10 dead, 15 hospitalized in Canada mass stabbing attacks, police say

During the peak of post-9/11 security checks at airports, my non-threatening, blonde wife experienced more checks, inspections, and screenings than many of the more “difficult” looking travelers. The screeners mitigated their personal discomfort, and the TSA made its security quota.

2 Likes

There are two things on this.

First, the TSA can’t profile what a “safe” person looks like. Because if they did, potential bad guys would simply use that against us. Early in Iraq, for example, adversaries noticed that (mostly male) U.S. service members were not searching Iraqi women, for fear of offending the locals. So they started recruiting women to carry bombs, and started dressing suicide bombers as women. The same thing would happen at airports if the TSA let everyone through with blonde hair. Terrorists would either dye their hair blonde, or they would recruit blondes to sneak past TSA.

Second, I used to get pulled for “special screening” every time I went through the airport. They always insisted it was random, but I didn’t see how it could be random when I was chosen 90% of the time. Finally, an older TSA agent admitted to me that she was really interested in a person farther back in line, not me. But in order to avoid accusations of ethnic profiling, she pulled me from the line first, to make it appear random. So in a way, I guess I was doing my part to keep the airlines safe, even if it was unwittingly. :laughing:

3 Likes

Same with my wife… though she is not a blonde, so, likely it was not the hair color that was “suspicious”…

3 Likes

You never want to negatively target your voting base!
In addition they are literally on the payroll!

3 Likes

My 85 year old wife had to undergo “extensive” screening once in an airport. Yes, we have to make sure all those rabid seniors have to be checked very carefully. At 5’1" and 105 pounds my wife is certainly a frightening apparition, likely to scare most snowflakes half to death and give them permanent PTSD due to the trauma. Theater of the absurd.

5 Likes

This is what happens when the citizens right to self defense is taken from them. They are victims waiting for evil to find them.

3 Likes

Well how convenient. :thinking:

2 Likes

"Myles Sanderson had been released on parole in February
The stabbings raised questions of why Myles Sanderson — an ex-con with 59 convictions and a long history of shocking violence — was out on the streets in the first place.

He was released by a parole board in February while serving a sentence of over four years on charges that included assault and robbery. But he had been wanted by police since May, apparently for violating the terms of his release, though the details were not immediately clear.

His long and lurid rap sheet also showed that seven years ago, he attacked and stabbed one of the victims killed in Sunday’s stabbings, according to court records.

Mendicino, the public safety minister, has said there will be an investigation into the parole board’s assessment of Sanderson.

“I want to know the reasons behind the decision” to release him, Mendicino said. “I’m extremely concerned with what occurred here. A community has been left reeling.”"

4 Likes

Isn’t it though? No embarrassing answers to questions the coppers would rather not have asked.

2 Likes

At 59 convictions if that number is correct, I think we can safely say that Sanderson was what is called a career criminal. It has long been my strongly held opinion that after three felony convictions, we should throw away the key. All the weeping and sobbing and renting of garments about the cost of lifetime incarceration totally ignores the cost to society of the loss from the crime. How much is it worth to you to not have your fourteen year old daughter kidnapped, raped and murdered? Even a simple house burglary. Unless you have the expensive insurance policy, most homeowners policies are written for the current market value of the item stolen, so the 3 year old MAC that cost you close to 5 large is now worth maybe $1500 because MAC just brought out a super duper model that is twice as fast and has twice the capacity in all regards than your 3-year old model which would have served you quite nicely for perhaps the next seven years but now you have to spring for a new one or look around for a used one that suspiciously is on the market at only 3 years old —maybe it is your old one. Be sure to check the serial number. So your insurance company pays off and surprisingly your insurance bill is 20% higher next year. Just an ordinary adjustment your agent attempts to mollify you.

Then we have the astronomical cost of processing the felon each time he or she is accused of a new crime. Courts and all the processing with expensive law enforcement and lawyer types plus probation reports, are a tremendous cost to society that would be ameliorated by lifetime incarceration at hard labor. Angola State prison regularly houses hard core criminals at no cost to the state and regularly turns in extra money to the state general fund. If Mississippi can do it why not other states? Had a very interesting tour of Angola a few years back. It was a real eye opener after my experiences with CA institutions. We don’t call them prisons any more they are correctional institutions, like there is some sort of personality miracles being enacted inside.

2 Likes

Didn’t he have to have background check to get that automatic knife, I thought Canada did away with all weapons, apparently this guy was so smart that he came up with the idea that a knife could kill, who knew?

3 Likes