Women: why did you start carrying?

One of the fastest-growing segments of the firearm community is new female shooters. We are excited to see so many women in the USCCA Online Community, as members of the USCCA and as students in classes and private lessons across the country.

To all the women in the Community, why did you start carrying?

• I was/a close loved one was a victim of a crime
  • I became a mom and want to protect my children
  • I have my own place and want to protect myself
  • The current unrest in our country
  • Because it’s my right
  • Other Please share your thoughts below

0 voters

What is the hardest part about carrying?

• Finding time for training
  • Clothing isn’t designed to conceal
  • Expense (ammo and range time)
  • The range is intimidating/don’t feel welcome at the range
  • Small children in the home
  • Family/friends aren’t supportive/don’t like that I carry
  • Other Please share your thoughts below

0 voters

What, if any, activities have you had to change since you started carrying?

1 Like

My husband is RUGER9 here. He started taking me to the range when we were dating 7 years ago. I really like his Glock 26 but carry a S&W bodyguard 380 w/a built in green laser. He has tought me so much & signed me up for some women only training classes that were fantastic. I feel my situational awareness is 100% better & am confident in my ability to access & use my EDC if needed.

4 Likes

I look forward to seeing the stats and comments, great Poll!

1 Like

I have several serious reasons honestly besides being a Mother, but that is my top priority. and haven’t YET had issues with my children
my most recognizable issue pertains to personal self defense which was 2 years ago when I was pregnant, my husband was jumped but I was not with him at the time. He received a broken rib. He now carries everyday and whenever possible. The other self defense issue was the unrest during Covid lockdowns. In that timeframe a neighbor come verbally assaulting my husband and I. Would that have been a reason to shoot someone? No. But I wasn’t even carrying pepperspray at minimum during the exchange which would have at least de escalated the attacker. This same neighbor actually did have another person in the neighborhood pull their gun on her, so that tells you she has a volatile reputation.

1 Like

Hi @jovan, like Mrs. @RUGER9 have you had any formal training classes?
That should be your next step in your self defense training.

Do you have your LTC/CCW? If you already have it, my recommendation would be to take the USCCA Defensive Shooting Fundamentals class. You’ll be amazed when you say after class, “wow, there is so much I just didn’t know prior to class”. The class is about 90% range, 10% classroom.

I’d love to see the vote results above, but I’d have to fill out the poll to do this and I am and identify as a guy so

1 Like

Gm😊. Im prior service Army but I am in need of regular training. I am pretty sure I can utilize those classes. Just upgraded my membership. My ccw should be in the mail any day. I am due to deliver a child in July, will begin active training soon after but I am staying abreast on fundamentals and 2A defensive laws. Have a blessed week!

1 Like