1911 Reliability

You’re a better Man than me @Fred_G !

Stay safe.

3 Likes

Interesting…you have just described me, my EDC and home defense handguns.
After 3 years of playing with different firearms I decided to go with 2011s.
I invested in 2, one for carrying and other for home defense.
I use them everyday, every night, I’m attending classes at least once per week. Both handguns are treated as life saving tools, these are not shelf exhibits.
Yes, I’m dropping magazines wherever I have to… and I do not care how do they look after classes. These are designed to be in mud, sand or water. Maintenance brings them back to normal functionality.

To be honest, we had this discussion last year… and I was surprised that time, how many people was afraid to drop magazines on concrete ground… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I was mentioning this several time… I was not going cheap or save money on my safety.

5 Likes

Mags are disposable. Now dropping my 1911 onto concrete on a regular basis might put me back into a Glock. :grinning:

It is interesting how easily some 1911 finishes wear. WC’s AT wears very easily, as does Kimber’s painted finish. Looking forward to trying out a DLC finish on my next 1911. It is supposed to be pretty tough.

4 Likes

I wish I had the budget and opportunity to take a class once a week. Awesome!

5 Likes

Sometimes it is not a matter of budget. I’m Instructor myself and that makes everything easier. :wink:

3 Likes

Highly recommended.
My 2011s are DLC coated and take tough beat up. No sign of kydex holster wear as well. Definitely great coating.

4 Likes

I am getting the coating on my 1911. Can not wait for it to get done. Waiting for gunsmith to machine me a new barrel bushing. Parts are not available for it so, he has to machine it for me.

4 Likes

I’m complete layman about coating.
Is it hard to do DLC coating? Or is it same procedure as fe. cerakote but more expensive?

3 Likes

I bought my current 1911 back in the mid-80s.
Over the decades I’ve only had one Fail to Feed which I was able to attribute to aluminum case Wal-Mart ammo.
No more Wal-Mart ammo for me, but the 1911 is a keeper :+1:

4 Likes

DLC is a “Diamond Like Coating” is a coating process similar to a PVD used on specialty steel, carbon steel, aluminum, titanium, nickel, brass, and more. This process occurs in a vacuum at working pressure and involves bombardment of the putter to be coated with energetic positively charged ions during the coating process to promote high density.

Cerakote is a composite epoxy coating made with a polymer-ceramic. Remember that Ceramic is an extremely hard substance. The end-result is that Cerakote can be applied to any hard surface; meaning that we regularly apply Cerakote to plastics, metals, and even wood.
Cerakote can be done at home with a paint gun but the DLC takes the proper equipment.

5 Likes

I’m very surprised that you did not already know.

1 Like

I may know a lot… but everybody gets limited brain capacity :wink:

4 Likes

OK. That is what I was wandering. Not easy to achieve without proper conditions.
Thx ! :handshake:

3 Likes

Put it in a large leather pouch with a Med kit label on it… no one will know… :rofl:

3 Likes

If your 1911 can run 500+ rounds without a failure, it should be good to go. Good luck with that.

3 Likes

500 rounds? Mine are reliable then. :grinning:

8 Likes

Reliability of mine pistols started from round 1.
The question is when will it finish? :thinking:
I’m guessing I will find it out from Heaven in next Century or so… :smiley:

3 Likes

I HAVE THREE 1911S. THEY ARE VERY RELIABLE. I WILL OCCASIONALY HAVE A JAM OR STOVEPIPE BUT IT’S RARE. :relaxed:

3 Likes

Let’s hope you do not have a stovepipe or other malfunction during a critical incident.

1 Like

Stovepipe is mostly caused by bad grip. It never happened to me with any of 1911/2011. It happened with striker fired handguns.
However after parctice - nothing beside double feed should scare us.

2 Likes