Trap, Skeet, or Sporting Clay Leagues this spring?

I’ll admit, I’ve only shot sporting clays once and LOVED it! But I did have to look up the differences between the three. (The NRA has a great visual on the differences here.)

Is anyone joining a league this spring? Which do you prefer? Trap, Skeets or Sporting Clays?

I’m not doing the league, but I can shoot trap whenever I want, and I’m looking forward to it!

1 Like

That and 3d archery. Archery makes you a better shot in general.

1 Like

In addition to the AR build, I would love to get into archery… so many things to do, so little time!

1 Like

The nice thing about archery is that after your initial purchase, it’s cheap. It’s also quiet and almost meditative. It really teaches you to control a lot of things at once.

2 Likes

not in a league right now, but I learned to shoot on trap, then graduated to skeet and eventually sporting clays :smiley:
When I was learning sporting clays, I worked 10 minutes from a range with a really nice sporting clays setup. 5 of us used to go at lunch and take a lesson twice a week with a world-record-holding shotgun guy… learned a LOT. He defined the differences this way: Trap is all about repeating a steady rhythm, ready…pull…bang. Skeet takes more skill and you need more speed and flexibility and a lot more coffee. In sporting clays, he says, you’re just lucky if your buddy isn’t giving you a Melvin while you shoot :wink:

Personally, I like trap (because I’m good at it) and sporting clays (because it’s challenging and diverse). I love the quail station (FAST!) and I almost never miss the rabbit station (I think it’s really shooting on brain stem reflex). The duck and geese stations… not so much. they take FOREVER to get in range and that gives me time to start thinking, which is the death of accuracy for me. :unamused:

Love the definition! (I’d never heard “giving you a Melvin” before - I’ve heard of what it is, but haven’t heard that nickname!)

1 Like