AR Or Shotgun for home defense

.300AAC subsonic 240gr. Ar pistol. Does not over penetrate and will absolutely put down anything hit with it.

2 Likes

What do you consider to be over penetration?

That has ballistics similar to a handgun doesn’t it?

2 Likes

The round will create a major wound channel but nit exit the body. It has excellent ballistics for hunting. Some 9mm will pass through a target where as subsonic .300aac usually won’t.

1 Like

Would you mind sharing the ballistics/gel tests of the subsonic 300 blk in question?

Sure, some 9mm could pass through, some 300 blk could also. With all, proper cartridge/bullet selection is important. For example, probably don’t want FMJ in either one.

Nothing at all against sub sonic 300 blk, it’s just, when I looked into it, ballistics didn’t seem far off from a .45 ACP Handgun
in the subs it seems 300 is much closer to behaving like a pistol than a rifle. The “will absolutely put down anything hit with it” seems like a bit of a over-statement is what I’m getting at

2 Likes

I stand corrected and after this I am likely going to rethink my home defense strategy. I went to look up penetration tests on gel, and to my surprise what I thought I knew was indeed Wrong!

Which came as a bit of a shock seeing as how it appears some swat teams use subsonic .300aac for anti body armor combatants and that more or less changed my paradigm.

Truthfully, until I do some more research I am probably going to bow out of recommending anything.

This came as a serious surprise. Now I have to sort some things out. Thanks Nathan. Now I have to probably spend money.

2 Likes

Supersonic 300 blk, on the other hand, might be just what you are looking for
could be a very easy switch with the right choice of round. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Research is cheap! Glad you discovered it for yourself. I still love the 300 though. Ballistics with subsonic on paper is similar to 45 acp.
Not many people consider the sectional density of bullets. That is where the big difference between the two lies.

2 Likes

deleted

1 Like

That isn’t talked about because a firearm is lethal force. You should, 100%, anytime you use a firearm, expect it to be considered lethal force, even if you load it with rock salt.

There also exists a very real possibility, if you start mixing “non lethal” rounds and lethal rounds in the same gun, you’ll get the ‘other one’ by mistake. In LE when they have bean bag shotguns etc, they use dedicated different color special guns that never get real ammunition in them (if they are even compatible), if they are doing it right.

You’d hate to think you have a “non lethal” rock salt round when, well, no, that’s buckshot.

You’d also hate to need to stop a violent attacker/intruder right now and, well, the rock salt really stings but it’s not even slowing them down oops.

2 Likes

Mossberg 500 pump next to the bed, mainly because it’s something my wife is also comfortable with. She’s really not a gun person, so the simplicity of the shotgun is something she’s familiar with.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind my asking, what condition to keep that shotgun stored that makes the operation simple for a non gun person?

1 Like

A pump shotgun has a safety and a slide release. Going with the ar, you are adding a magazine release. So one less button or lever for the non firearms enthusiast to remember.

1 Like

I doubt a mag release would be needed in a home defense situation if you have 20-30 rounds of 5.56 on tap.

In the event you need that much, I’ll wager that reloading the AR is far easier than reloading that pump shotgun. Plus, of course, 20-30 shots before reloading the AR vs, what, 5-6 before reloading the shotgun
and reloading shotshells individually under stress isnt’ exactly fast and smooth for non gun people either

The pump shotgun also as the pump for every shell, the AR being semi automatic does not have that.

The way I see it, if you keep both in the same ready condition, the semi auto AR has fewer controls to use than the pump shotgun does. Could be, flip the safety and then just pull the trigger.

1 Like

Yes sir. Both work the same in that condition.

But I have seen new shooters and people less familiar with the controls mix things up with the ar platform.

1 Like

Well, the pump shotgun works for one shot in that condition, but it stops there, as you have to rack it, and not short stroke it, to get the next round, where a semi auto continues to be just pull the trigger.

3 Likes

Shell in the chamber, action cocked, tang safety on. My wife is not interested in guns, but she does know how to shoot one, and I run her through the procedure regularly.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, how do you have the shotgun stored in the bedroom? I have not fully figured out the best approach for that as I do want mine available in the bedroom, but somewhat secured. Still fussing around with ideas.
Have been looking at a below the bed safe.

1 Like

I have a 10 ga. kiln gun mounted in my room.

1 Like

Just standing in the corner. Just my wife and myself, no children or other house guests. If someone was to come visit I would move it to the safe.

4 Likes

If legal in your region; pro’s & con’s to having a “laser”, as a sight on the home firearm? Or a built in flashlight on it?

1 Like