Would a new assault weapons ban affect rifles I already own?

A little bit off topic. I was under the impression that how long records of purchases was limited to 1 year. I cannot remember where I got that numberhowever.

1 Like

First, we need to force the politicians to be honest about what it is they are talking about. By espousing their ā€œassault weaponā€ rhetoric as they do they doing only three things. They are demonstrating their own ignorance, their dishonesty, and instilling an unfounded fear into the public in order to further their aganda. What they call assault weapons and weapons of war are in fact neither. They are not assault weapons by dictionary definition or by the definition contained in the USC - United States Code.

These so-called assault weapons are nothing more than semi-automatic rifles that LOOK like military rifles. If we are going to ban something merely because of itā€™s aesthetics, letā€™s carry the argument to its logical conclusion. Letā€™s ban Jeep Wranglers and Hummers -they look like military vehicles. (And vehicles kill more more people every year than firearms do in a decade). Letā€™s ban camouflage clothing - it looks like military clothing. Just think of the lives that could be saved every year by reducing the number of accidental hunting shootings caused by some fool in the woods during hunting season wearing camo. (Deer, by the way, are color blindā€¦they donā€™t know or care what colors you wear, but it would be nice to be visible to other hunters.)

True assault weapons are already banned in this country. To own one requires a specialized federal license which is extremely difficult to obtain. Even as a police officer in Texas my application for one was rejected.

And lastly, thereā€™s the fact so simple that any 2nd grader could understand it. It is mind boggling that our adult politicians canā€™t seem to understand it. CRIMINALS DONā€™T OBEY LAWS !! Rather than pass a law that bans an item based only on its looks and accomplishes nothing tangible, letā€™s enforce the laws we already have, and revamp the legal system to take preventative measures to insure that convicted felons and mentally unstable individuals cannot gain easy access to firearms.

2 Likes

Not a lawyer but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn. In the communist state of Massachusetts the current attorney general decided (3 years ago) that too many AR types were being sold and banned anymore sales effective in like 12-15 hours later in the day. Needless to say the run on ARs was unreal; everything in stock and in the pipeline was SOLD. At the same time all existing AR types owned in MA were grandfathered in as allowed to own. Gun owners have gone to court. Doesnt answer your question directly.

1 Like

I noticed that a while back Wildrose posted comments about gun registration. The post was regarding state gun registration.

Although there is not an formalized federal registration, or even a universal state registration, be assured that every firearm you purchase is in fact registered by both governments. A record of the sale of a firearm is recorded by both governments by means of mandatory filing of certain forms filled out during the purchase.

It is this data base that allows for the tracing of a firearm in criminal and other types of investigations. LE investigators can match certain markings on a casing to a particular make and model. From there they can track the ā€œlifeā€ of that firearm from the manufacturer to the last legally legitimate purchaser of it. (I donā€™t want expose the exact processes that are involved but it is not an overly difficult process to track a firearm).I

In the event of a report of a stolen firearm, it too can be identified (and tracked if pertinent) by its serial number, from the data base.

Donā€™t be fooled by politicianā€™s cries to register firearmsā€¦they already are. These cries are just another example of the deceit used by politicianā€™s to instill fear and garner support for their true agenda of disarming the population.

1 Like

If you buy through an FFL the 4473ā€™s have to be retained as long as they are in business and then either transferred to another FFL or turned over to the FBI.

2 Likes

That is not true. They cannot keep those records for more than one year.

The hard copies of the 4473ā€™s are the only permanent record and they have to be searched by hand. It is a violation of federal law to maintain the records in a searchable database.

If the purchase/transfer was made over a year ago they have to go through the manufacturer to identify the retailer, the retailer then to identify the last recorded purchaser.

1 Like

I guess if I had thought about it 1 minute longer than I have, that it would have struck me that there is a reason the manufacturer sends the FBI bullets. By my thinking, that would be a worthless process after 1 year.

1 Like

As far as I know that requirement was never passed. It was certainly suggested but I donā€™t think it was ever implemented.

2 Likes

Than how can they pull bullets from victims and track it to the firearm?

1 Like

Normally they canā€™t. What they can do is match the bullet to a gun once they have both the bullet AND the gun. In theory, they can match bullets to other bullets from previous cases but I donā€™t know how many agencies are set up to do so.

That says 2 states have ballistic fingerprinting

1 Like

Funny, the more posts I read here and GOA, the more I realize that I need to read more.

2 Likes

As do we all @George16, as do we all.

2 Likes

I joined the USCCA years ago and just let it lapse. I am sorry now for the time I missed. The organization was new then, I am glad to see that it succeeded.

1 Like

They canā€™t except on TV.

You can only to that if theyā€™ve got the ā€œsuspected weaponā€ already in evidence.

Part of what you see on TV is the anti gun nutā€™s dreams whereby they are trying to convince the public that we need these ā€œreasonable gun safety measuresā€ to solve and prevent crimes.

How it works in the real world is that they have a suspect, find the gun, test fire the gun, then match bullets/casings with those from the crime scene.

Not that I want to encourage anyone else to do it but you can alter the gun in just a few minutes to make all of those common matching systems useless.

1 Like

Each barrel has itā€™s own rifling fingerprint, so new barrel = new prints. Casing and extractor marks might take a little more work.

Iā€™m not going to say exactly how but you donā€™t even need to change the barrel.

Iā€™ll just say this. Find some videos on new barrels showing what they look like before and after lapping and leave it at that.

Five minutes with a dremel and a drill bit takes care of the rest.

1 Like

Right :slightly_smiling_face: whatā€™s important to know is that the push for ballistic fingerprinting from anti-gun people is pointless because it doesnā€™t really work. Wear on the components from firing, repair and replacement, lapping, all alter the markingsā€¦ Itā€™s a lot of restrictions and cost to no significant end. Just another form of punishing the law abiding gun owner without affecting the bad guy.

2 Likes

Obviously I watch too many LE wins movies! LOL

Itā€™s a ridiculous intrusion on our privacy and rights against self incrimination.

It also would guarantee registration because without a registration database banking those specā€™s would be useless.

1 Like