3 Basic but Important Concepts of Self Defense

There aren’t any fair fights. Like everyone else has mentioned go for the gusto/juggler, hit in the eyes, the throat, knees, nuts…I love the idea and makes infinity sense + 1. Don’t let that bastaaaard get up…finish the job. Make sure they stay down for the entire count. Again, no dead person can tell any tails.

If at all you can and do not have to engage more power to you…again, if you have to make sure no one gets backup!!!

6 Likes

I agree with you that this is a good idea.

2 Likes

Sand or dirt might work if you have some handy and can actually get it in an opponents eyes. But fingers or a thumb to the eye will work pretty much every time and most of us always have 2 hands full of fingers available whenever we need them.

I concur with @Mike164 on the Krav Maga. I have been taking it part time for the past year and a half. From my novice perspective It seems to be efficient, effective and even borrows some ground moves from BJJ though the goal is to stay on your feet and end the fight ASAP so you can get away. The gym I take my Krav training at also does BJJ. If you are in a one on one fair fight and want to make your opponent submit, BJJ seems incredibly effective. But in a self defense situation you don’t want to fight fair and you don’t want to spend time on the ground where other attackers can join in and kick you while you are down.

Taking the training has given me some very useful hand to hand tools but has also significantly increased my ability to get to my firearm when faced with an attacker who is in my face or even several feet away.

8 Likes

I resemble that remark:) But I am doing everything I can to survive hand to hand combat if left with no other choice. In real life most attackers aren’t going to stand 20-30’ away swinging their sword around in order to give you enough time to draw and fire.

6 Likes

Cool, Yea it’ the things that cause panic. Lack of sight, inability to breath, reproductive organ destruction… Mother Nature will make them think about retreating instead of attacking.

6 Likes

While watching the NYC cops getting attacked and kick I kept asking myself why isn’t one of these cops pull his gun and put some holes into the attackers? From what I’ve learned; kicking to the head with a shoe on the foot is aggravated assault.

Am I getting something wrong?

7 Likes

I had that thought as well.
Getting kicked in the head, especially not seeing it coming, can be deadly.

8 Likes

That was a super chaotic situation on a public street with innocent bystanders around. If they had drawn and fired with all that movement they may not have hit their intended targets. Also being surrounded by all those attackers they may have had issues retaining their weapons if they tried to draw.

But I think this was an excellent example of why you want to stay off the ground whenever possible. You never know when others may come in to kick you when you are down and it is a lot easier for them to connect with your head when you are on the ground.

7 Likes

To @Shamrock’s point. GET UP, Do Not Go Fetal! Roll, Crawl, Slide what ever it takes, Get Up NOW.

9 Likes

Still, one of the best movie scenes ever!

4 Likes

If you have a bottle of water in your hand, that can also be effective. The body always closes it’s eyes to protect itself if something is coming at it, and that may JUST give you enough time to gain the edge.

9 Likes

This is the precise premise of pepper spray. :wink:

11 Likes

This is getting into dangerous territory on the topic of self defense. Dead people tell tales (forensics, evidence) and these days you need to expect that there will be a few cameras catching everything to surface later.

Stop the imminent threat. No more, less.

8 Likes

Bingo, exactly…stop the threat so you know you are no longer in danger. By the way, I also agree on the cameras and such. I have gone around our block and shown my wife which houses have cameras reminding her if she takes walks with our grandkids and daughter to try and walk by the houses that have cameras to record whats going on. Ive also shown her diffeent ways to get in and out of our neighborhood if she feels threatened or something goes down. Safety, safety, safety…know your ways in and out of a places and keep abreast of your surroundings at all times.

4 Likes

That’s a bunch of ifs. I understand what you’re saying but I still think if one of them took a second to draw and get a round off the others would have scattered. His wingman there wasn’t being any help to the one that was down. He could backed off drawn his firearm and start to put holes in the attackers.

