Would you off-body carry?

Off-body carrying can be a viable option in a lot of situations. Just like any form of carrying, there are advantages and disadvantages.

Would you ever off-body carry?

• Yes
  • No
  • It depends

0 voters

When would you off-body carry?

Please share your thoughts below.

2 Likes
  1. in the car
  2. when accessing Range I’m not aware what their rules are (I’ve been at few ranges where they required no firearm on the body)
  3. at work when I’m sitting for a longer time
6 Likes

“It Depends.”

I use a Wilderness Tactical “Safepacker” in vehicles. Other than that rig, everything else is on my body and secured in a holster.

I couldn’t live with myself if I ever left a firearms unattended in public.

Stay safe out there.

6 Likes

I have. When I used to go into the office of my former employer, my mode of dress (and corporate rules) prevented on-body carry. I carried anyway, in a soft case inside my briefcase. Generally, I am not in favor of off-body carry, but there are times when it is the only option.

10 Likes

I did off body carry in the past but no longer. For some of the reasons already mentioned in the other posts as only options.

5 Likes

Off body but really really close? Would probably works in many circumstances but with the space/time continuum I would prefer to have it on my body as much as possible. In my desk while I’m sitting there might work but as soon as I walk into the board room I’m too far away. In my car while I’m driving is OK but as soon as I step out to pump gas I could be compromised…

3 Likes

The only time I leave the house with a gun that is not on my person is when I am going to the range and taking several guns with me, in which case they are in my range bag. No other exceptions.

2 Likes

In the truck as a last resort system. Can’t think of any other time I’d want to. I could see a female using a purse. Is that considered off body? I wouldn’t recommend carrying like that but could imagine it happening.

2 Likes

Your personal space is 3 feet around yourself. Anything within this area is your personal space. The closer someone comes to you, the more into your personal space they are. Where am I going with this? OH yeah, having something like a gun on you makes it more secure mentally as well as physically.

3 Likes

I prefer not to carry off-body. The only time I do is when I have a backup gun with me, which is usually if my wife does not want to carry her’s, so I’ll put it in my backpack. This really only happens when we are going for a walk, and I wear the backpack while doing so. Other than that, I keep my firearm on my person, even when I am on a long car ride.

2 Likes

Ditto, except being a shop rat, hidden compartment of my carry bag…
Ironic, working on mil aviation components, clearances, badges, all doors secured and monitored…but heaven forbid we be allowed to protect ourselves.

2 Likes

1 Like

Yes. I have after I had triple hernia surgery I had to wear sweatpants with no belt so I used a fanny pack to carry. It worked. :us:

6 Likes

Not sure I would count a fanny pack as off body as long as you don’t take it off?

I occasionally fanny pack carry when backpacking. Can’t wear a gun on my hip with a pack hip belt on. Though I now have good pocket carry options.

The other time I off body carry is when traveling through states that don’t recognize my carry license. Then the gun is either in a locked case secured to the vehicle or a locked case in my bag to carry into the hotel at night.

4 Likes

Ever consider suspenders with a holster?

3 Likes

I have in the past but then discovered NEXBELT. :+1:

3 Likes

When I’m cutting firewood:

• I’m operating a hazardous tool (and marginal weapon, I suppose) with both hands;
  • I’m wearing saw chaps and tool belt over all clothing;
  • my hearing is impaired;
  • I’m way out in the sticks;
  • I’m more worried about being killed by errors and gravity than bad hombres or wild animals;
  • I’m tired and covered in sawdust, twigs, and oil on uneven ground;
  • I don’t need another hazard within arms’ reach to worry about all day.

I want to have a weapon with me and readily accessible, but not on my person. I use a cross-body bag which looks more like lunch than anything else — with a kydex holster velcroed into one compartment, spare magazine in another, phone in another, wallet and general treasure collection in the main pouch. It gets staged in or near the work area to be unobtrusive and tactically accessible. I can “wear” it as more or less a crossdraw or shoulder holster when not involved in something else, or when driving, or when approached by strangers — without appearing too brandish-y.

I haven’t found another time out of the house when off-body seems like the right solution for me.

4 Likes

Never and always are hard to sell. There may be a time where a firearm is in a case of some kind.

3 Likes

It depends on the situation and what I am wearing. In the summer I probably would if I had a quick access fanny pack to access it. I don’t do well with carrying in the summer because I have a high metabolism and sweat easy. I’ve been exploring options for off body carry. But the only problem with off body carry is it is a lot riskier and requires more responsibility to prevent unauthorized access. Especially by kids. You have to be aware of where your firearm is at all times or keep it locked up in certain states if it is not within your reach

2 Likes

I may have just been forced to seriously consider off body. Just got my strong side wing carved on by the VA. Left hand will be useless for a couple of weeks.

I’ve practiced with the off side but don’t have any holsters for right side.

1 Like