3rd party encounters- Drunk throwing stuff

I got off around 4am after work, I carry a gun and everything for self protection. I was coming home, and I parked the car.

As I got out, I checked my surroundings and didn’t see anybody.

Next thing you know, I hear screaming and yelling with the words “I ■■■■■■■ HATE YOU!” And I looked around and seen a woman throwing beer bottles at this man. I thought to myself what should I do in this situation.

Well let’s look at the man, he’s just standing there looking like he’s trying to explain himself or something. He’s not actively retreating, and I’m thinking to myself I’m responsible for my own safety, and he’s responsible for his. He’s the one being assaulted and it looked like he could easily get away and call the cops.

So the deadly force decision making I made was just return to my castle as my life wasn’t in danger and the man could have handled it on his own.

Just like how our Conceal Carry magazine editor tells us. “Before you get involved in any deadly force incident, are you prepared to lose everything you have, and everything you will ever have to get involved?”

What is your thoughts.

3 Likes

I think you made the right call.

5 Likes

Yup. No need to get involved. Might have called the police when I got inside, or maybe not.

2 Likes

That’s an easy scenario, and the Law makes it clear - if you haven’t seen the beginning / reason of the situation and you are not certain who has been initial aggressor YOU take the risk of wrong interpretation and can be charged with assault.

You made a good decision.
If you feel the situation might get out of control - call 911. Do not be involved.

4 Likes

You were correct. It was nota deadly force situation!

2 Likes

And your involvement very well could have had them both turn on you. Good call. You’d been up all night. Get some sleep, not fill out police reports.

3 Likes

You did the right thing completely. You we’re fine. And no reason to get involved

3 Likes

Been robbed 3 times at a gas station. I’m tired of filling out police reports.

3 Likes

You did the right thing. There are few situations that can not be improved with a healthy dose of ‘mind your own business’.

2 Likes

Agree with the others. Well done

2 Likes

If you lived near a bar that would probably be a near weekly occurence… I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen that scene right around closing time in my younger days.

3 Likes

Not your circus, not your monkeys. Call the cops and let them deal with it.

5 Likes

I’ve seen my fair share of domestic situations turn against the good Sam. You did the right thing. Next time call the police from a safe distance. Report it anonymously to avoid the police report and evil stares the next time one of them sees you. Keep an eye on the situation until they arrive and let them handle it.

3 Likes

Not in your lane, if you feel like being a good witness call 911, however times are changing and cops are defunded. Go about your business, have a great day! It’s not your concern. 15 - 20 years ago, I may have intervened, today, not likely! Unless it’s REALLY clear that there’s a life or death situation, I may insert myself other than that I stay in my lane!

1 Like

He could of backed away and called the cops, I’m not putting my nose into business that it doesn’t belong to. Also, we live right across from a police station. I’ve called the police enough times from working at a gas station I still currently work at. Been robbed 3 times there.

2 Likes

I would give my name to the police. Screw em. If they didnt want to be thrown into stir they would not air their dirty laundry in public.

2 Likes

If it was me I mind my business and get in my car and leave but call 911 and report the disturbance location and give details and a description of what you saw and what was happening. Leave 911 your contact info in case they need to get in touch with you.

Thinking about how I would actually handle that, and probably have in the past.

I see myself shaking my head and laughing out loud while I look him in the eye and say something like “man, you sure pissed her off” and then only look back enough to make sure one of the bottles didn’t hit me while I keep on going.

1 Like

I was easily 50-60 feet away.

2 Likes

In front of a bar, probably what I said above. I mean imagine if every time a woman said ‘I hate you’ to and/or thew something at a man the police were called…

In front of my home, I would probably keep an eye on it to be sure it didnt escalate and then call if necessary.

2 Likes