Your favorite obsolete pistol or rifle cartridge?

Your favorite obsolete pistol or rifle cartridge?

.41 Colt and 300 H & H - I think Black Hills makes the .41 - you’ll have to go custom to get a .300 rifle.

1 Like

Although some cartridges are not well known by the younger people they will never be forgotten by some.
IE: * 221 Fireball
* 22 Hornet
* 357 Maximum
* 218 Bee
* 45 Colt
* 38/55 * 375 Winchester
* 25/35
* 22 Swift
* 222 ( my first varmint rifle )
PS: many good memories, just to name a few.

1 Like

First: no pistol is obsolete. The supplies just get harder to acquire.

Second:

6 Likes

30 and 357 Herrett
256 Win mag
The TCU line
35 Remington
45-70

2 Likes

I will agree with the .35 Remington (a fine caliber) but not the .45-70, many new rifles and cartridge configurations have been made in the last 10 years. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a Thompson .45 ACP Pitbull 1911? It isn’t made anymore or can you find parts for it either!

1 Like

I recently gave my Remington 700, .300 H &H, to a close friend. I believe of all the firearms I have owned none could really beat it for having the ability to custom load based of game and it’s accuracy was second to none. As for ballistics it could hold its own against similar “modern” cartridges.

2 Likes

.357 Maximum, A dandy cartridge. It’s too bad there wasn’t proper ammunition for it for use in revolvers. The “new” .350 straight wall cartridge is a .357 max with a few minor dimensional changes.

Many years ago I wrote to Ruger and suggested a short carbine style rifle in .357 maximum. Their reply basically was not interested. We don’t have a short action rifle although later they came out with a short action bolt action but by that time the .357 max had gone the way of the dodo.

2 Likes

.45 Colt, though many, with good reason, would dispute the designation “obsolete”. Even in standard pressure loadings, especially in a good double action revolver, you have the punch of a 45 auto, and the reliability of a revolver. Even the gun grabbers would have some trouble finding an excuse to take it.

So it is that If I am compelled to be picking favorites, I’d call the 45 colt the “elite” obsolete.

3 Likes

I love shooting my Ruger-57 and the 5.7 round. The reason I feel it’s a little obsolete is that it’s just too expensive to buy large amounts of it and I can hardly find it anywhere. Wonder if it;s still being produced.

3 Likes

5.7x28 is hard to come by, my gun shop has a hard time getting it in and it often sells put quick, i have no need for that ammo presently but im starting to buy ammo for calibers i hope to own one day, got some 10mm and next is 5.7x28 followed by 410.

2 Likes

44 Russian. About 20 years ago I bought a Navy Arms / Uberti replica 44 Russian revolver because of the connection with Louis L’Amour western novels.

2 Likes

Welcome to our community!

Another fine cartridge! How does yours shoot?

1 Like

The gun is very accurate, very good groups, light recoil.

Great target gun. But sorry to Louis L’Amour, it’s just not well suited to the kinds of old west gunfights he wrote about in his novels. IMO.

(This uses modern 44 Russian ammo, by the way, not the original black powder. So technically it’s a modern version of an obsolete cartridge.)

When I first got it (about 20 years ago) I was shocked at what 44 Russian ammo cost at that time, and it was hard to get, so that is why I got into reloading. So over the years I’ve shot 5 boxes of commercial ammo and 1800 handloaded rounds.

1 Like

People ask if I save a lot of money handloading. No. But I get to shoot more for the same money!

Do you have a favorite powder and bullet combo? Do you cast your own bullets?

Here’s one for 1911 fans: The 38 Super! Is it obsolete? Have not seen any in the stores for at least two years…

I could be wrong but I don’t even think they have proper guides for reloading the 5.7 X 28, that is a recipe for obsolescence. However, I think many military and anti terrorism units still use it, especially the AP rounds.

There’s data online for accurate #5 and #7 and data for true blue, which is rumored to be what’s used in factory FN ammunition.

1 Like

Colt still offers a couple Government models in 38 Super.

2 Likes