Anyone else enjoy shotgun games

Although I carry whenever I can , one of my favorite things to do is shoot my shotgun. I’m a IDNR wingshooting instructor , and my Pheasants forever chapter host 5 or 6 wingshooting events for women and children to teach them how to shoot and get them involved in our sport and firearms. Was wondering how many people on the forum also shoot shotguns for fun. This was me my brother and my nephew yesterday shooting sporting Clay’s at my club

3 Likes

We shoot clays quite a bit. Our church is going to have a turkey shoot in November. Shotguns are just plain fun for the target destruction they are capable of.

3 Likes

My first gun was a 12 gauge, learned to shoot trap then skeet then sporting clays. :grin:
Don’t shoot them often right now, but it’s fun when I do.

2 Likes

Love the first picture, guessing you used a cell phone mount to take the picture @Sidecarr9? I’m betting no one was standing that close to the front of your shotgun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, most of the game are aimed at getting ready for bird season. Mostly shoot at the farm but there is a sporting clays place in Indiana that I go to that is a lot of fun. Some of the “grouse” presentations that are briefly visible through a opening in the trees are humbling :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to something fierce.

10 years ago I started by joining a gun club and moving close to it so I could get out to the range… the rub was my job was a demanding mistress and I had elder family as well to care for; there was no time (or energy) for me. Now, I have to strengthen my lower back and shoulders… hopefully overcome a lower back injury which caused me to lose that job, and much of my physicality) 8 years ago.

It’s just me now, and I would hope the dreams of skeet, target, and upland foul hunting I carried as a child 50 years ago could now be enjoyed and used to heal me physically.

2 Likes

My brother had a gopro with a barrel mount.

1 Like

What area are you located , maybe one of us can take you out to enjoy breaking some clays .

1 Like

My nephew didn’t realise there were different size clays to simulate faster or farther away shots

1 Like

I remember seeing Jerry Miculek on TV once playing a shotgun game. They tossed a hula hoop out to float on a pond, then tossed a tennis ball into the hoop. One person used a .22 rifle to shoot just under the ball to make it pop up into the air, then another person used a shotgun to try and hit the ball. Sure, it sounds easy, but they had some trouble with it.

Regards.

1 Like

In sporting clays the rabbits are the ones I almost never miss… love those!

The club I belong to has 3 trap ranges.

However the only shotgun I have is an Ithaca Model 37 featherlight full chock, full 36 inch barrel 12 gauge so I do not really shot trap.

That is the first shotgun I purchased back in 1975. I still have it today, great gun.

1 Like

We have a skeet thrower at my Brother in laws house, donated by Friends of the NRA for the 4H trap team. Even the local IDNR facility has a skeet thrower.

I used to have issues with the rabbits . Then I figured out how to shoot them, now I hardly ever miss one

2 Likes

If anyone’s interested in going I have a membership at Downers Grove sportsman club in Morris Illinois , I also have a membership at the Hillsdale College shooting center in Hillsdale Mi . Let me know

1 Like

Those are brain stem shooting for me… no time to think, just shoot. The ones that give me fits are the ones with loooots of time to think. Goose, duck… too much time to consider what to do interferes with my timing and follow through on the movement. The quick ones… quail, pheasant, and especially rabbit, my brain doesn’t have time to get in the way. :laughing:

1 Like

I want a Browning light 12.

2 Likes

I shoot trap once a week. When I’m done I walk over to the pistol range and have some fun training.

3 Likes

Trap and skeet bore me to death, sporting clays is always a challenge.

I prefer upland and wing shooting but between seasons clays makes for a great outing especially with the family.

2 Likes