Remanufactured Ammo?

Found out I have been shooting ammo from my local range that uses recycled brass. Unfortunately I had a failure to feed the other with a gun I’m trying to set up for carry.

What are y’all’s thoughts on remanufactured ammo from a company that uses machines to recycle brass off the range?

5 Likes

My thoughts are use at your own risk, they use pick up brass to load that ammo and do you or they know how many times its been loaded? Probably not.

Most of the stories I’ve heard of malfunctions in firearms made in the last 5-10 years has usually been attributed to poor made homemade reloads or poorly made range reloads.

8 Likes

So why are you using it to test the reliability of a SD firearm??? :thinking:

6 Likes

Depends on who did it and whether you trust them. There are a lot of ways to load it wrong, but there are some folks that do a great job. They’ll know when the casing is unsafe, etc.

7 Likes

Because it comes in a nice box and I didn’t know it was remanufactured ammo until after I was researching my ftf :grin:. I wanted 50 extra rounds at the range so I bought their cheapest box… no where does it say “remanuctured” on the box and their website does not use the term “remanufactured”. It uses the word “value” for its recycled brass line. I had to dig on their web sight to put it all together.

2 Likes

I’ll have to be honest here. Given the current availability of ammunition, I won’t fault anyone for sourcing ammunition wherever they can find it. The days of “I will only test the reliability of my EDC with 500 rounds of premium ammo” are over.

When I was working and was issued my firearms, you ran ammo through it and called it good. Most people waste too much money (and good ammunition) running guns through torture tests and 99% of those people will never, ever need to draw their EDC, let alone press the trigger.

5 Likes

I think this is my take. The ammo my range provides has been decent. It’s a legit company with good equipment. I’d rather buy new at the store (and it’s the same price) but when Covid happened I ended up shooting small amounts of whatever they had.

I just wouldn’t have run the ammo through a new carry gun while checking reliability. I feel kinda scammed because I didn’t know it was remanufactured.

6 Likes

“If you want something done right, then do it yourself.”

I’ve got firearms that I’ve never fired factory loaded ammunition in. I don’t shoot gun show reloads. Just what I load.

I’ve never bought a new car and have rebuilt engines as well. Either something is done correctly or done sloppy. In the end you probably get what you pay for. Could the same malfunction occurred with factory fresh ammunition? Possibly. I’ve got several hundred rounds loaded with hollow points and they function fine in all my firearms. Friend of a friend came out and they wouldn’t chamber in a Taraus of all things. It needed a slight amount of more crimp applied.

5 Likes

I generally veto reloads/remanufactured ammo. The smaller the company doing it, the farther away I stay.

I have found ammo availability to be great for awhile now. Pricing, not so much, but all of the common calibers (cartridges) have a variety available at all of the major online retailers I have ever used/ever look at.

Personally, I’d rather run factory steel case ammo than reman/reloaded brass if it’s a money concern for range use/training/practice.

IF I were to use less than desirable ammo, like reloads, I would not use them in a carry gun while proving said carry gun to myself. I hold a grudge when a gun malfunctions, even if I can ‘blame’ the ammo or the mag…so if I’m in a situation where I will ask myself “is this malfunction something I care about?” I won’t use reloads in that situation. (nor will I use Winchester)

4 Likes

So I’d say it’s safe to say my Glocks FTF probably had something to do with crappy ammo? Gun has about 400 rounds that being the only issue. I’m going to run the gun one more trip before I start carrying to make sure all the mags are good.

2 Likes

That criterion will put you at increased risk — new or used.

A malfunction is not a clear signal that your gun is going to blow up. You just can’t use bargain bin ingredients to evaluate reliability (unless that’s all you’re ever going to use). I think “recycled” brass and “remanufactured” ammunition is just marketing noise for refitting used brass. Plain old reloading, maybe in a new box?

It takes a lot to wear out a straight brass case in standard pressure common handgun calibers. I don’t think that’s a big risk on its own, if it hasn’t been out in the weather for years getting crushed and weathered. My bigger concerns in using reloads would be the general quality control, potential process errors, and use of crappy primers or other components.

3 Likes

Ya that’s Bull :poop:. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Here’s the company.

https://pbrammo.com/?SID=88edf7699909c1d9aa8d8c5dd371c3dd

I’m going to be done with their ammo. I do still have a couple boxes that I’ll keep stored away. I was happy to be able to shoot during the ammo shortage, but agreed, it’s bull.

3 Likes

Remanufactured, reloaded ammo ONLY for training.
Not for firearm testing, not for any defensive purposes.

I’ve different experience with different manufacturers.
50/50 chance of malfunctions.

6 Likes

I’m not really mad at the actual product, I’m mad that it’s not blatantly clear it’s remanufactured on the box.

6 Likes

Is it mixed headstamps on the cartridges when you open the box?
I’d be surprised if they sorted the brass by manufacturer.

5 Likes

Never had a problem with it.

2 Likes

Good post. Personally, I’d avoid em. I once purchased one small box, but it had not been advertised as recycled. It wasn’t until I noticed they were each of mixed heads-tamps on the bottom of the casings. And these were defensive JHP I had intended as EDC.

If I had extra spare firearms for range only, I might consider using them, but I don’t, and would not use recycled for EDC, as fortunately, today, I can find factory made new ammo which I’m lucky I can afford.

I’m also a Worry Wart if having a recycled bullet, after all a gun is partly having an explosion with shrapnel in one’s hand, too much on the line, life, limb, and a perfectly functional quality and expensive handgun.

I respect those who make their own ammo, they create their own quality control and at least know what they got. To each his/her own.

3 Likes

I’d say that is a safe assumption. Side note, I have had malfunctions, in all manner of firearms, from “factory” Ammo from reputable manufacturers. The only ammo I’ve never had a malfunction from is Underwood. But, I don’t shoot thousands of rounds of Underwood each year, as all the Underwood I buy is either defensive or hunting Ammo. I fire enough of it to stay proficient with my carry/hunting loads from there respective platforms. Statistically speaking, if I fired enough of any brand, there is the potential for an ammo induced malfunction. We know that Glock as a vast overall number, makes reliable pistols. Running the cheap ammo, can even give one a training opportunity to clear a malfunction while running a drill. My only concern, is if the manufacturer will stand behind their products if it causes damage to my pistol.

5 Likes

I have had a bad experience with reloaded ammo from my range. I bought a bag of 100 rounds and can honestly say that only 65-70 actually fired. At first, I was really upset, but then I took it as a great opportunity to practice clearing malfunctions.

I wouldn’t have an issue with using reloads again. I am just not comfortable with carrying it in my EDC unless I know the person doing it knows what they are doing.

7 Likes