grab a Sub2K in 9mm while you are at it. Order it from Kel-Tec with all the performance mods installed. I guarantee it will become you favorite carbine. I also recommend the scope flip-mount. For the CMR a red/green dot with an etched reticle is a real winner. You can also pair the CMR with a PMR and get an extremely light .22 WMR handgun w/ a 30 round mag. I am a big fan of pairing carbine w/ handgun in same caliber.

3 Likes

Her reasoning is she doesn’t want an “Assault Rifle” in the house.
Just one of those odd things, as anything else is a green light LoL.

I am good with what we have now though. Just at some point I would like to get a rifle of some sort.

1 Like

Sorry that is the case! That may change though as she becomes more familiar with firearms.

2 Likes

I currently keep a Remington 870, 12 gauge, with 18-inch barrel and 00 buck for home defense with a Glock 35 as back up. To be honest after reading through this thread I am reconsidering options. I still like the 12 gauge for room clearing but think in many cases the pistol or even an AR might be better due to the more precise shots.

1 Like

@BlackHawk This is what I made up for “grab and go”.

imageBump in the night belt, do you have one? - #29 by BRUCE26

Everything fits into one sling pouch and hangs in my closet.

This was previously posted in. Bump in the night belt, do you have one? - #29 by BRUCE26

2 Likes