Anyone have good reviews of Stoeger handguns?

I’m just unfamiliar with them and curious what you all know about their products. Thanks for your reply.

3 Likes

I bought one last week, haven’t been to the range with it yet

3 Likes

They make a nice shotgun. If the handguns follow the shotgun trend, they’re great. Let us know what you think when you take it out @Karacal . Im interested as well. I gotta recover from my recent purchase, and get a trijicon, so you have time :rofl:

4 Likes

Hey Number5.alive ! Welcome to the family !
I have the STR-9S ‘Combat’ 20 rd mags,
(3) dot Fiber sights, flared mag well yadda yadda…
She is a fabulous operator. I think I paid $550?
I also have one of their “Alley Cleaners”
I guess they call them a ‘Coach gun’ Side by side 12 ga.
AWESOME also. The one you are looking @ the STR9
be a will be a great handgun for you. (My opinion)
Stoeger makes fine hardware, I believe I put at least (1)K rounds threw
her pipe? I KNOW there were NO issues. Smooth feeds.
Good luck Brother, let us know what you chose.

Peace Out.

5 Likes

I have a 45 long colt single action revolver. No problems.
Love the look and feel of it.
Have always wanted a Stoeger coach gun, but still waiting for that.

2 Likes

My interest was piqued until I watched this video of an STR 9C field strip. This was right out of the box. Maybe it could happen to any gun, but I’ll stick to my little Glock for now. Malfunction starts at about 12:23 when he puts the recoil spring back in on the wrong ledge.

3 Likes

Stoeger is not a manufacturer. They find quality firearms makers around the world and they enter into a deal to rebrand with their name, import and sell in the USA.

They have a great track record, that is many decades long at this point, of bringing high quality affordable guns into the USA. Firearms that in most cases surpass the quality indicated by their price point.

1 Like

I remain of the opinion that if one is unable or simply unwilling to afford the New price of a bread and butter gun from someone like Glock or Smith and Wesson or Walther etc, a used Glock is the way to go.

Super simple to work on, well proven track record of reliability and durability, inexpensive super widely available magazines, best selection of holsters and sights etc of anything out there, etc. A new to the market gun that might fizzle away that has relatively speaking no support for it in the marketplace and has yet to prove itself…give met he used Glock (or M&P or similar). If you want something different to not have the same gun as everyone else, try a CZ. :slight_smile:

I, for the most part agree, though buying a used gun can be a gamble if you are not knowledgeable on what to look for. Glocks have a reputation for durability that is almost mythical and YET and I’ve bumped into several Glocks that were so worn out I wouldn’t give $50 for them. Most of the used stuff out there are retired police guns, some of them with low round counts and others… not so much. One of the ones that came to me for sale in particular was outright dangerous and I’m convinced that the previous owner was shooting way to hot reloads through it.

I’ve also bumped into plenty of revolvers with screwed up timing, lose cylinders, bent cranes, bulges in the barrels, worn out internals etc. That being said, about 90% of the guns I buy are used because there is hardly anything new left that I still want or need. I have a passion for classics, and I have never been burned, So I’m forced to buy used examples most times. BUT, I’ve made a lifetime study of what to look for and how to properly asses the used guns. I also have a bunch of friends around the country that are world class gunsmiths so my 6 is covered, and I also buy a lot of guns from friends so when they tell me something is cherry, I know it is.

A new gun at the same price as an old one comes with a certain level of peace of mind. Taurus for example does not have the same QC as Glock BUT, they give you a lifetime warrantee at the price level (or lower) than a police trade-in Glock, and if there is anything wrong with the gun they just send you a new one. And the average Taurus CC 9mm is half the cost of a new Glock and from the many examples I’ve fired, not a bad firearm.

2 Likes

I just finished putting the first 100 through mine. No failures, the grip and feel is great. It feels and looks like a collaboration between S&W(the slide)and Walther(the grip). The trigger is smoother than my Glocks out of the box. Mine came with the Burris FF3 which I’m not fond of the 3 MOA dots. Most likely I’ll throw a 6 on it instead. Even fits my G5 G19 holsters

4 Likes

God that’s horrible

1 Like