Ammo Shipping Prices

Ammo shipping prices are out of control. A 333 count of .22lr for $24.75 with shipping just as much.

Good thing is finding free shipping, but there’s usually minimum purchase requirements. Go big or stay home :laughing:
Target Sports…cases are free ship
Steelcityammoco.com $500 min ships free no tax.

3 Likes

I just got 5 boxes of Federal Law Enforcement HST +p .45 acp for .94 cents a bullet

1 Like

I just put two of these in the cart, and shipping was $16

1 Like

Added 100 boxes of Norma 22s and shipping went to $44

Yeah, shipping went crazy up.
Thx God I always buy minimum 1,000 rds, so never have to pay shipping fees… however this morning I’ve gotten another surprise…

Screenshot from 2022-05-22 13-53-52

FYI… I live in Illinois… :joy:

4 Likes

2 Likes

Well they have given you a list of better states. So it’s up to you to take your pick…

I drive around the state when going from TN to St Louis.

5 Likes

:joy:
I still prefer IL than CA, NJ and NY. :wink:

2 Likes

Got 200 rounds of that still wrapped in cello…pre covid. Don’t remember the price, probably a good thing, emotionally :smirk:

5 Likes

Shipping on a single box of ammo was always silly.

Ordering ammo is by case quantity.

There are some places doing free shipping for orders of $200 or more now, though

1 Like

I didn’t see those on the list either!

I’m guessing there are no States listed you would like to drive through. :grinning:

2 Likes

There are several ammo sources (Norma, MidwayUSA, Academy Sports, and others) that regularly have “no shipping cost” specials based on low total order cost (often less than $50). Takes some patience and perseverance, but worth the effort.

2 Likes

@Jerzees …gotten another surprise. Don’t fill bad, NM has gone missing a couple times too! :joy:

2 Likes

Some retailers use shipping charges to fill in behind a teaser price on the product. I haven’t been widely pricing .22LR lately, so I don’t know whether 7.5¢ is a great price or what.

I do a lot of my shopping at MidwayUSA, and as — @Larry130 points out — they have a free shipping promotion about once a month. The puzzle is to make your need, and a good price, and their free ship period all come together for a net bargain.

A story from just this week — MidwayUSA had a great clearance price on a couple camp chairs I wanted, but shipping was $11 each and clearance items are excluded from the free ship offer. So I poked around for $50 worth of something else to see if that would carry the freight charge — .22LR 40gr CPHP at 10¢ a round. That’s not 7.5¢, but there was no freight on the ammo — certainly better than 15¢ delivered. And the $22 to ship the chairs disappeared. That kind of win makes me happy. :grinning: Except, not — I got the last of the ammo in my cart at 2210hr PT, and the numbers didn’t add up right. Because the free ship period had closed at 2400hr CT. :sob:

So, I missed that one — hitting a moving target requires anticipation, timing, patience, and knowing your quarry. You can’t catch all the breaks

Sometimes they have a manufacturer promotion for free ship on a single product or brand — usually a lot of other things can ride along at no additional charge. Midway has also been hundreds of dollars of good to me by making it easy to hear and claim manufacturer rebates, along with frequent sales and promotions. Some of the other big online markets don’t play so straight, and don’t get my money any more.

5 Likes

Shop local, support your LGS.

2 Likes

$0.07 is “post Covid” fair. I don’t think we will ever see $0.03 per round. I play the hunt and peck game several times a week across a variety of sites. It’s a game of patience!

1 Like

I would really love to… but $21.99 (LGS) vs $14.99 (Internet, delivered) per box is a lot, especially when I need over 1,000 rds per month. :neutral_face:

4 Likes

Sadly, I must agree. The same ammo I received for $0.30/round delivered is $0.40/round locally. I use the savings on ammo to pay for gas to get to the range!

1 Like