Would a new assault weapons ban affect rifles I already own?

If you don’t mind, let me translate that a bit.

If you sold drugs legally yesterday but tomorrow it becomes illegal you cannot be prosecuted for the prior act of selling drugs, only if you continue.

If you possessed a legal firearm on Monday, that becomes illegal on Tuesday and you still posses it you can constitutionally be prosecuted because you are still in possession of the now illegal firearm.

Correct?

1 Like

That is true. A good example is bath salts that have over the last several years been made illegal. A store could sell them before the change in law but, after the law goes in to effect, the sale becomes illegal. The same would become true of a firearms ban.

2 Likes

From an Australian commentator regarding the success of their national gun ban:

"It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law tosurrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in ‘successfully ridding Australian society of guns…’ You won’t see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.
The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note Americans, before it’s too late!"

This is how a gun ban will affect you, whether or not you currently own any of the banned weapons.

Regards.

6 Likes

Thanks Mike. Best answer I’ve seen.

1 Like

On the money.

1 Like

I have two very very good friends one has been my best friend since our first day in high school (1963) both say there coming for our AR15, AKs etc. he said if law enforcers need to break our doors down they’re coming for them. He told me to bring mine in and get pictures and receipts for them. That’s what he said, that what I am telling all of you. He said nothing more and nothing less. My friend is an honest FBI agent, former US Marshal. If he tells me more I will relay it to our group. Like I said we’re friends over 55 years now.

1 Like

Robert I dont doubt what your friend told you but i have one question. How will they know who owns ARs etc.?

2 Likes

You’re guess is good Mike, my buddy says all they have at the moment ( which is now about 3 weeks ago) was going off gun dealers records. And; like an Honor system such as England or Australia. So if that’s all for the moment this could/would take many years and in some situations Never. When I hear about anything different I will be forthcoming about what I know.

On a different yet related note
I bet old lady Feinstein is so smug now, the old crow may finally have her way.

3 Likes

Ex post facto did not seem to mean that Al Capone could keep his tommy gun. But also, if you can write and enforce laws that violate the Second Amendment to the Constitution, which is the highest law in America, then you can do about anything. And, of course, if patriots simply surrender and comply, then we are just sheep hoping that our word games and wishful appeals will make a difference, as we lose everything.

3 Likes

The last “assault weapons” ban grandfathered in previously owned AR’s. If our current Congress enacts a sweeping confiscation ban, it will be a whole different animal. Gun owners and others who support the constitution will have a very difficult, personal choice to make. Look, one of the reasons law makers slowly chip away at the second instead of outright confiscation is to keep gun owners from decisively deciding to collectively resist in large numbers with force. If the day comes that guns are outright banned and confiscation is ordered, I believe that will be the “line in the sand” for the majority of gun owners. If people feel like hope for 2A preservation is finally lost, it is scary to think about what will happen to our nation. I pray to God that the supreme court steps in quickly a finally puts the nail in the coffin for gun control by reaffirming the 2A with well defined and articulated language.

4 Likes

If the incumbent administration will not sign a bill, and if it goes through the US Supreme Court any legislation would take some time but if not then who knows? All we can say so far, it may or may not get some play.

1 Like

An ex-post facto law is prohibited, because it punishes one for conduct that was not illegal at the time of the conduct. What you’re really asking is whether Congress could outlaw possession of certain weapons, which were legal at the time of purchase. The answer is “yes.” Is it politically likely? Probably not. It’s more realistic that high capacity magazines will be banned. Maybe universal background checks. Toughened gun law enforcement, perhaps. Conceivably, Congress could limit how much ammo you can buy, over a given period, like they do with Sudafed, to discourage meth labs.

1 Like

Many states already have registration at the state level and while there’s no federal registration per se they can follow every firearm from it’s manufacture to it’s last buyer who filled out a 4473.

One reason many people I know over the years never buy new, they only buy through private sales without a federal or state transfer involved at all; where of course it’s legal to do so.

1 Like

The gov’t can now pretty much do whatever it wants as long as they can get a favorable ruling from at least one federal judge.

It can easily take 3-5 years for a case to work it’s way up from the lower courts through the appeals process before it’ll even be considered for review by the SCOTUS unless the SCOTUS decides to grant an expedited appeal on an emergency basis.

If you load the court with anti 2nd Amendment justices they can push it back even further.

Conceivably you could have a federal ban on everything but muzzle loading weapons passed and signed into law with seizures required goign house to house and vehicle to vehicle seizing guns for up to five years or more before it could eventually be overturned.

That could easily take as many as 200-250 million guns off of the streets and run through the grinder before it was round unconstitutional.

Short of widespread armed rebellion there’s really nothing we could do to stop it either.

1 Like

It wouldn’t even require a large minority much less majority of us to refuse.

Conservatively we have around 150 million generally lawful/law abiding gun owners in the us and as many as 50 million armed criminals and between us we have around 350-400 million firearms.

Imagine if only 10-30% were willing to resist with force?

Imagine the LA/Rodney King Riots of the 90’s x 100 spreading to every metro area, city, and town in the US.

Imagine an insurgency similar to that in Afghanistan that has now fought three off the world’s largest and most powerful armies to a draw three times in the last century taking place here.

Many democrats would tell you that could never happen here but I hope and pray their leaders pushing this insanity do understand that it most certainly can and will if they push too hard, too fast.

1 Like

Even if they are grandfathered under a new AWB that AWB will almost certainly make it unlawful to transfer them in the future meaning like in NY once you die or if you want to get rid of them at some point in the future they must be turned in to the state, anything else will be a felony.

1 Like

Government as it was established in America under the Constitution is supposed to serve the interests of the people. If the people allow government to become their rulers, rather than their servants, simply because those in government simply write new laws saying that this is now the case, then the people deserve what they get. Unfortunately, it looks like the people will eventually accept without complaint that the servant is now the ruler. This is nothing surprising, because this is what happens when the servant takes care of idle, incompetent, and utterly dependent “masters”. The one who actually runs everything while others play and sip lemonade, ends up in control, and the idle are happy to give it their power, which is not as important to them as their time of leisure. This is why pigs are content to live in their pens, filthy though they be. They get to be taken care of, and the idea that slaughter lies in their future is beyond their understanding or care.

2 Likes

I’d argue the primary reason the Federal Gov’t was established was to do those things specified in Article 1 Section 8 and to protect our rights. Further, to keep peace between the states and deal with foreign trade and affairs.

They have gone so far beyond their enumerated powers under the first and instead seem to focus primarily on violating the second.

3 Likes

I just re-read the Declaration of Independence…I would encourage everyone to do the same.

2 Likes

Please talk to your lawyer. It is worth writing down all your concerns and questions and spend a hours time talking

to the lawyer that knows your state’s laws. Worth the investment. I want you to stay out of jail and court, or worse.

1 Like