Ammo shortage. Any tips?

Maybe someone here has already asked the question, but does anyone have a solid strategy on how and where to find 9mm? or 556? I have looked high and low for weeks now without much success. its been hit or miss when I stop by Sportsmans Warehouse. Just about anywhere else I go in town (Phoenix, AZ) they are all out (including Cabelas).

The other thing I find is that when I do see some available it’s often 3x the normal cost. For now I am refusing to pay those prices just based on principle.

I have some stored ammo but not enough that I feel comfortable going to the range to practice at the moment.

4 Likes

I just bought some 9mm from a site that is like eBay for guns. Gunbroker.com
Set a price you’re comfortable with and don’t get carried away.

6 Likes

@Kevin176 Thanks man!

3 Likes

Also, check out Sig Sauer and Federal ammo. They will put up what they have aft a fair price. You gave to jump on it fast because they do sell or our. Try again in a few hours.
It’s hit or miss.

5 Likes

You may also be interested in this thread: How long is this ammo shortage going to last?

3 Likes

Thanks Kevin, I have tried federal once or twice, but sounds like I need to check more frequently. Sig too. Do you know how long their ship times are?

3 Likes

thank you good sir. I will be reading it shortly/

3 Likes

It will be hit or miss. Try Cheaper Than Dirt, as they do get ammo in stock though not much and not always what you want.
They did have some .45 ACP and some 9mm, and some 5.56mm and even .22LR.

Sportsman Guide may also have some in stock.

I thought people were just panicking when they first started talking about ammo shortages, but a month or so later and I started seeing shortages.

Remember, we did close down the last lead smelter under the Obama administration, so lead may need to be imported for any ammo, and it depends on where it is coming from.

I have also heard regardless of who wins the election it might not improve, and that in part could be due to the lead smelter issue.

2 Likes

I’ve been waiting for a month on a shipment from federal… in stock must not mean what I thought it did.

2 Likes

If you have been reading this thread for the past few weeks you should already know to go to AMMOSEEK.com to tell you where to find what you are looking for and then buy as soon as you find the AMMO that you want, it may not be there when you go back. If you really need it then you should not be worried about the price.

12 Likes

I’ve heard it could take a couple of weeks. Just won 500 for $300.

1 Like

Just got back from my local, bought a box of 9mm(one box limit) two boxes of 556 (two hundred round limit).

2 Likes

Use Ammoseek.com as FunCycle suggested. Go to the different vendor sites and sign up for in-stock alerts on particular rounds. When you get the email, drop what you are doing and purchase the ammo. If you hesitate, it will be gone. Another tip, create accounts at the sites you are getting alerts from with your shipping info and billing address (not card number) already in your profile. Believe it or not, each second you can shave off the order process matters. If you dilly-dally stuff will disappear from your shopping cart! Good luck.

3 Likes

I would also add depending on your state, local gun stores like Scheels (when available at all) are vastly less than currently online. Same as our local range just picked up 100rds 9mm speer lawman for $38, used to be $24

2 Likes

@PossumSlayer1 Good to know! thanks!

2 Likes

@joeseph192 Great advice, I’m going to that site now. Thanks!

2 Likes

One strategy that is working for me is “Pre-purchasing”. This will work better at a Mom & Pop gunshop than a big box store. Ask if you can pay for a box or two of ammo now and have them call you when it comes in. They may have no idea when they will get their next ammo shipment, that’s fine you just want to be in the queue when it arrives. Don’t call them everyday and bug them asking for an ETA on the ammo’s arrival, just wait patiently for the call.

6 Likes

Ammo incorporated is claiming an $80 million+ backlog in orders. Ammo Inc has added machinery to increase production further.
I will just wait and see.

Larry

4 Likes

@Anthony2 I have found success shopping online between 1-3am. Sounds crazy yet has worked on my last two buys. Quantity and pricing are fair as well.

4 Likes

Ammoland lets you preorder wont pay for it till its ready to ship ammo seek.com think it was suppose to do all the looking for ya. An sad to say dirt cheap ammo its not cheap though!

2 Likes