The heat of the moment and Monday morning qb are different things.

7 Likes

Mostly all great idea’s and useful suggestions and comments.
My issue is SURVIVALABILITY
Live to fight another day
Training, Training, Training in ALL Aspects of Self-D
I carry because I know what I can do with it (and I’m not AFRAID of using it)
I carry so I DON’T have to go toe to toe w/ attacker(s)
I LOVE KRAV ! It already saved my life TWICE! Maybe not from being dead, but
from serious beatings, But my firearm HAS saved me from death too many times to count.
You want to attack me? Rob me? Hurt my family? OK, Usually it will be the LEAD!
If you catch me off guard I will fight like I am possessed! You get in my wheelhouse then it’s
Fists and feet, head butts, throat punches whatever it takes to gain some distance and then the gun comes out. You pull a knife or a gun you are dead. It’s that simple for me.
I WILL NOT DANCE WITH SOMEONE. NOT ANYMORE.
I will end it FAST! and Yes, yes if I can avoid, Evade, Escape that is a good plan.
It only takes a real good choke hold, or a Lucky punch and it could be lights out for someone.
I AM licensed up the ass with Permits, I will avail myself to them in times of crisis
It’s NOT like any of us are carrying ILLEGALLY. (and DUH! we are insured!)
As long as the defense is RIGHTOUS (and 80%+ of the time it is) Shoot the bastard!
The age old 'He was such a good boy (Making people think twice about self d) is over.
If I have a snarling, aggressive attacker in front of me, advancing on me, they are going down.
No one tried to help those NYPD’s—NO ONE!. You have my partner on the ground, Sheepdog
gets activated, Multiple attackers are Multiple targets. when the dust settles and both of us are still alive THEN we can answer a review board, a Judge and Jury whatever. Alive beats the alternative.
The dead can’t defend themselves.
You Train to shoot accurately, not pray and spray. Crowded streets, Innocents all around I am not going to sustain damage because I am afraid of collateral damage or the ‘what if’s’ If I shoot.

Be a LION , not a lamb.
Stay Frosty people
WWG1WGA
No step on snek

7 Likes

What he said! Every last ducking word of it is truth.

5 Likes

That is my point. The officers didn’t seem to feel all that threatened by the other attackers. They were super focused on detaining the guy on the ground and seemed to be almost completely ignoring the attacks from the other participants even when those attackers appeared to be landing blows to their heads.

I certainly wouldn’t have been ignoring the other attackers but for whatever reasons these officers were. They were either ignoring the threat or felt the threat was not great enough to justify drawing a firearm or even enough to turn and focus some physical action against it. Drawing a firearm and trying to get a quick shot off in that environment appears to be an action they either felt was unnecessary or too risky to try. So I’m not going to second guess their call on that.

They got away with only minor injuries and managed to arrest several of the suspects. Seems like a good job on their part. Too bad the DA appears to have let almost all of them walk away:(

3 Likes

My point is more along the lines of even with training you can get caught up in the moment and forget it. When we should use this as a reminder to keep our heads and know you’re out numbered and need to take a different course of action.

4 Likes

I AM ecstatic these two Officers prevailed
Caught a couple of the bastards, Good for them
BUT showing your backs, exposing your head to the enemy is foolish!
What if’s?
It was a Garbage pail
A knife to the neck?
A steel Toe kick, LIGHTS out that’s what! They then take YOUR gun and finish you off.
Flag draped Coffin, Death Parade, TAPS and a hole in the ground.
NO SIR!
WE Gunner’s can’t make mistakes like this.
Why expose yourself while trying to do the right thing anymore?
They caught a couple, Bravo! only to get released like Trout!
THEY COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED!
Fat comfort for their Families.
I AM sick of burying dead Hero’s

LET’S start Burying the Sc**bags!
Let’s start Sweeping the phucking streets
Cleaning the Vermin outta OUR House!

ARE WE WAITING FOR?

4 Likes