43X, 48, or 19

Biden might be buying me a new glock (or maybe an M&P compact).

I’m stuck between 43x, 48, or 19. Thoughts?

5 Likes

This:

2 Likes

@Scoutbob, I like Glocks but not as much as M&Ps. If it were my choice I would go with the Glock 19 Gen 5. Reason being the round capacity and the 19 conceals easier. The grips on the 43x and the 48 are longer. I also don’t see much difference in the thickness. The 19 is a bit thicker but easier to conceal. You can conceal it easier in an IWB Kydex without a wing attachment, but that’s just an opinion.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input!

I’m leaning towards the M&P compact since I already have comparable mags and holsters.
I like keeping the same guns because they point the same.

What’s sad is I like the idea of buying a Glock, because I could customize it wear as there’s nothing to customize on an M&P to me :rofl::joy:.

I do like how the clock slide can be completely disassembled without taking off the sights or needing a vice.

The 43x feels good to me because my first gun was a shield, and that gun is really thin (too thin for my taste after being exposed to other guns). But I also want to own a Glock 19 just because.

2 Likes

I have an old 19 gen3 that still serves me well. My neighbor bought a 43x and 19 gen 5 recently. The new 19’s trigger is noticeably better than the 43. Lighter pull and much shorter reset. Plus with the 19 you have some nice extended mag options in various sizes. The M&P seems nice as well but I am not a fan of the magazine disconnect safety or their triggers. Though I hear the 2.0 triggers are a lot better.

4 Likes

Thank you for the input! I’ve heard good things about the gen5s.

I own a few M&Ps, none of them have the mag release safety. The trade off is it is written on the slide saying “Gun can fire without magazine” :joy:.

2 Likes

I never heard about these models… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Are these regular or shield family? :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Good to know. It has been awhile since I looked at M&Ps and thought I remembered it having that “feature”. Maybe they changed it on later models? The only M&P I own is the 22 but that is actually made by Walther and does have the disconnect.

2 Likes

The M&P Shield 2.0 was a close second but chose Glock. It was magazine capacity for me. Although there are extended mag options for the 2.0, it extends the grip far beyond my liking for conceal carry. The 43x is my every day. Shield Arms makes a 15 round mag, which I have two, without adding length.

3 Likes

Smith & Wesson is supposed to be announcing a handgun soon from what I understand. I would love if they made a competitor to the g43x and P365 that wasn’t just a 4” shield.

2 Likes

I’ve owned all of the guns mentioned (Glocks 43X, 48, 19, the M&P, and many others), and I’d do the 19 hands down. Here’s why.

The 19 is the most proven platform of the guns you’ve mentioned. It has been around the longest and is the most evolved in terms of its design. The M&P 2.0 was a significant step up from the M&P 1.0 (which had a mushy trigger and a nonexistent reset), but I’d argue that it’s not quite where the Gen 5 Glock is.

The 43X and 48 are excellent platforms that also benefit from Glock’s evolution, but I still prefer the beefier grip of the 19. With the 19 you’re into a much more common ecosystem of magazines, holsters, and just about anything else that you could want for the gun. You can also decide later on that you want to add a 17 and 26 to your arsenal, and you’ll be able to mix-and-match most of the junk for those three guns.

Oh, and the 19 Gun 5 doesn’t need to have a single thing done to it. Out of the box it has a fantastic trigger and sights, and it’ll swallow just about any ammo that you can throw at it. A lot of people buy a lot of stupid aftermarket crap for their Glocks, but out of the box is really the way to go. Save your money for ammo and training.

Mike

4 Likes

M&P keeps the mag disconnect feature on their M&P22C (the only 22 model right now, no longer under Walther manufacturing).
Actually it’s a nice feature, something that could prevent to be shot from your own pistol… :neutral_face:

2 Likes

I hope not M&P22C EZ :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

19 hands down!

2 Likes

You mean… This?
:-1:
:smiling_imp:
Oh…hands…not thumbs… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t mind the disconnect on a range pistol. But for a self defense weapon I like the option of the gun being able to still fire if a sudden threat pops up while doing a tactical reload or if the magazine release gets accidentally hit in the heat of the moment.

2 Likes

You have just reversed the reason of having mag disconnect.
This feature is not needed for you. It’s the great safety for non trained people to prevent taking the shot without mag.
It may save the life when pistol has been taken from you… if you tran to remove the mag in such situation.

Anyway…I got your point…

1 Like

This is a cool use of the feature. I think it’s saved a few cops. As a CCW I agree with @Shamrock but you have to give S&W credit for giving people options (or simply complying with states like Cali :joy:)

2 Likes

I think this would be a difficult thing to train for. The only time I can envision wanting to render my gun useless in a fight is if the bad guy has my gun in his hands and is ripping it from my grip. I think in this situation the odds of me reaching and manipulating the mag release are slim. I would rather focus my training and efforts on emptying the magazine by pulling the trigger as many times as possible with the muzzle pointed at the target or physically striking the target until I regain control of the weapon.

I do understand the safety aspect for new shooters. But with a Glock you need to pull the trigger to disassemble (not it’s best feature) so you have to learn right off the bat to check your gun before cleaning.

1 Like