18 U.S. Code § 2385 - Advocating overthrow of Government

This is important to know. So many people say that overthrowing a tyrannical government is written in the Vonstitutiin.

I’ve never heard that. I have heard people refer to the Declaration of Independence in that light.

3 Likes

@OldGnome
That’s what I mean.

I’m not advocating anything here and know that this whole thing will blow over and America will go on. We have our highs and our lows. I try to prepare for both.

With that, there are always laws against government overthrows. Did you thing the Revolutionary War was legal in the eyes of England? Or that the Civil War was legal? Of course they are illegal. It doesn’t really change anything for those that are truly intent upon a revolt or coup d’état, bloody or otherwise.

3 Likes

I don’t see any legitimate stand to attempt to overthrow the government (USA). We need to vote the bad politicians out. But I see out of control government and want to stop it from violating our constitutional rights. Vote. Volunteer in government. Run for office. Frankly, I can do that successfully in my opinion. I did but no longer feel capable.

3 Likes

By definition, any attempt to overthrow a government is illegitimate.

I believe the primary purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to give the people the necessary power to carry out the replacement of a government that grows too unresponsive to the populace.

But, who decides? That’s a great question.

9 Likes

Agree. We need better politicians and I really think we need a third political party that has good funding so it can compete.

I’m so sick of seeing posts from people saying shit like, “stand up and fight”, “let’s hold these politicians accountable” and they mean physically fight. I’m just like… yeah, when you form your million person militia to fight the US military let us know, otherwise just shut-up. The changes need to be made politically.

2 Likes

We, the people, no longer have political power. Our votes no longer count - the ballot counters are now in control with the consent of the U.S. Congress.

As have many nations gone in the past, now go we.

10 Likes

The winners decide

My bad, it was Stalin that said, those who count the votes, decide everything, smart man, is that what we aspire to now?

3 Likes

I don’t aspire to that but, sadly, it seems that’s where we’re at as a country

1 Like

That makes two of us! I actually thought it was more like 80,000,000

2 Likes

The Legal category is only for Second Amendment/firearms-related legal conversations so this topic has been moved to the Current Events Category.

Also, please be forewarned advocating violence or illegal activity isn’t an appropriate conversation in the Community. I’m sure none of you will do that :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t see any of that in this thread, only discussion of our rights and what can legally be done when we are being subjugated by a tyrannical government that will soon be installed.

3 Likes

The Declaration of Independence specifically was the result of many attempts by the American Colonies to mend their broken relationship with Great Britain. Beginning in 1761 through 1775, the colonists sought to have their plight recognized by the Crown and Parliament to no avail. The Declaration of Independence was Colonies declaration that they were no longer under the crown because of the despotism and tyranny of the king that they “are, and of right to be, free and independent states … absolved from the British crown.”
These men “pledge[d]” to each other their “lives,” “fortunes and” “sacred honor.”

To the king, it was a declaration of treason! Had the colonies lost the war, those involved would have been hung!

Then, when the Constitution was written and ratified, defined 1, and only 1, crime … TREASON! Article III Section III Paragraph 1. “Treason against the United States, shall consist of levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort.”

7 Likes

So your AR-15 or even a pistol magazine with more than 10 or 12 rounds will be illegal soon enough. We’ll have to watch our posts once the changes hit. Any bets on how soon simply owning a pistol that holds no more than 7 or 8 rounds is illegal? 2 years? 1 year? Less?

5 Likes

It will be wrong to say mom or dad, boy or girl, first… oh wait tooo late that ones already real on the hill…

4 Likes

I cannot begin to guess what laws may be passed in the next few months or years. I definitely wouldn’t bet on anything political at this point as the last few days have shown us that nothing political is certain or etched in stone. :woman_shrugging:

What is certain is that advocating violent or illegal behavior is not allowed in the Community per the Community Guidelines.

4 Likes

We have the opportunity to overthrow the government every two years, on election day.

1 Like

Except when the election is rigged.

5 Likes