4 YO shoots a 3 YO - My God secure your firearms already

Probably don’t need to read this one to get the gist of it. It keeps on happening and it’s so so so easy to avoid it.

7 Likes

Was the 3 YO a firearms instructor?

Sorry, yes this is tragic. It shows you may be able to pass a background check but couldn’t check all the boxes in life for being a responsible parent.

5 Likes

The tragedy comes as the number of children aged 17 and under killed in shootings in the U.S. in 2023 reached 325 on Monday, according to the Gun Violence Archive.

“It just seems like another tragic story of, again, a child gaining access to a firearm and hurting someone else and this time, it was a fatal shot,” he said [Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez].

Sounds to me like another case of criminal negligence, and likely, due to where, by actual criminals.

Another BS line in this story, and 100% false:

Guns are the leading cause of death for children and teenagers in the U.S. Every year, 18,000 of them are shot and killed or wounded, according to the nonprofit Everytown for Gun Safety, which advocates for gun control.

4 Likes

I have no words.

2 Likes

Imagine having to live with this. Just sad on so many levels…

5 Likes

What were the adults on the premises doing, and why were a three and four year old left alone in a room with a loaded firearm? we have the right to keep and bear arms, but shouldn’t there be some instruction and responsibility involved? maybe training is necessary to obtain a firearm. It may infringe on our 2A right ,but how about this 3yo right to life? In this case the “adults” in the home were very irresponsible, maybe they should have had training on how to not let a firearm be accessible to a 4yo. I’m all for the 2A. but in today’s world maybe we should enforce the gun laws we have and quit political postering. I’m thinking the “adults” present weren’t really responsible legal gun owners. I could be wrong. I’m thinking if you’re going to be drinking and doing drugs with your friends maybe you should unload your firearm first, not saying that that is what was happening in this situation, but just in general. Rant over.

1 Like

We could stop this if PSAs we’re permissible to enhance gun safety, they prefer to demonize! More power to them! They get what they deserve!
It was probably Trumps fault, or maybe it was the climate, very good possibility it was a white man driving! We are too far off the beaten track to effect any sort of change!

6 Likes

I remember my mother talking about growing up in the south, there was a gun in plain sight and arms reach her entire childhood. But her parents had put the fear of God in her about touching it, a lot of parents don’t in there lies the problem. Parents need to learn spanking a child properly is not going cause permanent damage and could very well save the child’s life.

4 Likes

Appreciate the post. It’s more difficult to conceal a long-gun when transporting from the range or hunt. The state I’m in requires locks on long guns when not in use, so I have them for either trigger and or on the outside of the case. I don’t mind, got used to it, and those locks are more affordable now. At least to deter a child.

1 Like

My whole family grew up in MO and KS, my grandmother grew up hunting with a Henry .22 at 5 years old bringing rabbits home for dinner. We grew up knowing what a ‘switch’ was.
Today children think not having a Wifi signal is life ending punishment.

6 Likes

After I got my first firearm (a shotgun) I put a lock on the cabinet I keep it in.
After I got my first hand gun I got a safe that is mounted to my night stand. If I’m not carrying, it’s in the safe.
I’ll never understand how / way anyone would leave a gun unsecured where a child or anyone else could get to it!

3 Likes

My kids are respectively 20 and 22, they were 10 and 12 when I purchased my first handgun. I spent a lot of quality time at the range with both, I have never locked up my gun because they knew better than to even touch it without my permission. I’m a form believer that a locked gun is a useless gun!

2 Likes