1911 Reliability

My full size and compact RIA 1911s have been flawless with minimum 500 rounds each sent down range.
Now that I’ve convinced myself to carry OWB, I’m ready to carry them in colder months when they’re easier to conceal.

3 Likes

So only 1911’s can have these failures?

5 Likes

Bump and more bump.

1 Like

There is nothing more to say… 1911 is reliable in 100%, so from logical perspective… we cannot request more reliability from it :wink:

6 Likes

God was not a gun designer.

He gave us John Moses Browning

6 Likes

Over 35 years with the same stock Colt Series 80 and only 2 jams, which were caused by the ammo.
That’s pretty darned reliable, isn’t it?

4 Likes

I love my 1911. But with the exception of my AMT .22mag, the 1911 is the gun I’ve experienced the most jams with.

1 Like

Ammo related?
What’s the pistol model?

3 Likes

Hi jerzy. Pistol is SA 1911 Loaded. Don’t remember the ammo, some FMJ target load I would presume. Seems like i have one or two jams each time I take it out, especially when I let my wife or friends shoot it. Great gun, but certainly not as reliable as any of my XDMs.

3 Likes

Thx @Gary406 for the info.

It’s not the first time I’ve heard about SA’s failure-to-feed or failure-to-extract issues.
Looks like both, SA1911 and SA35 are a finicky eaters.
There is also a possibility that it may be a user’s error, especially when your wife or friends are not having a really good grip to support proper pistol slide reciprocation.

3 Likes

weak wrist thing… if you don’t have a firm grip and steady hand many firearms will jam…

1911’s are bad for that… but it’s not just 1911’s

6 Likes

You’re probably right. But my XDMs don’t care if you’re wrist strength intolerant. Nor my Glocks. Nor my Ruger… I just consider the 1911 the least reliable of the semi-autos I own (except for my AMT .22mag – that thing hates everything you try and feed it), except Winchesters for some reason.

3 Likes

I can agree with the statement: all plastic handguns are more weak hand tolerant than 1911, but it doesn’t mean 1911 is less reliable.
In this case I would blame users, not tools.
From shooter’s perspective - the handgun should be matched to hands’ capabilities.

6 Likes

I think that is exactly what it means. More prone to malfunctions (regardless of reason) = less reliable.

1 Like

Yes, I understand your point of view, and I know that 1911 can be unreliable in some hands.

Your case is just opposite to mine - Glocks completely don’t fit my hands, they are too light and shoot high. Are Glocks the worst handguns? Are they inaccurate and unreliable? Nope, they are not… They just don’t fit my hands and don’t match my requirements as good shooting tool.

3 Likes

I’m with you on the Glocks. I’m not a hater, just not a fan. I only own one, but it has never failed to go BANG! every time I pull the trigger.

4 Likes