12ga for a truck gun, thoughts and opinions?

Cooper is Cooper, but, we shouldn’t probably be comparing to the M-16, that platform has come a long ways since then. A Mini-14 wont’ quite do everything a modern AR-15 style rifle will do. They are ubiquitous for good reason

What is the purpose of a “truck gun?” You did not specify. Will it be used as a jack handle in the event you need to change a tire?

1 Like

I think there are better choices.

If you want to go the .22LR route

• look at the takedown version of the Ruger 10/22. Small size when broken down can fit in a backpack. You get a full 16" barrel when assembled. 10rnd mags stow in the stock (Magpul takedown version) and 25rnd mags are available and reliable.
  • look at the Ruger Charger in .22LR. It’s a “pistol” which can be used as a pistol or add a brace. Similar advantage to the 10/22 with reliable 25rnd mags
  • Keltec CP33. Holds 33 rounds in the magazine and runs just like a regular pistol. I’ve heard it can be finicky with ammo though…

If you want to stay in the AR platform, at 7.5" barrel length you need to look at alternative calibers…

For a 7.5" barrel, that is perfect for 300Blackout. Supersonic rounds are still plenty loud, but not like a 5.56 round at that length. Arguably at close range is it is more effective than 5.56. You can run subsonic rounds with or without a suppressor for reduced noise. A nicely tuned 300BO can switch between sub/supersonic mags easily as needed.

Some folks will say run a pistol caliber AR, which is OK… but I would rather a purpose built PCC (Evo, Sig and Ruger have several models, Stribog, B&T, HK SP5 $$$$$) that doesn’t need a buffer tube. That lets you have shorter length when folded/stowed away and it can operate in that folded position. Super maneuverable inside a car and then pop out the brace/stock when you exit the vehicle.

6 Likes

I prefer the Taurus Judge, 1st 3 , 410 buck the next 45s

1 Like

Maverick® 88®

MavbyMossbergLogoCOLOR_web\ 142x44THE WORKING MAN’S SHOTGUN

5+1 and 7+1
one in 20" barrel and one is 18.5"

Maverick 88 - Security

Maverick 88 - Security

Cheap and dependable for truck gun. I have seen the torture testing. both 3" shells and no choke.
The shot gun lasted and did very well. Firearms are light weight and Barrels can be changed.

2 Likes

12ga Shockwave will work beautifully for your truck.

1 Like

Good points. I’m glad to see you say running sub-sonic rounds without a suppressor in 300BLK. I could never see why people downplayed doing that if it had significant sounds reduction even without a suppressor.

Personally, I’m done with the PCC game. I am 0-2 in that match-up as they just don’t want to feed hollow-points, good hollow-points at that. Rifle caliber, pistol, shotgun, good to go. Unless somebody wants to give me a sweetheart deal on an MPX or SP5. :smiley:

2 Likes

AR 45 CMMG Banshee

3 Likes

2 Likes

I’m a fan. You get less sound (but far from quiet :slight_smile: ). It’s easy to swap mags as needed, although IME switching sub/super in the same mag causes me intermittent cycling issues. I have heard some folks have trouble cycling subs without a suppressor but I have not experienced that. It is worth testing if you go that route though.

I’m a HUGE fan of the Banshee series. Arguably the best AR platform PCC. Correct me if I’m wrong though, but it does still require a buffer tube and the added length that comes along with it. Which is my reasoning for preferring a PCC that doesn’t have one in the “truck gun” application. My personal opinion is if I’m going to have all that length, I’d rather a rifle caliber. However, the reduced concussion of the .45 is appealing and if you attach a LAW folder you can at least have the shorter length when stowed.

2 Likes

For years I kept a .357 Mag in my truck tucked in between the bucket seats. It was upside down (for a fast pull) from the holster, with the holster in tight enough it didn’t come out with the gun, and with darked out windows. Depending on where you live think twice about leaving it in the truck when you’re not in it. Does your state allow a concealed gun in a vehicle? Colorado does except in Denver where you need it the most. Make sure you’re up on your particular area firearms restrictions. BUT, that being said, it’s harder to conceal a shotgun, not to mention how much wrangling would you have to do, to have it fight ready in a matter of seconds? I’ve have two police friends who said the average gun fight is over in about 4 seconds.
Accessibility is of utmost importance during a threat. Can you maneuver a shotgun in a few seconds in your truck if you need to? Where would you put it to keep some namby pamby who would go into a screaming fit if they saw it? If you’re surrounded by more than one jerk a shotgun would be awfully unwieldy with a steering wheel and maybe a 5 speed in the way, not to mention the truck seats,all in a matter of seconds in a life or death situation.
You’re really restricted in a vehicle…maybe consider a .357 or a .45 semi-auto…load it with Speer Gold Dot hollow points…

1 Like

Ah, for the days when the proper place for a shotgun in a truck was riding in the rack which straddled the rear window. Above or below the rifle, depending on what season was open.
:rabbit2: :deer: :duck:

3 Likes

Indeed suh…when I finally settled in southern Colorado a loooooooong time ago, every pick up truck had a headache rack with at least an 06 and a 12 ga. … sadly we lost…actually had the state stolen in the “dead of night” in 2010 when some big city multizillionairs snuck in under cover of darkness (like roaches) and “bought” the governor’s election. We’ve been in a down hill slide every since. Our traditionally red state turn a sick shade of blue.
I’ve been a certified firearms instructor for about 12 plus years…the first part of the class is going through all the “regulations” (see red chains) and laws pertaining to our Second Amendment. Our own state Constitution, written in the late 1800’s, provides that the right to keep and bear arms is absolute…but the demorats have a different definition of “absolute.”

3 Likes

I’m always carrying concealed for self defense but I do keep a Henry Survival AR-7 under my seat and a couple boxes of 22s in the console. Ya never know…

1 Like

If not already, please get a cable lock and secure it to the seat frame so that a tool is needed, at least, to steal it, and be sure to always lock the vehicle, with no stickers or any other gun association identification visible.

2 Likes