Skeet or Sporting Clays?

Skeet shooting is very similar to Trapshooting, both have 5 stations and stationary target boxes that launch clays in an overall consistent manner. You move through five starting positions in both Skeet and Trap.

Sporting clays are sometimes called “golf for shotguns.” You move through a series of stations that launch clays in a variety of manners (high, low, rolling, side to side).

Have you shot Skeet or Sporting Clays? Which do you prefer (or want to try) and why?

3 Likes

I am a huge fan of sporting clays. That said, I never turn down a chance to shoot and sometimes a round or two of trap or skeet is in order. 5 stand is fun too!

As for why, I love the walk and the different presentations. Also, every skeet range is the same while no two sporting clays courses are the same.

1 Like

I love all shotgun games.
I’ve yet to try sporting clays, but there is a 5 Stand course in the next county I’d like to try,

1 Like

I have shot sporting clays. I love it! I need to get back into shotgunning.

2 Likes

We shoot sporting clays all the time to stay sharp for bird hunting. Never shot trap🤔

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed shooting all 3. I’ve been fortunate to have private property where, for many years, we would shoot our own version of sporting clays before it was cool. We would devise shots where the shooter would walk a line about 10 yards long. At some a ‘trapper’ off to his rear on either side would launch the clay. All the shooter knew was a clay or two would be coming at some point, sometimes one from each side. He did not know the when, where, or flight path. This was usually done in a hardwood area with enough trees to make things interesting. I’m kind of tight with my money and don’t like to pay for a place to shoot when I can use my own property.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh!!! Our daughter has been shooting clays on the youth team, and has done really well. Trap, 5 stand, and sporting. We have 2 local clubs…1 club has all 3. I have been having a heck of a time shooting clays, and really need some instruction. There is an upcoming USAYESS? i think that is the name, coaches clinic in Salt Lake City in Sept, that I want to attend to learn more. Since we live in the country and have our own pistol/long barrel range, a couple of throwers is on the bucket list. William220 has a great idea above!

I posted this under stupid stuff…

I have a horrible confession to say here…I am not much of a shot gun shooter. My mrs is from commifornia and has shot a lot of ducks. So a few years ago, the mrs bought me a nice Benelli pump for my birthday. I needed to expand my hunting capabilities and harvest some birds. Started practicing with clays…then in 2018 had an burn type (not gun related) accident, and maybe couldn’t shoot a firearm. Recovered well and have been rifle hunting and of course pistol shooting and training. Our daughter has been shooting trap on the youth league, and doing very well with the Benelli. Sat, we had some snow, and the youth shot, indoor/outdoor 5 stand. After their practice was over, the coaches and dads, and I decided to shoot 5 stand. The other fellows are more experience than I, and I haven’t shot the bang stick since 2018. I struggled, my daughter had to coach me, and I only hit 1 clay. ONE! I think 5 stand is 25 rounds, and can shoot each throw twice if needed. ONE CLAY!!! Prob on accident! The strength in my right arm is weak, and my pump ability??? No bueno. I def need more practice. I am so screwed, yet ashamed, I haven’t kept in practice. Stupid as I haven’t been training on the bang stick.

UPDATE…borrowed a semi from one of my adopted sons…i am able to shoot better. However still struggling at breaking some clays. Any instructors in southern Idaho?

3 Likes

I’ve shot trap one time. I’d like to do it more.

I like trap, but prefer sporting clays. Which was described to me as

Golf…but with shotguns!

2 Likes

Looking into trying “clays” I think at a place nearby soon. I need to do some shotgun shooting before I go to Texas for a dove hunt. Have not shot a shotgun in a couple of years.

1 Like

I have shot both, but I enjoy Sporting Clays more than Skeet. The Grouse stations are always humbling, my midwest “swing through” shooting method trims a lot of trees on the course:-)

What area are you going to? I grew up dove hunting in the Eagle Lake, East Bernard, El Campo area and the Palacios area.

Near Breckenridge TX. It is near Strawn TX, home of Mary’s Cafe and the Second Baptist Church. LOL.

1 Like

Nice! I don’t get up north much, but it’s beautiful country up there!

Sporting clays is a great outing.
I really like 5 stand and flurry as well.
Trap–eh. kinda boring after the former mentions.
Skeet (to me) is a rich man’s sport–I think there are 4 different gauges needed. No thanks.
Nothing humbles you like a round of sporting clays. Or gets you hooked!

2 Likes

This is true! I have had friends that brag about what a good shot they were until they couldn’t hit clays. I once thought I was good until I went with my grandpa…

1 Like

I never really got into shooting clay seriously, I had a friend take me and according to him I was very good. But I already have enough expensive hobbies

2 Likes

Love sporting clays! We have a local range here in Holland, MI that I frequent at least every other week. Love the variety of challenges and I feel it keeps me proficient for duck hunting in the off months. I also bring my entire staff from work to run through the course as party of our Christmas party. For three years we have a revolving trophy that floats amongst the team. Great team building event as you get to give feedback, see results, and build a high level of comradery as you go through the course. Of course, heavy bouts of heckling are always called for when you miss the “easy” one.

4 Likes

It’s all fun at the end of the day. it doesn’t take too much to talk me in to doing either one.

2 Likes

Any shooting sports! Yet I was fortunate to be introduced to skeet by the local club(Isaac Walton) all the shooters were out, I was interested and intimidated at first yet they took me under wings and let me use their shotguns. Was awesome! I also have a greater appreciation for shotguns and how important it is that they fit you properly! (Like golf clubs) Boy that can make a HUGE difference between hits and misses, good days and bad!

3 Likes