Women Concealed Carry

I’ve been carrying for a couple years now but have been around firearms my entire life. My wife on the other hand has been around firearms for a while but doesn’t have a whole lot of experience with pistols and has been talking a lot lately about getting her CCW lately. She does have a Walther PK380 but says that she wants something else to have as an EDC. Could some women on here or someone’s wife who carries give me some idea of what they like so I could do some research and find her something that she is more comfortable with.

Please
Thank you
God Bless

1 Like

My wife carries a Glock 43. The only downfalls are the 6 round capacity and the fact that a lot of people think standard Glock sights suck. The newer 43X has a 10 round capacity but also has aftermarket 15 round magazines if this is a concern.

https://shieldarms.com/glock-43x-48-15-round-mag

Good luck! If possible—find a range that offers rentals.

Thanks for the in put Seethe. I’m trying not to put my own personal bias into what to get her is the hard part. And I do agree Glock factory sights are trash at the minimum and for my Glock I won’t use a mag unless it has a TT baseplate. I’m setting up a range trip to a local range with rentals just trying to get some ideas on what to rent before getting there.

1 Like

You can check old thread, what other people said:

2 Likes

Something else, as in another handgun or an additional item? Such as my wife carries a SureFire E2D LED defender flashlight with a crenelated bezel. Great as a strike weapon and bright enough to blind during daylight.
The cool thing is, it’s always been allowed on an airplane and in federal buildings. It’s attached to her keys. No one questions it.
Another great addition to EDC is Kimber Pepper Blaster and of course a small knife.
If it’s another handgun you’re looking for, anything chambered in 9mm. Both my daughters have had good times with the G43 w/extended magazine and better grips. Considering one for myself as a backup.

1 Like

Looking for something else as in a different gun. She already carries pepper spray on her key chain but will not carry a knife due to personal reasons. I’ve had her shoot my 9mm shield and she says that it’s too much for her to be able to rack.

1 Like

Let her try M&P9 EZ M2.0 - this one can be racked with two fingers.

3 Likes

WHAT EVER YOU DO don’t decide for her. We all get a little Poppa Bear when it comes to guns and women cuz of course as guys we know best, right? Wrong! When it comes to carrying concealed women have a whole host of issues that would never cross our minds, not to mention hand size and grip strength. The idea of going to a range with rental guns is a great one as it allows her to shake hands with different guns and then actually shoot them. We have a pawn/gun shop locally that has an all female staff and they KNOW their poop. They also host an “All Girl’s Gun Night” where a lot of topics on CCW get discussed with the girls it is a great asset. An EDC is a very personal thing and even more so for women (so I have observed) getting the right one the first time keeps them in the game, getting the wrong one or a bad experience keeps them from going to the range.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

Welcome to the family Ryan. I happen to be in the same boat as you and I’m trying to get my wife to conceal carry also. I believe it’s close and eventually she will do it. Try to find a way to get her out to the range.

1 Like

Hi @Ryan54 - check out this thread for some ideas as well:

Welcome to the Community!

3 Likes

@Dawn:man_facepalming:
:laughing: anyway, thank you for confirming my thinking was correct yesterday…

2 Likes

LOL! I totally missed you had the link in this thread! I did get a second coffee since then!

3 Likes

My wife has appropriated my Beretta APX for home defense. I suppose its partly my fault because as I blinged it out by adding a red dot and swapped in a heavier RSA to make it flatter shooting.

I actually don’t mind as the mag release button is a little awkward for me because my fingers get in the way of pushing it all the way through.

My wife finds the APX easy to rack. We think it has to do with the slide serrations. While the full size is a little big and on the heavier side for her, check out the Compact/Centurion sized ones as those are similar in size to the PK380.

2 Likes

I recently switched to a Ruger LCP .380 for my on body carry. I have a Taurus ultra lite .38 I carry in my purse. It’s a little bulkier and heavier, but I like the revolver for a purse. It just makes me feel better about shooting through it if I need to and requires more pressure to fire than my old carry weapon. Just got used to it in my bag. I like the Ruger. My husband wanted me to pick another pistol instead but the Ruger fits in my hand like it was made for me. It’s light, small and fits anywhere on me comfortably without having to wear a mumu. Both are accurate. If she’s not worried about size etc, one of my favorite pistols is my .40 Taurus. Excellent weight distribution and accurate all day any day. It feels really good. She really needs to handle the weapon she’ll carry to make sure it’s the one she’s comfortable with, but these are the ones I like. Someone gave me a Bursa .380 years ago and it was ok, but jams and wasn’t for me I got rid of it (to someone who knew its issues). I know a lot of people say to get one, but I never liked it. Good luck!

4 Likes

I get frustrated with the Missus–she is a licensed CCW permit holder, and is a good shot, yet she chooses to rely on me to carry.
She doesn’t like the hassle of carrying, she can’t carry at work, yadayadayada.
I’m just glad she knows how to shoot. I would prefer if she took a more active role in her protection.

1 Like

Welcome to the family and god bless you and carry on.

1 Like

Mine is the same way with everything, including money. If we are together, she usually doesn’t carry anything other than a cellphone.

1 Like

My wife is the same way she makes me carry everything. Heck I’m shocked she hasn’t asked me to start carrying her around yet!!

3 Likes

I carry a Walther PPS M2 and. Sig Sauer P938. Love the PPSM2. Easy break down. Hubby and I also carry Sig Sauer SP2022 in a waste belly pack conceal carry. Very reliable. Just depends on how she is going to want to carry.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family and god bless you.