700 pcr

Anyone have any positive or negative experience with the 700 PCR. I’m considering one and wonder what experiences y’all may have to share?

1 Like

If it were up to me, I would hold off for a little bit, and this is coming from a big Remington 700 fan (current count is 9). I would wait at least a year before buying anything with the Remington name on it to allow all the adjustments from the bankruptcy to settle down. And yes, it pains me to say it.

4 Likes

I saw this on YouTube just for your info and looks like an excellent rifle.
:+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Good point. Any idea where this part of the business is landing? PSA?

1 Like

When I played with the prototype version for the SOCOM trials they had a 1:11.25 twisted tube which is ONLY for 18" or less barrels and is ONLY for using LC LR ammo and it didn’t do so well. I’m glad to see they went with a 1:10 twisted tube on the production gun. Any rifle (in 308) that won’t do better than 1/2 MOA with Federal Gold Medal Match (FGMM) has issues. I have no experience with 6.5 Creedmore other than knowing the inventor. It is actually very hard to find a 1:10 twisted tube in a heavy barrel production gun as most are “varmint” rifles and they like to twist them 1:12 for light boolits. Savage is the only one (prior to reading this) that does. Of course this one probably costs several times a Savage chassis gun. I’m not a big fan of Remington’s triggers and safety’s and prefer other options but I’m hard headed like that. Other than that they make a decent stick.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

It started with noodling on a new stock for the 40x. Then this showed up on the wall at a friends shop last weekend (NIB on consignment). The next thing you know after a bit of research and some price checks I’m saying WTF, negotiating price, and handing over some green.

Probably not my best purchase with the tear drop, SquareDrop, KeyMod, monstrosity of a forend and a trigger known to be questionable… but it was calling to me like that neglected puppy that you just know can be good with a little love…

2 Likes

@Greg35 Well I hope your 40X did not come into the bargain as they are some of the best that Remmy has ever consistently produced, alas one shot wonders. IIRC the fore end is not a Remmy specific item and is sourced from elsewhere that makes lots of variations in the same TPI & DIA. Forgive me I cannot recall the who. Mayhaps your local buddy gun broker will let you play with his pieces parts to see if you can find a match and then get one more suitable to you.

It is an ugly beast but then again I carried the Chey Tac and the Barrett so just keep remembering Function not Beauty.

And now for the next can of worms…

How are you going to break her in? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

LOL, the old 40x isnt going anywhere yet.

Break in???..I honestly dont know / haven’t thought much about it so far. I’m still getting past the fact that I bought it.

What is this centuries school of thought for what I understand is a hammer forged carbon steel barrel (5R)? At first blush it sounds to me like something that would benefit from a day at the range fire lapping based on metallurgy alone. Some CLP, a bag of patches, and maybe a little bore butter to speed the process would be the ‘go with what ya know’ approach for me.

1 Like